Complete comic of Tolkien's works

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Complete comic of Tolkien's works

Postby kenisu3000 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:23 pm

[UPDATE: Scroll down to my next post for some samples from my comic rendition of The Hobbit!]

I know this is going to sound absolutely insane (and unbelievable), but over the past few years I've been toiling away on a comic book adaptation of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. As far as The Hobbit goes, I'm completely finished sketching it, and the first chapter ("An Unexpected Party") and first half of chapter two ("Roast Mutton") are completely finished. As far as LotR goes, it's only sketched up to the end of "Fog on the Barrow-Downs". I can scan in a few panels here and there if you guys want to see some of it.
My question is, am I just wasting my time?
Last edited by kenisu3000 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenisu3000
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:25 am

Well, we can't say if you're wasting your time before we've seen some of those sketches. :) So, just go ahead and scan a couple of examples.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby kenisu3000 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:45 pm

Good point :) Here's just a few panels (I'm not scanning in any (completed) full pages, because I don't want this getting around before I can secure any sort of rights to it (the artwork, I mean, of course --- the story is Tolkien's). I'd love to be able to get this out to the public, but I'd need to become a much more established cartoonist, plus I'd also need the rights from the Tolkien Estate (yes, I know this is *incredibly* wishful thinking). But I'd like to finish the whole thing before I attempt that.
Here's some random (completed) panels from The Hobbit:

Chap. 1 - Bilbo starts to get irritated with Gandalf, and puffs out some Longbottom Leaf
Chap. 1 - "What a lot of things you do use 'Good Morning' for!"
Chap. 1 - Just after Bilbo freaks out[this is one of the liberties I took, and I'm scared to death this will have all the fans in an uproar... in the book, after Gandalf's comparison of Bilbo to a "dragon in a pinch", the story moves aside for an explanation of his ancestor Bullroarer Took. I've moved the whole Bullroar Took thing to the beginning of the chapter where Bilbo's ancestry is still being explained. That's not the problem. My concern is, here, in my version, when Gandalf says "a dragon in a pinch" (which sounds like no less than a setup line to me), the dwarves and Gandalf suddenly hear Bilbo throwing up in the other room. He doesn't vomit in the book, and Gandalf certainly doesn't get nervous when the dwarves get skeptical about this whole "burglar" business. Oh well, now that I've condemned myself...]
Chap. 2 - Bilbo finishes cleaning the dining-room
Chap. 2 - Bilbo dashes toward the Green Dragon to meet the dwarves
Chap. 2 - Bilbo realizes he left his handkerchief behind
Chap. 2 - Bilbo apologizes for coming unprepared
Chap. 2 - The party makes camp (just before the troll incident)
Chap. 2 - Fili & Kili chase after a runaway pony that has gotten into the river

And, just to give you an idea of what the full pages look like (none of these are completed)...

Chap. 2 - The party argues about whether or not to investigate the distant light
Chap. 2 - The trolls' first appearance
Fellowship of the Ring Chap. 8 - Frodo cuts off the Barrow-Wight's hand and calls for Tom Bombadil [this one is in total sketch phase, and since it's in really light pencil at the moment, might be difficult to see. At any rate, this is the silly smiley-face figures my characters look like when I'm sketching them :)]
kenisu3000
Citizen of Imladris

Postby eilona » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:03 pm

kennisu, they're not bad! I rather enjoyed them, but at this rate, it'll take as long to do the comic as it did to write the book.
Good luck with it tho'
eilona
Ranger of the North

Postby kenisu3000 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Actually, at this rate, it'll take even longer to draw the comic than it did to write the book :)
kenisu3000
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:56 pm

Not bad at all. You're definitely not wasting your time! :)
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Darth_Baggins » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:56 pm

Very nice, kenisu. :D
Darth_Baggins
Petitioner to the Council

Postby kenisu3000 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:07 pm

Yeah... I used to be pretty cocky about my abilities, but then when I checked out some other fanart, I realized that they blow me out of the water, what with their skill in making it look so natural. BUT! I won't let that daunt me! I suppose if silly-looking cartoons is my forte, then I have to stick to that and accept it for what it is.
kenisu3000
Citizen of Imladris

Postby NienorNiniel » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:24 am

I think they're very cute. :) Especially the one with Fili and Kili running after the pony! :D
NienorNiniel
Mariner

Postby kenisu3000 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Yeah, I do realize that these are a bit too cute for Tolkien's works... you should see my Gollum. Every time I try to make a character look evil and twisted, with big luminous eyes, it always turns out looking like some sort of demented Muppet! :)
kenisu3000
Citizen of Imladris

Postby invaderzim » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:15 pm

as soon as you get more done, scan it. i like it! :D
invaderzim
Citizen of Imladris

Postby kenisu3000 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:19 pm

I most certainly will. I wish I could show you guys the full pages for proof (I get the feeling nobody believes me that I'm doing the whole shmeal, but really, what you're seeing here is actually only about 3% of everything I've completed), but I don't think that's a smart idea if I want to be able to do something with it when I'm finally finished... that is, get the rights from the Tolkien Estate and get it published.
kenisu3000
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting