Please help me track down an artist

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Please help me track down an artist

Postby crd5q » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi all,

A few years ago I had saved on my computer a picture I found while surfing. It was from a series someone did of LotR art that resembled Christian iconography. I've since changed computers and lost the picture... I don't remember the artist's name or anything... but I really want to check it out again!

There was a whole series of these paintings. The one I remember best was a black-cloaked and a white-cloaked figure, facing each other (no idea who they were...) The most striking thing about the series was that it looked just like icons. By icons I mean the ones venerated in the Orthodox Christian Church. I know I'm being really vague! This is so frustrating because I remember thinking how cool they were and now I am intruiged.

Does this description ring a bell for anyone? Thanks!!!
crd5q
Petitioner to the Council

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Jay Johnstone perhaps?

This is his personal page JaysTolkien
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby crd5q » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Wow!! That is... exactly what I asked for. A LotR picture in the style of an icon! But no, that is not it. Amazing, there must be two (at least) artists who have done that.

Thanks!
crd5q

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm 'into' art so I'll keep looking. Can you remember anything else about the artwork or artist? Do you recall if it was fan art or .. you said it was part of a collection.. was the entire collection LoTR related or various iconography?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby crd5q » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I will try! It was all LotR themed; and may have been fan art. It was very, very good though... professional quality. I think I cam e across it on a website about Tolkien art.

crd5q

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting