The Home Of Weta Collectors Eighth Edition

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Postby jlcmsu » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:15 pm

Their is gonna be a Pippin statue and it will be from ROTK wearing his gondorian armour. Their will also be a new Merry statue wearing his Rohan armour as well. When those come out that will finish my fellowship since I only have 7/9.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:50 pm

A Pippin with the palantir would have been cool too.

I have the Frodo and really like how diminutive it is compared with the others.

I did order a Boro before they sold out, I hope I get it. I'll put him with the Frodo and the Lego.
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:52 am

That would have been an interesting statue.

I have Frodo and I like it a lot. Its cool how small it is and how it really captures the pain and anguish that Frodo goes through.

Boromir is awesome you will really enjoy it. I have mine next to Legolas, Gimli, and Sam and Bill.

My two ML are on the way and will be here Sat.

My Theoden though will be here today.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:23 pm

Well, after my jaw dropped and hit the floor I think I will be going to the doctor this week to get my jaw fixed. The ML is really amazing it really might just be SSW best piece ever. The detail on it is just amazing the worn cloak, the detail in the armour, the mace, the sword, and the SIZE!!!! I love everything about it and to me its a perfect 10. I'm actually having a hard time typing what I think because I'm really blown away by how amazing this Statue is. I know I will never feel bad again by not having the WK statue now that I have this one.

My # 13/9500
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:10 am

#13! That's unlucky!! ;)
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:30 am

Yup :)

Nah I was as shocked to get that # as I was by how great this statue really is.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:35 pm

Hi guys and gals. Nice to see the ML is coming in. Wow for the second time only I'm reading threads about a statue and there is no neg. comments :P ... RS was one and now ML I'm absolutely looking for to this one, but unfortunately Im still waiting in line .... typical :roll:

ArwenEvenstar:
Just got a pre ship notice for the High Elven infantryman bust. has anyone got this and can recommend it? Because I'm not sure if it's worth holding on to...I have so many statues and busts coming soon but it would be nice to have aLast Alliance collection...dilemma dilemma *sigh*

If you like Elves it's woth it. If you want the Last Alliance set it's a must. Not much help, I know, but it is a nice looking bust.

Btw, I might be able to put you onto some here is Aussie that can help you save on shipping and cost with these things.
I get my stuff through him and it makes a big difference. Let me know if your interested.

I do have GH and HD now. I love the GH. The way the light reflects off the paint on the side of the hill it like it has a metallic sheen. I love the effect. And of course the detail, for me, is stunning.
HD, I can see why everyone was floored that it went from brown to grey. When I first opened mine it looked totally grey ... and dark. It's sitting on the bookshelf now and again the natural light has made a huge difference to this. Lots of shades. The more I look at this one the more I like it, so I will be keeping it. E* I know I expected more colour as well, but then I figured it was raining and it's a post battle scene so 10,000 Orcs tramping the ground isn't going to be leaving much life around. They did something similar with Orthanc. The muddied look after the flooding. Well that's the way I got my head around it anyway :P Not really, but I'm really impressed with HD though.
Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits
Rider of the Mark

Postby jlcmsu » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:20 pm

Hello Eleventy :) Glad to see ya again.

Yes, the ML is totally awesome maybe SSW best ever. Your right I have basically have yet to hear anything negative about this statue. It just proves those that went crazy on the HD issue that SSW is on the top of its game and that was an accident.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:02 pm

Hey jlc. They certainly sound like they've done a top job with ML. I would love to see this for myself ... ah well, in good time.
At least I'll be picking up the Nazgul bust tomorrow. Little compensation, I know, but what can ya do :wink:
Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits
Rider of the Mark

Postby jlcmsu » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:06 pm

Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits wrote:Hey jlc. They certainly sound like they've done a top job with ML. I would love to see this for myself ... ah well, in good time.
At least I'll be picking up the Nazgul bust tomorrow. Little compensation, I know, but what can ya do :wink:

Yes, they really did do a top notch job on the ML. You'll love it when you get a chance to see it. I got authorized today for my RWOS order so I should be getting him soon which will be a nice treat. The Ringwraith Bust is very nice I had it for a while and sold it to help purchase other items but its a very nice piece.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:29 pm

I have the Wraith bust. I seem to have an addiction to anything Wraith :oops: :P so, I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon. I want to use both the Wraith and Nazgul bust for bookends, for the lotr books.
Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits
Rider of the Mark

Postby jlcmsu » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:29 pm

Eleventy1-Tipsy-Hobbits wrote:I have the Wraith bust. I seem to have an addiction to anything Wraith :oops: :P so, I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon. I want to use both the Wraith and Nazgul bust for bookends, for the lotr books.

Oh I will probably go back and get the Wraith bust at somepoint but figure right now I can live with just having the ML and RWOS. They are very cool to look at all the wraith stuff they just have something special about them. I don't know about using them as bookends but they are pretty cool.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:00 pm

Ack! I got the Boromir, and the stand's metal peg is so badly bent over I can't get the statue to stand straight! Anyone ever heard of that problem before?@!
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:02 pm

Radagast-the-Ruddy wrote:Ack! I got the Boromir, and the stand's metal peg is so badly bent over I can't get the statue to stand straight! Anyone ever heard of that problem before?@!

No, I cant say I have heard of that before. Is it bent out of the base? I would call SS and tell them to send you another base or you can try heating it up and bending it back.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:12 pm

They will send a new base, but I have to "destroy" the base and provide photographic evidence that I have done so. I emailed them for advise on how I am to destory the base exactly. Dealing with Sideshow just gets dumber and dumber. They charge these prizes and they have some bozo sticking obviously defective merchandise in the box? Give me a break.
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:17 pm

Just smash it with a hammer is what I would do. At least the statue got their in one piece.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby Radagast-the-Ruddy » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:20 pm

Chainsaw.
Radagast-the-Ruddy
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:24 am

Rads, it sounds like you're dealing with the Sideshow mafia or something!

That's seriously the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Do they literally mean they want YOU to destroy the base just because its mucked up a little bit and you'd like a replacement, or that they want photographic evidence of what is already messed up so that they can judge whether they need to send you a new one or not? Maybe I misread something, because what you said sounds ludicrous!

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:18 pm

No he is being serious. I have heard that before of people being told just destory it and send a pic that way you don't have to wait for an RMA. They destroy the messup ones when they get their anyway.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:45 pm

What's an RMA? :oops:

And why must they be destroyed? Its not a rabies-infected dog.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:59 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:What's an RMA? :oops:

And why must they be destroyed? Its not a rabies-infected dog.

*E*

Return Merchandise Authorization=RMA they give these to you when you send something back.

Not sure why they destroy them if they are limiteds probably so their isn't two of the same # out their.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:03 pm

Ah, that's understandable.

And thanks. Even though I've been on this site for years and am a pretty big internet geek, some of the acronyms in this forum just perplex me. :D I know I'd be in better shape if I read the threads more often (well, earlier this summer when I was away and missed a whole lotta action), but a number of them I have no idea what they mean, heh.

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:54 pm

Ah no problem. Hopefully you never have to get an RMA and all your stuff shows up intact.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:36 pm

I'd almost welcome the chance to smash something up good, so long as I got a better replacement, of course. ;) I'm thinking I probably couldn't bring myself to do it (same as how I've always wanted to break a CD, but even though we have blank ones that cost less than a dollar, I can't quite do it. I don't hold up CDs to near the pedestal that I do LOTR collectables, but still). :P

Raddy, if you need any help, man, send 'em to me. :D

*E*
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Man, I don't think I could do that I would probably just wimp out having to wack one of these wonderful pieces.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby jeanelf » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:48 am

Quick question! I haven't posted in this thread before so hope this is the place---I preordered the Gwaihir/Gandalf giclee which Sideshow's got listed as shipping August/September. Anyone have any idea how (late?) they usually are with these things actually getting sent? My credit card expires in October (and don't know if this particular one will be renewed, really :oops: ) :shock: Thanks! I've not ordered directly from them except the Boromir bust long ago.
jeanelf
Ranger of the North

Postby ddraigwen » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:52 pm

I havn't heared of anyone receiving it yet.

When Sideshow get's it in stock they will send you an email letting you know. You can change your credit card with them then I think, Or call mike or Jennifer over at Sideshow customer service. Their pretty great
ddraigwen
Ranger of the North

Postby HippyHobbit » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:52 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:Which brings me to a question about Sideshow shipping charges. I'm in Canada, so its very helpful that they recently put up that list about Canadian shipping prices. Now, I know they say its an estimate and does not include GST taxes, but I still was charged substantially more than I thought I would be for shipping Boromir. That statue is 6 pounds, so according to the list, it should have cost me $21.98, but even with GST at 15%, that only comes to $25.28. When my statue was shipped, I was charged $35, and then when the Fed-Ex guy delivered it, I had to pay a further $42. That is *ahem* muchos more than I ever thought it would be. Maybe its just a Fed-Ex thing, but I've never paid that much for shipping and receiving a single item and I've bought everything from clothing to swords to multiple items at once. Maybe you Sideshow pros could explain to me where those charges came from. Maybe if I wasn't in so much debt it wouldn't bother me as much. :P

*E*

Evenstar, I don't know if anybody has answered your question about why you're being charged alot of money.

I live in Toronto, Canada. I had pre-ordered a bunch of statues from SSW, but cancelled all of them due to the amount of cost. When SSW ships the item to you from the states, you are charged the regular shipping cost as well as GST/PST and custom/duty charges. Fedex and UPS also charges a brokerage fee. I did the math and realized that it's better off buying the statues locally or somewhere in Canada. If I do order from the states, I asked the person to ship the item through USPS. Their brokerage fee is cheaper but you would still have to pay for custom/duties. To avoid paying for custom/duties, you need the person to mark the item as a gift, but this would be cheating the system and the person could get into trouble.
I also buy UC LOTR swords from the states because the prices here in Canada are unbelieveably high and that's because the distributors in the states are charging Canadian retailers alot. LOTR swords are considered decorative weaponary which are not subject to custom/duty charges.
HippyHobbit
Petitioner to the Council

Postby jlcmsu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:27 pm

Man, what a truy awesome piece much more so than how people had described it would be. It really is a very large piece larger than what I guess I thought it would be. You would think by now the size of these would stop shocking me but it never seems to be that way. The detail on it is as good as any statue I have personally and as good as any statue SSW has made up to this point in time. The mud all over the RWOS is really cool it shows that he has been all over trying to do his masters bidding to get the ring. I love how he is reaching for Frodo trying to capture him and get the ring for Sauron. The look in the Steeds eyes are fantastic and show you the tormented soul that the Steed has become. The coolest thing though is the straps they are actual material something I was not expecting at all or had heard anyone mention. This was by far the most shocking thing to me me and a nice touch I really like. For those of you out their who don't have one get one its way beyond any words I have. This statue is LOTR, Iconic, Scary, Eery anything that you imagine the LOTR or the Ringwraiths to be this statue is that.

I was lucky enough that mine fit on its holes in one shot.

I got two of these and I actually kept the higher # of the two because a board member from LOTRGuide.com has the one right next to it. My # is 4459.
jlcmsu
Mariner

Postby jlcmsu » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Post all your weta stories here.
jlcmsu
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting