Book Project - Personal copy of LotR

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Book Project - Personal copy of LotR

Postby wintermute » Sat May 03, 2014 2:38 am

G'Day,

I am new to TOR, and registered to converse with fellow fans about a project im working on....

I am plan to create a personal version of LotR, with The Silmarillion and Children of Hurin to follow. A little background: I am a digital press operator by trade and bookbinder by hobby (extreme hobby!!). My binding interested lay in gothing binding (wooden boards and clasps) and fine design bindings. With that, I find most books produced today to be poorly made at best. I find that even Easton Press versions are offensive to me in its poor construction. My inspiration to start bookbinding and this project was the Codex Gigas.

I propose to produce a single volume copy of Lord of the Rings, maybe to include the Hobbit. Giving the scope of the project, consideration is given to creating a second volume that contains “first and second age” material.This project is heavily influence by my desire to a book similar nature to the Codex Gigas. I do not necessarily want to create a Red Book of Westmarch, but maybe an interpretation of the book as it excised for lore-masters in Gondor. So with that in mind the approach should reflect the way we have gather individual books as chapters in the Christian Bible.

Books size: 1:1.618 (φ) = 17inch x 10.50inch
Paper: alpha cellulose/cotton/hemp. Strong, durable and slower to breakdown with contact with oxygon {its why paper yellows}. I also think about having a 21in x 34in vellum foldout map, included in the book or as a seperate book. I think it should be able to fold out (from the rear) and viewable from any page.
Cover ideas:
  • Black stone (slate) with carved title, guilt in gold.
  • Alum tawed white calf with gold furnature.

Ideas:
For the sake fo making a collection, there may be differant versions of the book (halfling books are books with an 11" spine): 1 large book (black/gold), 3 large books (white/silver), 7 halfling books (red/brown), 9 halfling books (black/copper). Just some ideas...

My biggest issues at the moment is font face selection and text inclusion. As opposed to the project done by Hári Isván, I am not going to handwrite the whole thing and like Benjamin Harff'sproject, I do not want to recreate 'The Book of Kells'. I am thinking of using a modern, readable font that comes with an italice face and complimenting it with handwritten elements. I do want to add illuminated drop caps and decorated chapter tiles... ( check out the wonderful work of Benoit Furet)

Aside from the artwork already stated, I don't think I will include any illustrations. I did think about adding the work of Jay Johnstone... maybe in a seperate volume...

Thoughts?...

Codex Gigas
wintermute
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Book Project - Personal copy of LotR

Postby pat457 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:20 am

Hi, welcome to TOR! To me this really sounds like an interesting idea. Please let us know if you ever get on to it.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby ElvenArcher » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:52 pm

That's a beautiful cover. Can you do this legally, or would the Tolkien Estate have issues with it?
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby wintermute » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I have been attempting to get reprint rights from Harcourt Mifflin (rights owners for the US territories) for a couple years now. I might follow the path of Mr Harff. Just make one proof-of-concept then see if they will allow me to publish a few more copies/sets. I'm not sure the Tolkien Estate can grant me rights since I beleave all US/North America 'textual/print' rights are granted to HM...
wintermute
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting