Anke Eissmann

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:13 am

Celegorm and Curufin or Aredhel and Eöl are good ideas, too. I would prefer them to Fingolfin vs Morgoth because that scene has been done so often already (although I agree that the difference of style would make it interesting).

For Celegorm/Curufin it might be better if each of us did the scene, instead of splitting up the characters, because I think they should look more alike than eg. Fëanor and Fingolfin. Do you have a particular scene in mind there, Jenny?
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby JennyDolfen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:44 am

Celegorm and Curufin... hm, I wasn't thinking of a scene, more of a "posing" pic, but you don't do those very often, do you? ;) A scene would be better because it would be more comparable.

What do we have in the way of C/C scenes? You know the Tale of Beren and Lúthien better than I do, there are a few good ones there. I'd really love a scene with those two misbehaving in Nargothrond. ;)
JennyDolfen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:54 am

Yeah, I was thinking about some of those scenes as well. I'm going to reread what's said in the Silm, and also in the Lay of Leithian as I seem to remember a more detailed version of the scene. Do you have the Lay? If not, I can post the passages here.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby JennyDolfen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:57 am

No, got the Lays of Beleriand here. :)

Sorry, I'd love to do some rereading too, but baby Timo just doesn't let me ;) I once tried reading Harry Potter to him, hoping he'd be content hearing my voice, but I think I scared him when I did the Headless Hunt. :D
JennyDolfen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:47 am

Even without a baby I find it difficult to find time to read lately. There is so much going on here with that little leisure remains. The Silm I was only able to reread (partly) because I journeyed to Berlin by train not long ago, and thus had a few hours to spend with a book. But on the return journey I didn't read much either, because by then I had begun sketching ... ;)

I just had a brief look in the Silm. There's the scene when the brothers speak up against Finrod in Nargothrond which could make a great pic. Also there is the one when they meet Lúthien in the wild, and she reveals herself to them. But I haven't checked the Lay yet.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby GoldSeven » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:18 am

Yes, I was referring to the one you mentioned first. I think you've already done the second, right? Or is that Catherine Chmiel's picture I've got in mind now? In any case, I'd prefer the former, as I can approach it more unprejudiced.

(In case you wonder what this strange person is doing here, it's me, Jenny. I just realised today how odd my actual name looks on a forum, lol.)
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:31 am

I recognised the name from your website (which by the way looks very good in its new outfit -- I spent some time there yesterday looking at your new stuff -- and baby Timo is sooo cute :) ).

I only did the scene when the brothers attack Beren and Lúthien. The other one must be by Catherine, then, because I also remember seeing a version of it. Ok, let it be the other one. Should we narrow it down to a precise moment (e.g. define who of the brothers speaks, because first it's Celegorm quoting the oath, then Curufin "more softly but with no less power"), or should we leave this more open?

Or one of us draws/paints when Celegorm speaks, and the other when it's Curufin's turn ...
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:04 am

And now for something completely different ... New letter's up (17.06.11) :)
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby GoldSeven » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:38 am

Or one of us draws/paints when Celegorm speaks, and the other when it's Curufin's turn ...

I like that! Can I have Celegorm please? I'm all for the theatrical. :D
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:47 am

Excellent, because I prefer the quieter Curufin :)
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby GoldSeven » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:16 am

Hee hee, very fitting! ;)

I nornally work really quicky, but I'm under such a mountain of commission work that it may take me a while. What about you?
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Khorazir wrote:And now for something completely different ... New letter's up (17.06.11) :)

Yay! A new letter.

I feel bad that Elboron is moving from babyhood to little boyhood; and Faramir has been able to see it happen because of been held captive by THAT DIRTY COWARDLY SCUMBUCKET AJ. The bit about Elboron building a tower with his blocks and then little Vorondil knocking it down was funny.

Hey, if Azzy is well enough to play games with Turin; isn't he well enough to fulfill his promise to come back for Faramir? He should be out there trying to find Faramir.

Aragorn isn't bothering to go personally lead the expedition to retrieve Faramir? Or Imrahil?

I'm glad that Pharzi has a larger space to romp in...

Hurry up and write Faramir's reply, pleeeeeease.

RAKSHA THE DEMON, also looking forward to more Art! :lol:
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_of_Rohan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Hey, if Azzy is well enough to play games with Turin; isn't he well enough to fulfill his promise to come back for Faramir? He should be out there trying to find Faramir.

You forget that Teherin's his healer. Her word overrides even Elessar... sometimes.

Aragorn isn't bothering to go personally lead the expedition to retrieve Faramir? Or Imrahil?

All I know is what they tell me. Maybe that's top-secret, confidential information that he doesn't want to run the risk of getting intercepted. Men are picky about stuff like that. :roll:

I'm glad that Pharzi has a larger space to romp in...

I think someone put catnip on the log, because she goes crazy when she plays on it. ;)
Lady_of_Rohan
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:40 am

GoldSeven wrote:I nornally work really quicky, but I'm under such a mountain of commission work that it may take me a while. What about you?

Same here. I have plenty of unfinished work lying around that needs seeing to. I may be able to get some sketches done during next week or so (need to get familiar with the lads first ;) ), but I don't think I'll have time to begin with the actual painting. I reckon this is going to develop into a long-term project ;)

Concerning the letters, I think Aragorn is going to show up personally near Tolfalas to rescue his Steward and catch AJ, and Imrahil will be there as well. :)

And now it's back to the "Flammifer" ... I've already spent the entire afternoon with the magazine, and now I hope my fellow editors have sent the rest of the texts. The original plan was that a complete version should go out this evening for them to read and check for mistakes so that by Monday the thing can go off to the printer. Can't see how that's supposed to work ... :roll:
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:43 pm

Aragorn rescuing Faramir - yay! And Imrahil too! Though I can't wait to read about it, I hope, if you have the time, that you won't rush it too much. I hope to see a good, juicy, dramatic account of the rest of the adventure and the big reunion, even if it means I have to wait a week or two longer...Faramir doesn't have to write everything if he's busy or ill or recaptured (briefly!), Imrahil can write too...

And if Faramir needs a nurse, or someone to hold his hand aboard ship, or a secretary, I'm always available.

What are you drawing for the Flammifer?

The project you're undertaking with Jenny sounds fascinating; I would love to see how your two styles work together.

RAKSHA THE DEMON 8)
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby GoldSeven » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:55 am

Been thinking about this... is there any way we can make this more of a collab and not "Two artists accidentally drew nearly the same scene"? ;)

Maybe put the two pics together in a sort of "mini comic strip" afterwards? Use the same colour scheme? Or any other idea?
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:09 am

I like the idea of putting the pics together. In any case they should have the same format, and perhaps we should exchange sketches of the composition, so that we don't end up with nearly the same for each scene, only with a different speaker.

We could also agree e.g. on the colours the brothers and the people in the audience are wearing so that they are more easily recognisable.

+++

As for the big finale of our story, we've decided the rp the reunion. Faramir is going to write one more letter (perhaps today, or tomorrow), and Éowyn too, although hers is going to be returned because Aiglos won't be able to find Faramir. In the rp the story of how Faramir was saved will be told.

I'm not doing any drawings for the Flammifer at the moment (although some of my artwork has been published there as well in the past), I'm responsible for the layout and getting the magazine ready for printing.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby GoldSeven » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:09 am

I like the idea of putting the pics together. In any case they should have the same format, and perhaps we should exchange sketches of the composition, so that we don't end up with nearly the same for each scene, only with a different speaker.

We could also agree e.g. on the colours the brothers and the people in the audience are wearing so that they are more easily recognisable.

Hm, as for colours: I was thinking of a lot of browns and ocres for this (since that's how I see Celegorm, mostly). But we do have a problem there - I think we envision the brothers very differently. E. g., my Celegorm has fair hair and Curufin has short hair, and from what I've seen of your version, they have both long dark hair. ;)

But we shouldn't change that. Better to look for another unifying element, as you said. The colours they're dressed in would be fine. I think dark blue would work well for Curufin.

People in the background would also work nicely. I think dressing Celegorm and Curufin in browns and ocres and having the background more blueish would look great.

I like hinted-at backgrounds (as you probably know), but I think we should use the same design for Nargothrond walls and ceilings. :)

And having the finished piece as a two-panel-comic would probably be a good idea. We wouldn't even have to use the same format; we can just scale them both to the same height or width. Maybe we could both aim for more or less square? Then neither pic would be that much smaller than the other.

Oh, just thought of something else. As yours is going to be the second, with Curufin speaking, it would make sense if you did more of a closeup and I more of a total shot, in terms of comic storytelling ;)
Last edited by GoldSeven on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:43 am

Khorazir wrote:As for the big finale of our story, we've decided the rp the reunion. Faramir is going to write one more letter (perhaps today, or tomorrow), and Éowyn too, although hers is going to be returned because Aiglos won't be able to find Faramir. In the rp the story of how Faramir was saved will be told.

I'm not doing any drawings for the Flammifer at the moment (although some of my artwork has been published there as well in the past), I'm responsible for the layout and getting the magazine ready for printing.

Umm, does that mean rp with the other folks at the Prancing Pony? Won't that take, like months or years to finish?

I suppose it serves me right for pushing you and LoR for more Letters; but it's just because I've so enjoyed the story. I'd really been looking forward to the finale; and now I fear I'll have to wait a long time for it. Please at least let me know when/where you'll be RP-ing the ending.

RAKSHA THE DEMON
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Khorazir » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:10 am

RakshaTheDemon wrote: Umm, does that mean rp with the other folks at the Prancing Pony? Won't that take, like months or years to finish?

No, it's going to be just the two of us, because I think neither is in favour of spending a year or more on it before Faramir and Éowyn can embrace ;) I've also been looking forward to it ever since we started with the letters.

I suppose it serves me right for pushing you and LoR for more Letters; but it's just because I've so enjoyed the story. I'd really been looking forward to the finale; and now I fear I'll have to wait a long time for it. Please at least let me know when/where you'll be RP-ing the ending.

We thought about starting by the end of next week. It won't be here on this mb, and I'm not sure if the other one is going to be public by that time. But I'll publish the posts as pdfs or in some other form on my site at regular intervals.

+++

Colouring: I had also seen Celegorm in more natural hues (because he's a hunter), so browns and ocres would work nicely. For Curufin I had rather envisioned a dark red or crimson (to make him look more aggressive), but this could easily be changed into blue or some kind of purple. Or, to go with Celegorm's browns and ocres, into a reddish brown/orange. To have the brothers dressed in similar colours would let them stand out more from the audience, too, who should be clad differently.

For the background-colours we should also consider the illumination of the hall -- are they using candles and torches, which would tinge the background in warm, yellowish or even orange hues, or are they using some other lighting (like the bright lamps that are mentioned elsewhere)? In the case of the latter the colours could indeed be colder and blueish, more like to daylight, perhaps.

Close-up is fine :). It would work not only storyboard/comic-wise, but also in regard of what's said in the book. Celegorm with his bold gestures (and he's gonna need some space to wield that sword ;) ) should get a wide shot, and Curufin with his more subtle speech a more intimate one.

Square format is ok, too.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby GoldSeven » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:24 am

Very fine suggestions - let's go for brown/ocre for Celegorm and red for Curufin, with a bluish background!

I think that's a nice unifying touch. I'm even considering digital colouring now, would be fun with your watercolours (assuming you'll use those?)
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:31 am

Yep, it's good old watercolour for me :). What technique are you going to use for the actual drawing/painting, before adding the colour?
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby GoldSeven » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:35 am

Not sure yet. This is my usual approach: http://www.goldseven.de/inhalt/walk/content.html

But for this, I'm either considering a more digital look in combination with watercolour (like on the Losgar picture) or maybe purely digital. Most of the time, the technique picks itself when the sketch is done. ;)
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:20 pm

Khorazir wrote:
RakshaTheDemon wrote: Umm, does that mean rp with the other folks at the Prancing Pony? Won't that take, like months or years to finish?

No, it's going to be just the two of us, because I think neither is in favour of spending a year or more on it before Faramir and Éowyn can embrace ;) I've also been looking forward to it ever since we started with the letters.

We thought about starting by the end of next week. It won't be here on this mb, and I'm not sure if the other one is going to be public by that time. But I'll publish the posts as pdfs or in some other form on my site at regular intervals.

+++

Phew! I feared I'd have to wait until 2007 or thereabouts! Just don't forget about the story, and please do post the episodes at least 4 x a months if you can manage...I think you and LoR do excellent RP-stuff, so it should be neat to read. I'm imagining that Aiglos won't be able to deliver Eowyn's forthcoming letter because by then AJ will have poor Faramir tied up in a cabin onboard his ship. I hope, if it's those hunters who finally recapture Faramir, they aren't too rough with him - I would think they'd be very annoyed with his having led them such a chase. They better not hurt that nice old shepherd, or any more of his dogs either!

Following the artistic evolution of your/Jenny's Elves collab is quite fascinating, btw....

RAKSHA THE DEMON :twisted:
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Khorazir » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:32 pm

I hadn't seen the walk-through before -- it's very interesting to see how you work, Jenny. :)

And a new letter is up (19.06.11). Don't worry, Raksha, I'll post the new additions frequently. Or with a little luck the other mb will be open to the public by then -- or we can arrange for you to gain access.

And now it's bed for me!
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:37 pm

I read the new letter. Don't swim out to that ship, Faramir - it's a trap! At least it sounds like it. Would be just like that sneaky scummy AJ to have a small unmarked ship hunting about the coast. Aragorn should have had his merchant ships sport a certain sign or color and have Eowyn tell Faramir what it was, so Faramir would know to which ship to swim...

Faramir sounds like he was horrified by his own reflection. The poor man's just worn out and haggard and probably thinner.

RAKSHA THE DEMON :roll:
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby GoldSeven » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:51 pm

RakshaTheDemon wrote:Following the artistic evolution of your/Jenny's Elves collab is quite fascinating, btw....

Oh, good - I was worried we were boring people ;)

Maybe I can get the sketch done sometime this week. I feel really Celegormy. :D Shall we wait with sharing the sketches until we're both done?
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Khorazir » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:22 am

RakshaTheDemon wrote:I read the new letter. Don't swim out to that ship, Faramir - it's a trap! At least it sounds like it. Would be just like that sneaky scummy AJ to have a small unmarked ship hunting about the coast. Aragorn should have had his merchant ships sport a certain sign or color and have Eowyn tell Faramir what it was, so Faramir would know to which ship to swim...

Oh, Faramir was right about the ship. Only he didn't get that far. :twisted:

Faramir sounds like he was horrified by his own reflection. The poor man's just worn out and haggard and probably thinner.

Quite so. And the fact he saw himself in a little pool of water and not a proper mirror must have made things worse.

+++

GoldSeven wrote:Maybe I can get the sketch done sometime this week. I feel really Celegormy. Big Grin Shall we wait with sharing the sketches until we're both done?

That may be better, because that way we can work without being influenced by what the other is doing. I should also get some sketches done over the week.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:07 am

Ack! :shock: How long will you make me wait! Poor Faramir - did the dog-maimers grab him before he started swimming; or did AJ's ship intercept him?

Faramir's account of his time with Emru was wonderful - now he knows how to comb wool! Awww. Good for him; trying to repay Emru's generosity!

Hurry up, Aragorn and Imrahil! Who knows what Awful AJ :evil: may do to Faramir, especially since AJ will probably be really annoyed with our hero...AJ may not dare kill Faramir yet, but there's lots of ways to cause him discomfort or worse... :cry2:

RAKSHA THE DEMON 8)
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Khorazir » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:37 am

Well, they didn't catch him without a struggle, and yes, Faramir is in discomfort now. I hope I'll manage to write down what happened to him during the week, so that I can use it in the rp once it starts.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting