My Fanart

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

Postby pat457 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:51 am

rowanberry wrote:I really like your interpretation of the Balrog! :thumbsup: Especially the fiery "mane" comes very close to my own mental image; I always think of a lion's mane when I read that part. And, the "wings" - you leave it appropriately vague if they are real, or just a shape of smoke and shadow.

Uh...thanks again? :)

A more simpler piece of work:

'I don’t know how long we shall take to - to finish,' said Frodo. 'We were miserably delayed in the hills. But Samwise Gamgee, my dear hobbit - indeed Sam my dearest hobbit, friend of friends - I do not think we need give thought to what comes after that. To do the job as you put it - what hope is there that we ever shall? And if we do, who knows what will come of that? If the One goes into the Fire, and we are at hand? I ask you, Sam, are we ever likely to need bread again? I think not. If we can nurse our limbs to bring us to Mount Doom, that is all we can do. More than I can, I begin to feel.'
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby andurilwest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Hey, that last bit of dialogue was in the Bakshi version in some form!

pat457 wrote:
andurilwest wrote:Cool! Especially the fake documents, very Tolkien-like since he dabbled in that himself.

Did he now? Very interesting that is, yes...

He made a page of the Red Book: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon ... 10000.html
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 pm

andurilwest wrote:Hey, that last bit of dialogue was in the Bakshi version in some form!

Yep, but the pic is inspired more by the BBC adaptation...one of Ian Holm's best lines there IMO. 8)

Very sad that it was not included in the book itself save for that Deluxe edition, isn't it?
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:44 am

Random silliness:

Pipe-weed smoking.

From left to right: Frodo, Sam, Merry (post-Entdraught), Pippin (post-Entdraught), Gandalf (the White).

"There is another thing about the Hobbits of old that must be mentioned, an astonishing habit: they imbibed or inhaled, through pipes of clay or wood, the smoke of the burning leaves of an herb, which they called pipe-weed or leaf, a variety probably of Nicotiana..."
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:21 pm

This one has a bit of a gory detail:

Then Beren led Lúthien before the throne of Thingol her father; and he looked in wonder upon Beren, whom he had thought dead; but he loved him not, because of the woes that he had brought upon Doriath. But Beren knelt before him, and said: 'I return according to my word. I am come now to claim my own.' And Thingol answered: 'What of your quest, and of your vow?' But Beren said: 'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' Then Thingol said: 'Show it to me!' And Beren put forth his left hand, slowly opening its fingers; but it was empty. Then he held up his right arm; and from that hour he named himself Camlost, the Empty-handed.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:14 am

The next drawing is based on what has got to be one of the most surprising scenes I have ever seen in literature:

The light sprang up again, and there on the brink of the chasm, at the very Crack of Doom, stood Frodo, black against the glare, tense, erect, but still as if he had been turned to stone.
'Master!' cried Sam.
Then Frodo stirred and spoke with a clear voice, indeed with a voice clearer and more powerful than Sam had ever heard him use, and it rose above the throb and turmoil of Mount doom, ringing in the roof and walls.
'I have come,' he said. 'But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!'

Interestingly enough, Frodo's face here and his face at the former pic (The one with 'are we ever likely to need bread again?' speech) ended up looking really different, more than I intended them to. Must be the eyes. :lol:
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:17 am

'Come Mr. Frodo!' [Sam] cried. 'I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him where you want to go, and he'll go.'

As Frodo clung upon his back, arms loosely about his neck, legs clasped firmly under his arms, Sam staggered to his feet; and then to his amazement he felt the burden light. he had feared that he would have barely strength to lift his master alone, and beyond that he has expected to share in the dreadful dragging weight of the accursed Ring. But it was not so. Whether because Frodo was so worn by his long pains, wound of knife, and venomous sting, and sorrow, fear, and homeless wandering, or because some gift of final strength was given to him, Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit child pig-a-back.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:19 pm

A new one, after a hectic month:

THE PASS OF CIRITH UNGOL

I based this one off Tolkien's own drawing of the place.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby ElvenArcher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Very nice work.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Again and again ElvenArcher, thank you very much. :)

The following are drawings that I either scrapped or stopped working on (for the moment):

Círdan, Elendil (the Tall), and Gil-galad

Elendil

(this brings us the question...is it 'proper' book-wise to depict Númenóreans with beards or something of the sort?)

The Mouth of Sauron

Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep

(I actually really loved this one...but later on, I just lost interest in continuing it)

Gandalf and Erkenbrand

Morgoth (part of head)

Here's a fairly complete one:

The Lord of the Nazgûl
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 am

Quite good, especially the Witch-king. And, I wish you will get to finish the Gandalf and Erkenbrand one in the future. :thumbsup:
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby pat457 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am

rowanberry wrote:Quite good, especially the Witch-king. And, I wish you will get to finish the Gandalf and Erkenbrand one in the future. :thumbsup:

I can't make any promises, but I will try.

By the way, does anybody have any criticism or any good advice, such as how to depict certain characters (just like I've asked before: does Elendil or his sons actually sport a beard?)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:29 am

I believe that the question about facial hair is quite open. Tolkien has only said for sure that hobbits don't sport a beard at all, and elves only do when they get very old. Some think that human males with Elvish blood wouldn't have beards, but at least I don't remember reading anything certain to that extent, and anyway, Elendil and his sons would be separated from their elven ancestors by so many generations that the Elvish influence might well have disappeared. So, I think it's up to the artist and his/her mental image.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby pat457 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:30 pm

rowanberry wrote:I believe that the question about facial hair is quite open. Tolkien has only said for sure that hobbits don't sport a beard at all, and elves only do when they get very old. Some think that human males with Elvish blood wouldn't have beards, but at least I don't remember reading anything certain to that extent, and anyway, Elendil and his sons would be separated from their elven ancestors by so many generations that the Elvish influence might well have disappeared. So, I think it's up to the artist and his/her mental image.

Yet again, thank you very much. :)

Now for yet another:

...Along that narrow way their march was strung, when they were ambushed by Orcs, for Morgoth had set watchers all about the encircling hills; and a Balrog was with them. Then dreadful was their plight, and hardly would they have been saved by the valour of yellow-haired Glorfindel, chief of the House of the Golden Flower of Gondolin, had not Thorondor come timely to their aid.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:57 am

Excellent work pat. I like them all but if asked to name a favourite I'd go for the Romanesque treatment of Sauron's forging and dispersal of the Rings. It caught that feeling of antiquity for me as well as being a truly remarkable pastiche of the style. You must admire it a lot (as I do).
I also admire how you have not copied other ideas but have created your own images.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 am

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:Excellent work pat. I like them all but if asked to name a favourite I'd go for the Romanesque treatment of Sauron's forging and dispersal of the Rings. It caught that feeling of antiquity for me as well as being a truly remarkable pastiche of the style. You must admire it a lot (as I do).
I also admire how you have not copied other ideas but have created your own images.

Thanks! The Forging of the Rings must be my first attempt to make a faux-antique manuscript, if I remember correctly. I've been interested in these sort of things since I was a wee lad, and it seems to show.

As for not copying other ideas:
I think that stems from a sort of reaction I had when I saw a lot of Elijah Wood Frodos or Orlando Bloom-style Legolas fanart to last me a lifetime on the internet - not that there's anything wrong with that. :) I'm a teenager and am admittedly in the fabled stage of "teenage rebellion", and unlike some teens out there I've never been too keen 'to develop an independent identity', as some put it, in the now-'conventional manners': I found myself trying to express radicalism and 'originality' in other ways such as this.

Note that I'm not saying that borrowing ideas and being inspired by them is bad - it's a natural process (in fact Tosh, my conception of the Balrog was originally inspired with your idea about how Sauron looks like, coupled with a few more ideas!). I'm only saying that there comes a time when an idea has been borrowed to death, which naturally prompts someone to try a more fresher approach on things. That is one reason why I draw the art I make: I wish to encourage other fanartists out there to borrow and be inspired by existing ideas and put a new spin on them.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Treebeard

Postby fnk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:55 am

Here's my Treebeard!
Image[/img]
fnk
Petitioner to the Council

Re:

Postby pat457 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 pm

fnk wrote:Here's my Treebeard!

Hey, very good art right there! :)

Now for something that is not directly related to the books:

A few Gondorian artifacts. :lol:

A granite tablet listing the Ruling Stewards of Gondor, found among a pile of rubble in the Silent Street during the late 19th century AD. The list is quite unique from its contemporaries in that it lists the first Ruling Steward's name in Middle Edelamese*: Barvil Bronweg - which other listings give in the archaic High-Speech (Modern Edelamese Lammran, "Noble Tongue") form after the manner of the Kings: Mardil Voronwë.

Edelam: From Middle Edelamese Edhellam, i.e. "Edhel-tongue".
Lammran: From Middle Edelamese Lam Brannen?

Encaustic portraits of two aged Perian (early Fourth Age), donated by Messrs. Razi Tûk Gerinion V and Hizban Bramba, presently on exhibit in the Minas Tirith Museum of Antiquities.

The Winged Crown and other imperial regalia, presently kept in the King's Treasury.

A mosaic of Denethor II, the last of the Ruling Stewards, and sons. Once gracing the Great Hall of Feasts (as part of a cycle depicting the Kings and the Stewards of Gondor), these were later covered with a layer of plaster and thus remained undiscovered until AD 1960. Many of the mosaics were eventually damaged during the 1980 AD Earthquake, which also wrecked the lower part of the city; the surviving ones were transferred to the Minas Tirith Museum of Antiquities, where they are now on display, while a reconstruction is now presently at the Great Hall.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:22 am

A couple of things cooked up during school:

The Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin

Once again, a Balrog.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby Almesiva Moonshadow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:26 am

Great pictures you have here!
:thumbsup:
And you made some of them during class breaks!!! WOW!!!
During the class breaks in my school,its so noisy in the hallways
that I cant hear my own thougths,so drawing whould be practicly impossible!

:(

Anyways,I like your artwork,you are very talented!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Almesiva Moonshadow
Citizen of Imladris

Postby pat457 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Almesiva Moonshadow wrote:Great pictures you have here!
:thumbsup:
And you made some of them during class breaks!!! WOW!!!
During the class breaks in my school,its so noisy in the hallways
that I cant hear my own thougths,so drawing whould be practicly impossible!

:(

Anyways,I like your artwork,you are very talented!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm very sorry for the year-long delay.
By the way, thanks very much! I might pick this thread up again if I have time. :)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:10 pm

It's been a number of years since your first posts! I'd love to see how your artwork has evolved.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby pat457 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:43 am

Elmtree wrote:It's been a number of years since your first posts! I'd love to see how your artwork has evolved.

Don't know for sure whether it really evolved to an extent, but for the moment, here's a very rough and poorly-executed Elendil (you can see the erasures for one). :D

'Tis too Roman, ain't it, what with the neck scarf, lorica hamata-esque mail hauberk, Narsil looking like a gladius and all. :|
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:50 am

And for old times' sake: a Mozarabic-esque patische I made up approximately a year ago.

(Large Version)

Recto

(Large Version)

Verso
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby GoldSeven » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:58 am

I adore your medieval type sheets. You really capture that early medieval period, in look and feel. Excellent work.
GoldSeven
Citizen of Imladris

Re:

Postby pat457 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:41 am

GoldSeven wrote:I adore your medieval type sheets. You really capture that early medieval period, in look and feel. Excellent work.

Thank you very much! I plan to post a few stuff here again. (Wow, time sure flies fast :D)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Re: My Fanart

Postby ElvenArcher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 pm

It's nice to see you back. I'm looking forward to seeing some new artwork.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:54 am

This from the earlier half of this year is supposed to be the Dragon Helm of Dor-lómin (again), but I guess it became too much of a Sutton Hoo helm pastiche. :wink:

Another one, from slightly earlier. Sorry for the small size (here's a better one I think). And please ignore the Barad-dûr behind Sam's back. :D

You know, as I look back into the earlier posts, I can't help but have that "Wow, things have changed so much" feeling. Heck, I'm beginning to have doubts that I drew all the pictures that were posted here were actually made by me! :D My skill and my style has changed with the years (hopefully for the better) and I expect that it will continue to.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 am

Another one from the elder days long gone. I think I don't have anymore vintage stuff to show. From hereon it probably will be new material.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby Nessa » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:03 pm

I like the "middle-age style" you use on some of your drawings! :)
Nessa
Petitioner to the Council

PreviousNext

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting