May I barrow some fan art?

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

May I barrow some fan art?

Postby elven_ranger » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:46 am

Ok, I don't know how to do this with out it sounding sort of like an advertisement. But I've got to sell you on what I (we're) doing.

My husband and I have started a guild in the game Guild Wars (ironic huh?), we're running the theme of the elven kingdoms, right now we have Rivendell Guild up and running.

I'm here to ask for a little fan art for our website as neither of us really has any artistic ability. You are welcome to check out the site, you will of course receive full credit for anything you supply us with (and we choose to use). Also a small note, all art must be G rated.

http://lotrguilds.com

**Note to the mods, if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.
elven_ranger
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:15 pm

I am not much of an artist either, so I have nothing to offer you.

But, I will recommend some artists, and you can ask them for permission ;)

Let's see, elves...

Jenny Dolfen does beautiful work. Click "Galleries" and "Tolkien" to see her elves.
Her Deviant Art Gallery

Anke Eissmann is quite prolific, and has done many scenes from the Silmarillion. Her elves are not very different from Men, but I like her work very much. It is similar in flavour to Alan Lee, but with more emphasis on the people than the landscapes.

Catherine Karina Chmiel also has some beautiful artwork, focusing on elves (Mostly Feanoreans and Gondolin) and Boromir/Faramir. (Check out both pages!)

Since you mentioned Rivendell....
My favorite picture of Arwen

Ted Nasmith's Rivendell

Alan Lee's Rivendell

A Gallery of Rivendell

Please, remember to ask these people for permission to use their artwork!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby elven_ranger » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:15 am

Of course I'll be sure to ask :) . Thank you for all of the wonderful leads and I'll let you know if any pan out :)

I really need a banner at the moment for the site. that and icons for the forums
elven_ranger
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:37 pm

More lovely pictures (from the Elfwood Galleries):
I would recommend poking around there, but it is a lot to sift through....

Arwen in Rivendell
Generic Elves - sketch
Fingolfin in blue
Galadriel with stained glass

Beren and Luthien embracing

Galadriel and the Shore of Valinor

Movie-Arwen giving her necklace to Aragorn

Weird view of the Fellowship leaving Rivendell
Arwen; same artist I think Arwen is ugly, but the composition is interesting.

An elf

Movie-ish Aragorn and Arwen

Glorfindel sketch - with an earring, though

I guess you can shrink anything to make an icon...but for a banner, you'd want something long and skinny?
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby ElvenArcher » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:27 pm

Most of the artists listed in posts so far are professionals, and I believe they charge for their artwork. No harm in asking (or asking for prices), and you can contact them through their sites.

There are other people here who might contact you and offer some images in return for just a credit. When you get whatever artwork you get, post a link here so we all can see it. :)
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting