Beginner figure collecting tips, please

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Beginner figure collecting tips, please

Postby casualfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello,

I would call myself a casual fan--I read the books of course and have seen all of the movies, but I am not a collector and I do not re-read the books monthly. However, my girlfriend is a huge fan, and has recently talked about wanting to have a few figurines. I thought I would surprise her with something to get started, but I am at a loss. I do not think she wants a huge collection, at least at this time, so I don't want to flood her with stuff that she doesn't want. It seems like most of the things that pop up searching online are figures aimed at children from Kenner and ToyBiz, which look pretty cheesy (especially the latter), but I assume there are higher-quality items available either new or used. Where should I look? If the best route is just eBay, what should I try to find there?

Thanks in advance
casualfan
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting