Silmarillion Project, Dresden Codak

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Silmarillion Project, Dresden Codak

Postby wilko185 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:34 pm

http://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/

Aaron Diaz wrote:It’s a side project I do in my free time to create a painted illustration to accompany every chapter in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Silmarillion, as well as provide supplementary illustrations to round out the characters and world in general. My motivation is to create a Middle-Earth visually unique from the style of the Peter Jackson films. I like the movies, but I miss the days when there was more diversity and interpretation to Tolkien illustrations.

A second motivation is to provide a greater representation of women and people of color in the narratives.[...]

Won't be to everyone's taste, but I think the anime look can work quite well for the Valar and elves.
wilko185
Mariner

Re: Silmarillion Project, Dresden Codak

Postby siddharth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:56 pm

This does offers a fresh new stylistic interpretation of Tolkien. I can see it will totally not work for anime-haters.

Personally, I love the paintings.
Not so much the sketches though. The Elves look good (except for the pointy ears) but I don't like the Valar.
I like the Annatar here. But Morgoth not. Looks like a dumb brute than anything. :D

My favorite of the whole lot is the meeting of Thingol and Melian. Brilliant.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting