Your favorite Tolkien Artists?

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Your favorite Tolkien Artists?

Postby siddharth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm

I looked back a few pages and surprisingly found no thread on this.

So, what are your favorite tolkien artists and what are your favorite pieces by them?

My favorite Tolkien artists in no particular order:

Ted Nasmith
Cor Blok
Alan Lee
Pauline Baynes
Stephen Hickman
JRR Tolkien himself!

They are all very different from each other (though Tolkien, Blok and Baynes share a certain medieval aesthetic), but together, they capture Tolkien quite well, IMO.

ETA: But I think Stephen Hickman produced one of the absolute best pieces of Tolkien art I have ever seen, and that is his "Siege of Gondor" seen here: http://img-fan.theonering.net/~rolozo/i ... /seige.jpg

Just perfect.
Last edited by siddharth on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Your favorite Tolkien Artistes?

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Donato Giancola:

Last edited by Gorthaur the Cruel on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am

My all-time favourite is probably Catherine (actually Katarzyna) Chmiel-Gugulska, Kasiopea by her artist name; I especially love her Silmarillion inspired works. And, another artist whose Tolkien illustrations I enjoy very much is Jenny Dolfen, or GoldSeven (her artwork, both Tolkien themed and other, can also be found in the Elfwood, Epilogue, and DeviantArt galleries).
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Joe Gilronan:

Last edited by Gorthaur the Cruel on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Re: Your favorite Tolkien Artists?

Postby morgulduin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Ted Nasmith and Cor Blok are two of my favourites too. Among other artists, I appreciate particular strengths they might have. John Howe's impression of Barad Dur is very original, and there's something about his depiction of rain and grass - atmospheric.

Sidd, that's a super piece by Hickman.
morgulduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

I really really like Cor Blok. Probably not too keen on his figures but I believe there is no one who draws Tolkien's broader landscapes as well as him.
I think Blok's style, with its abstract neo-dark ages/ early medieval flair, is a perfect fit for Tolkien's (and my) sensibilities.
But his website describes his style best:
Cor Blok manages to deftly sidestep the slavery to mere representation that most fantasy artists fall foul of. Anyone who has read Tolkiens’ On Fairy Stories and letters to Pauline Baynes can see why Tolkien appreciated a more abstract, graphic and symbolic approach to illustrating his work, and understood how representational images provide a too limiting version of something.

His Hornburg:

and Amon Hen

are (for me) one of the best Tolkien paintings in existence.

And I just found a new one of his that I love: The Rohirrim on the Road to Minas Tirith: Image
Brilliant! <3

rowanberry wrote:My all-time favourite is probably Catherine (actually Katarzyna) Chmiel-Gugulska, Kasiopea by her artist name; I especially love her Silmarillion inspired works. And, another artist whose Tolkien illustrations I enjoy very much is Jenny Dolfen, or GoldSeven (her artwork, both Tolkien themed and other, can also be found in the Elfwood, Epilogue, and DeviantArt galleries).

The ones by Dolfen are very good. "Oath of Feanor" and Ossiriand are my favorites among those. And the one with Ancalagon is the least impressive, too Godzilla-type for me.

I would add a lot of the work by David Day for the Tolkien Bestiary to my favorites list.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Your favorite Tolkien Artists?

Postby MeadowForest » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:24 am

Some really nice pieces here! great interpretations. I don't really know many Tolkien artists as such, though there is someone on DeviantArt who's done some lovely watercolour? pieces. If they've not been mentioned already I'll edit this post later.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting