The Silmarillion Series by Jenny Dolfen

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Postby Galin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:13 am

Yes, I think the Silmarillion definition of Eldar is probably more popular on the web. I'm not sure Tolkien necessarily always remembered the exact wording he had already published, but I'm thinking of the following -- the first quote you noted already, with the longer citation even appearing to characterize the languages of these Silvan Elves as 'not Eldarin' too:

'The Elves far back in the Elder Days became divided into two main branches: the West-elves (the Eldar) and the East-elves. Of the latter kind were most of the elven-folk of Mirkwood and Lorien; but their languages do not appear in this history, of which all of the Elvish names and words are of Eldarin form.* (footnote) *In Lorien at this period Sindarin was spoken, though with an 'accent', since most of its folk were of Silvan origin (...) But Lorien, Caras Galadhon, Amroth, Nimrodel are probably of Silvan origin, adapted to Sindarin.'

And the second quote is from Appendix F, where Eldar is said to refer to the three kindreds who sought for the Undying Realm '... and came there are the beginning of days, save the Sindar only' Meaning (as I take it) the Eldar are those Elves who passed Oversea, plus the Sindar -- basically the West-elves -- with the Sindar making it to Beleriand, a very 'Western land' of course, in ancient days.

I note Christopher Tolkien's entry for Eldar as later published in The Children of Hurin: Eldar The Elves of the Great Journey out of the East to Beleriand. I think (if I recall correctly) Christopher Tolkien wrote something else in Children of Hurin that seems to agree with The Silmarillion (concerning the term Eldar), but in my opinion this much agrees with The Lord of the Rings well enough, if we read it as 'at least to Beleriand'...

... as I doubt the intended meaning here does not include those Elves who passed Oversea!

I think Amroth's words are interesting here too, although Tolkien himself did not publish this however. Amroth tells Nimrodel that it is said: '... the grace the Valar gave to us to pass over the Sea is granted also now to any of those who made the Great Journey, even if they did not come in ages past to the Shores and have not yet beheld the Blessed Land.'

Or considering The Lord of the Rings, I think this could be read as: even if they are not Eldar or West Elves -- this being spoken to Nimrodel, a Silvan Elf. This was a late text in any case: Amroth And Nimrodel, dated around 1969 or later...

Wherein Amroth, a Sindarin Elf... is seemingly golden haired!

:)
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Bellandora » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:23 am

I agree with a lot of the comments relating to the art work by Jenny Dolfen and Goldseven. These are just gorgeous. I had to comment on this thread as I have seen their works on the Silmarillion-Club and Deviantart
Bellandora
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GoldSeven » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:02 am

You'll forgive me if I pass over the hair length debate entirely... I'm rather weary of it. ;)

Some more Tolkien work from last summer to today: Going for more detail, more ornamental, sometimes softer.

Fingolfin's Challenge

"And Morgoth came."

"He's not here." Maglor and Celegorm come to the site where Maedhros was ambushed and realise there are worse things in this war than being slain.

GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GoldSeven » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:07 am

"Utúlie'n Aurë" - Maedhros and Maglor and their host at the beginning of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, done as a header for my blog.

Incidentally, I've got a lot of tutorials, walkthroughs and ramblings on my blog, if you'd like to take a peek. :)

http://goldseven.blogspot.com/

I'm working on this one at the moment: "Noldolantë".

Cheers!
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 am

Nice to see you back with new Tolkien illustrations! 8)
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Galin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:22 pm

GoldSeven wrote:You'll forgive me if I pass over the hair length debate entirely... I'm rather weary of it. ;)

Understandable -- but how about a longer-haired Maedhros just to spice things up? :wink:

Anyway, great work!
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby GoldSeven » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:30 pm

I was just about to formulate an acidic reply to that... when I realised that the pic I was going to post contains just that - a long-haired Maedhros. ;)

So, enjoy him while you can (until I plaster the place again with short-haired incarnations of my favourite Noldo). :D

Detail shots on my blog: http://goldseven.blogspot.com/2012/01/n ... shots.html
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Galin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:31 am

GoldSeven wrote:I was just about to formulate an acidic reply to that... when I realised that the pic I was going to post contains just that - a long-haired Maedhros. ;)

Well that was easy then. Thanks! Very nice! Perhaps I should ask Mr. Howe for a dark-haired Legolas and a 'wingless' Balrog too!

And plaster away! but you switched length for some reason, and I think you are now on the path to more long-haired depictions of the mighty Maedros in the future. Hmm, unless you're trying to imply that Elves might cut their hair -- and that, say a thousand years later, it can grow long again afterwards? That's too confusing! and cutting Elven hair ain't attested neether, that I recall (except for Galadriel), not even for the stringing of Elven bows necessarily.

John Howe tells a story that he sent a fan an original sketch, as requested, and the fan ultimately replied with (something like) 'thanks, but I really wanted...' and went on to describe some battle scene. So can you do the red-brown a little browner too? But not too brown!

:wink:
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 am

Galin, if you take a look at the Tolkien gallery on Jenny's website, you'll see that there's a story behind Maedhros's changing hairstyle. (Fanfic of sorts, of course, but quite credible.) :)
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby GoldSeven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Gaaaaaah. This is all your fault.

I hate myself for caving in like this, but... I like him like this. And for some strange reason I can't fathom, he's still Maedhros.

GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Galin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks Rowanberry... yes, looking at the various pictures this cutting of hair looks like the work of Morgoth or his forces! How dare they cut any russa from Russandol!

GoldSeven wrote:Gaaaaaah. This is all your fault. I hate myself for caving in like this, but... I like him like this. And for some strange reason I can't fathom, he's still Maedhros.

LOL! I accept responsibility for my part in this :)

This is very nice GoldSeven. Did you just do that since my last annoying post? If so you're good and fast!
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby GoldSeven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes, go to bed every night henceforth, feeling the blame! :D

I did that one in the course of an hour. ;) Half an hour's drawing and half an hour's tweaking colours in Photoshop so it was discernible again.

And it's official as of today, I guess. I'd been planning to do a similar piece, with Maedhros standing in front of the hill of Himring, and while I was sketching... he got long hair. After Thangorodrim. So there. ;)
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 am

I just popped in to see how that Tom Bombadil and Goldberry series was coming along only to find that Jenny is still working on the passing fancy that is The Silmarillion. Certainly she knows that fad is almost over, right? Most things of this nature pass after 35 years or so. :wink:

Seriously, your work is beautiful as always, Jenny. I particularly like the Noldolantë piece. It makes me think of this passage from Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings:

The next day at the hour of sunset Aragorn walked alone in the woods, and his heart was high within him; and he sang, for he was full of hope and the world was fair. And suddently even as he sang he saw a maiden walking on a greensward among the white stems of the birches; and he halted amazed, thinking that he had strayed into a dream, or else that he had received the gift of the Elf-minstrels, who can make the things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that listen.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Galin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 am

This recent depiction of Maedhros reminds me a bit of Richard Gere.

Anyone else think so?
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Not at all. As my wife likes to point out, Richard Gere has beady eyes, while Maedhras definitely does not. Their eyebrows are very different as well.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Galin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:27 am

Well the ears are different too :wink:

But not at all, not 'a bit' as I say? the parts below the unbeady eyes maybe?

Perhaps it's just me.
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Re: The Silmarillion Series by Jenny Dolfen

Postby Elmtree » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:21 am

There's a thread on books that reminded me of this thread-- someone was saying how the Silm dragged for them. It did for me, too-- until I was drawn into the story via some of the artwork I saw on this forum, especially in this thread and a few others. I think I'm going to bump a few threads to plug the Silm! :)
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Ancalagon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 am

I'm seeing this pictures and they are all great, full of imagination, painting skills and all...Obs: Their faces are awesomely done!!!!
But there is one thing that I can't understand. Why are all this NOLDOR or Eldar in general being drown so skinny ???

“…and they were tall and dark-haired and strong like fir-trees, and from them most of the Noldor later were sprung.

'The Quendi were in origin a tall people. The Eldar (...) they were in general the stronger and taller members of the Elvish folk at that time.

"The Loremasters also supposed that reference was made to the hair of the Sindar. Elwe himself had long and beautiful hair of silver hue, but this does not seem to have been a common feature of the Sindar, though it was found among them occasionally especially in the nearer or remoter kin of Elwe (as in the case of Cirdan). In general the Sindar appear to have very closely resembled the Exiles, being dark-haired, strong and tall, but lithe." The History of Middle-earth, vol. XI, The War of the Jewels: "Quendi and Eldar,"

"The Númenóreans ... are in constant communication with their ancient friends and allies, either in the bliss of Eressea, or in the kingdom of Gilgalad on the shores of Middle-earth. They became thus in appearance and even in powers of mind, hardly distinguishable from the Elves..." - Numenoreans are pretty large guys and if the Eldar are similar to them then they can't be skinny at all.

But in the dim dusk of a winter's day there appeared suddenly among them a man, as it seemed, of great bulk and girth, cloaked and hooded in white; and he walked up to the fire without a word. - This is Beleg and he's a Sindar, the Noldor are bigger mainly their princes and let's not forget that the mans who saw beleg were from the house of Hador mainly(all tall and broad).

Maedhros or Maitimo(mother's name): "well-shaped one" - he was of beautiful bodily form. - In my opinion he can't be freaking skinny to have a perfect and balanced body.

Celegorm or Turkafinwe(father's name): "strong, powerful (in body)"

"This implies that Glorfindel was natively an Elda great bodily and spiritual stature..." THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH. "...and at his hand was strength..." LOTR

"...of Feanor, great in mind and body beyond the measure of the Eldar."

Curufin or Atarinke: "little-father" - referring to the physical likeness to Feanor.

Fingolfin was said to be even stronger than Feanor in some passage.
Ancalagon
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Hurin's #1 Son » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

These are awesome. Some of my favorite Silmarillion art I've seen!
Hurin's #1 Son
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Denethor » Thu May 26, 2016 11:58 pm

Ancalagon wrote:I'm seeing this pictures and they are all great, full of imagination, painting skills and all...Obs: Their faces are awesomely done!!!!
But there is one thing that I can't understand. Why are all this NOLDOR or Eldar in general being drown so skinny ???
In general the Sindar appear to have very closely resembled the Exiles, being dark-haired, strong and tall, but lithe." The History of Middle-earth, vol. XI, The War of the Jewels: "Quendi and Eldar,"

Strength doesn't imply being ridiculously muscle-bound, especially when you have the likes of Legolas running over snow - you're not dealing with a human physique. "Lithe" carries with it the implication of slender elegance.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting