The Home Of Weta Collectors Eighth Edition

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Postby ArwenEvenstaroftheWest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:44 am

Just got my Smeagol bust today from Sideshow (won it in the chat). Love it! The detail is great and it's a really low number: 30/6000.
Just found out from Jennifer that shipping for the Morgul Lord is going to cost me $130!!! :( Almost as much as the statue itself
ArwenEvenstaroftheWest
Citizen of Imladris

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:41 am

Holy heck, Arwen! What country are you in?

I'm just stressing over the doubled shipping charges I usually have to put up with for living in Canada. Plus to make room for the Morgul Lord, they have to get rid of stuff in their warehouse, and so my Boromir cannot be shipped along with Wiki and I will hafta pay that much more for shipping. But what can ya do. Its really not that bad, its just that with all the time I'm spending on eBay and such, its so frustrating how much shipping costs.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

re

Postby Oxbeard » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:31 am

That's definitely hard to swallow on the shipping. I couln't imagine having to pay that much. I wuold have to start being much more selective with my purchases.
Oxbeard
Shield Bearer

Postby ArwenEvenstaroftheWest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:15 pm

I live in Australia but this is only the second piece I have gotten from Sideshow. First was the Berserker statue and shipping was $75 which asn't so bad. I dont even want to imagine shipping costs for Sauron... :shock:
ArwenEvenstaroftheWest
Citizen of Imladris

Postby jlcmsu » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:17 pm

Congrats on the Smeagol. Mine will be in next Tuesday. Thats a heck of a price on the shipping and you can imagine that the shippin on Sauron to you will be like $250 I bet.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby ArwenEvenstaroftheWest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:06 pm

Just got a pre ship notice for the High Elven infantryman bust. has anyone got this and can recommend it? Because I'm not sure if it's worth holding on to...I have so many statues and busts coming soon but it would be nice to have aLast Alliance collection...dilemma dilemma *sigh* :(
ArwenEvenstaroftheWest
Citizen of Imladris

Postby jlcmsu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:11 pm

Got my Smeagol Bust today. :) I'm really like it and I'm very impressed with it. The paint job on this is very good I was suprised how small it was but its pretty cool.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:47 pm

jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:44 am

I recieved my Boromir this week 1253/2000 very very cool. The statue is much better in person and the BE didnt let me down on this one thats for sure.

I also got a Helms Deep this week 35/4000. Mine is a bit grey but its a very detailed piece I am truly pleased with this item.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:03 pm

Something fifteen pounds in weight is shipping to me from WETA. Would that be the Morgul Lord, pray tell?
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:06 pm

That sounds like him. Man this is killing me nothing to me yet at all. I was authorized late even though I bought it the first day and I also ordered two so that might make a difference.

Rad you are a lucky person
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:24 pm

My e-mail from Fed-Ex didn't mentioned the Witch-king, Rads, but I wrote down on the calendar beside me that I was scheduled to be charged for it by Thursday at the latest, so clearly this is it now.

What a crazy month, though. I'm excited that I have a new dresser in my room that I can fit what appears to be a number of Sideshow statues (I only own two right now, plus a couple of busts, but with all the preorders it'll be insanely crowded soon enough), and that I've now done business with Sideshow directly and can see how fast they ship their items, but wow did I make a goof a few weeks ago. I saw the Golden Hall on eBay for just $70, so I just couldn't pass that up, and then I saw Helm's Deep for about $90, and I figured I should go for it because I could save a bunch on the combined shipping prices. A $90 bargain is still $90 out of your pocket, though. And these guys have, in my opinion, steep shipping charges. In total, I had to pay $70 to get them here, and I'm sure there'll be more charges when I pick them up.

Which brings me to a question about Sideshow shipping charges. I'm in Canada, so its very helpful that they recently put up that list about Canadian shipping prices. Now, I know they say its an estimate and does not include GST taxes, but I still was charged substantially more than I thought I would be for shipping Boromir. That statue is 6 pounds, so according to the list, it should have cost me $21.98, but even with GST at 15%, that only comes to $25.28. When my statue was shipped, I was charged $35, and then when the Fed-Ex guy delivered it, I had to pay a further $42. That is *ahem* muchos more than I ever thought it would be. Maybe its just a Fed-Ex thing, but I've never paid that much for shipping and receiving a single item and I've bought everything from clothing to swords to multiple items at once. Maybe you Sideshow pros could explain to me where those charges came from. Maybe if I wasn't in so much debt it wouldn't bother me as much. :P

Cheers.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:46 pm

E when did you place your order for the ML? I am kind of curious and a bit miffed that I placed my order the first day and nothing but a late authorization this past Sat. Maybe it will come late tonight after i go to bed.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:46 pm

E when did you place your order for the ML? I am kind of curious and a bit miffed that I placed my order the first day and nothing but a late authorization this past Sat. Maybe it will come late tonight after i go to bed.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:50 pm

I just checked my order history, jlc, and I put my word in for the Wiki on January 22nd.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:07 pm

Did you order just 1? My thoughts are that the are processing the 1 orders first and then everyone with 2 next.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:09 pm

Oh yep. I haven't quite gotten the balls yet to order two of something and then figure out how to sell one of them. :P Just a solo Wiki being sent to me now. Perhaps that is what they are doing, then.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:15 pm

Thats my guess unless my shipping notice is coming during the night or early tomorrow. I might even give SS a buzz to see for grins.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:11 pm

Yuck, I just got an e-mail that said my Wiki cost $52.14 to ship. :|

I am so going to have my legs broken. :shock: I can't afford this! Ugh, I need a job asap.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:39 am

Still no email for me.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby sidewinder572 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:00 pm

I got the e-mail estimated delivery

3 days
sidewinder572
Shield Bearer

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:09 pm

My shipping is 29.80 for two Morgul Lords, apparently. My sister said she wanted one, but now she's not sure she wants it, don'y you love that (I ordered for her cause I had a coupon code left). I wonder if I sent one back if I'd have to pay return shipping. It might just be better to sell it on EBAY. But these things haven't been commanding big bucks, have they. With 9500 made, there may not be that much demand left.
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:04 am

It cost me over fifty dollars just to ship one, and you can have two sent for less then thirty? Sideshow also hasn't been sending me any newsletters for months. They must really hate me.

I think after my pre-orders from this past year arrive, I'll look to order SW items from other sellers. I'm really not happy with these shipping prices and I do not know where they are coming from (unless someone can read my other post and explain it to me). :P The only downside I can see is that I won't be getting things at the same time or before other collectors, which is way down on my list of priorities anyway. And the shipping won't be quite as fast (I kinda forget how long it took Boromir to get here, though), but again, that's not a huge worry to me. I'm a pretty patient person.

My High Elven Infantryman will be shipping within a week. Woohoo. :roll: Its all coming in at once and I do not have the funds available. I can't help but eye everything in this house, trying to put a dollar value on it. Man, do I need some extra cash. The race is on to find a cheap HEI within a couple days, though. Figures that while I was typing this post, I missed the one on eBay I was going to bid on. I'm not having much luck lately, it seems. :P

Off to check the couch cushions for extra change.....

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:48 pm

Wiki came in this morning. I assume everyone else is still playing with theirs. :P

For my part, I'll just say that I am extremely impressed with the statue. The box was one big mofo and I had a hell of a time taking everything out. Had a little trouble getting him to sit on the stand's peg, but eventually got him on there nice and sturdy. The Witch-king himself isn't all that heavy, and he's very easy to pick up. The cloak is so huge and thick that there's really no weak areas that I found, so you're safe grabbing him wherever you need to. Neither of his hands are attached. One holds the sword and is quite wiggly when you attach it to the rest of his gauntlet, and the hand grasping the mace sticks in there pretty good. I was surprised to see that the mace chains are actual chains and since the dimenions are so big, you can swing it around yourself pretty good. I'm sure I could do some damage to anyone too busy laughing at me to notice. ;) There is a peg on one side of the mace which is placed into a spot on his hip, and that's where it is secured. The stand itself is heavier than the statue, I think. The metallic paint used on his armour is perfect, as is the subtle design on his cloak material (which I now know what it looks like up close because I have that particular costume card from Topps).

I may be disgusted with the $107 it cost to ship the statue (I'm only in Canada, so I find this unforgiveable and will be ordering my Sideshow items elsewhere whenever possible), but I'll tell ya - finally having him in my possession and sitting out there on the table really does make it all worth it. I didn't think it would be, but it sincerely does. Not a process I want to go through again, but its so absolutely worth it to have him here now. Well, until I go to bed tonight and have to clean up all the styrofoam and cardboard boxes in my room. :D

It was basically Christmas at my house today (too bad I was so tired I didn't get up until after 2p.m.) as the Golden Hall and Helm's Deep environments also arrived, and one of those liquid mouses for computers came in, too. Mine has the Evenstar in it. I couldn't resist.

Whoever said that Helm's Deep is a bit grey wasn't joking. Mine doesn't look like it was touched with a splotch of paint whatsoever. I'm really disappointed. I wasn't expecting the grass to be bright green at all, but I thought there'd be a little more color to it. Instead, the Hornburg looks like a plastic grey playset that LEGO would sell for thirty bucks. I think I may return this, depending on how much of my money I'll get back, because besides the fact I could really use the cash right now, I'm just not sure the environment is worth keeping. Other than the fact that I hate letting go of any LOTR collectibles, I mean. A few months ago, I won the United Cutlery Elendil helmet in a raffle at the Mithril Armoury and was going to sell it to pay for a plane ticket to the Denver TORC moot, but I just couldn't bring myself to go through with it. I'm such a sucker. Same with this thing I got on eBay for just $10 that I thought was a big ol' ROTK poster signed by the entire cast and much of the crew. My goof not reading the thing's dimensions (8 x 10), but I was still not happy at all with how pixely the photo was. Haven't sent it back yet, though. I can't quite bring myself to do it. :P So yeah, not sure just yet what I will do with Helm's Deep. It was such a bargain at $91, so I can either send it right back, do the jerk thing and sell it for twice as much, or keep it and shut my mouth.

Think, think, think...

The Golden Hall fairs much better. Its just a bit more muted in its colors than I thought it would be, but I still like it. Am surprised just how heavy it is. I'll have to find a higher up place to display it so that everyone can get a good look at it from head on, which is where it looks best. I got this for just $77, so I'm definitely pleased with it overall.

A good day!

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:01 pm

Hmmm, does the coupon discount apply to the shipping, maybe that's it.

Haven't received yet, but I'm going to put on a bookcase in the room facing the head of the stairs that I use as my office. That should freak everyone out sufficiently. Sauron would have been even better, but $200 is my max for these things.

I think I may cancel the Eowyn order. I don't like her helmless.

So now I have a Boromir, an Elessar and an Elendil on order. I think that's it. Am looking forward to the Boro. Funny how these things suddenly become indispensable after they sell out.
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:46 pm

Glad to hear you like it so much E. I'm supposed to be in the shipping round next week so it gives me something to look forward to. I can't wait I've got a spot ready for him and he will be about a week and a half or so ahead of my RWOS. Your right HD is a bit grey but mines not that bad I don't think it was hard to take good pics of it as you can tell on my site. I only paid $92 for mine and got #35 so its worth it.

Rad I understand but I think you will be missing out big time by not having Sauron in your collection. Keep Eowyn as she will go great with your ML statue and its a really good sculpt even with no helm. Yes, Boromir is very very good I think well worth owning one of the best human statues SS has done so far.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:18 am

Got ML today, and have to admit, quite impressive. I have him on top of a bookcase duking it with Theoden now, and he towers above him. The piece does feel rather light (lighter than the Saruman), but that should ease pressure on the peg. That was my only trouble, he only fits well on the peg in one direction. At first it looked like he was levitating, but then I reversed him and he fit fine. I was a bit dubious about the attachable hands at first, but I got them in place. I think that's a precaution against breakage. No paint complaints, though, let's face it, this was a simpler job.

I had ordered a Baby Balrog too, look forward to getting that. They do a good job with evil critters.
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:08 pm

I'll tell ya this thing just sounds and looks totally awesome I know its gonna be worth the wait. I also have Theoden coming this week as well.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Raynor » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:10 pm

This probably has been asked before but does anybody know anthing about a Pippin statue? I have 8 of the fellowship but as of yet I've seen nowhere to order a Pippin figure.
Raynor
Petitioner to the Council

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:05 pm

Never thought of that. Pip's the only member of the Fellowship without a statue. I think that gives Sideshow an excellent opportunity to use some iconic image of Pippin from ROTK, such as when he's swearing fealty to Denethor, or lighting the beacons. Maybe even one of him leaning against the railing in Minas Tirith, watching the signal flair up from Minas Morgul. Or how about kneeling on the floor, just about to touch the Palantir?

The thought of all the statues and busts that could come out over the next few years makes my wallet and I weep. :D That is both a good and a bad thing.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting