My Fanart

The artistic interpretation of Tolkien's imagination can be breathtaking. Or it can be appalling... Join in on the discussion of the artistic representations and collectible items in the Tolkien universe.

My Fanart

Postby pat457 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Recently I've been drawing some fanart in a small (regular) notebook during class breaks; hope you like them. I'll add some more later if I have time.

(I'm very sorry for the small image sizes, the monochrome-ness of the drawings and general sloppiness in some parts; all of these are taken using my wee cellphone camera (not having a scanner or a digital camera and using an old laptop with Windows 98 for an OS) and I generally don't like coloring my drawings, preferring to just shade them in monochrome.)

A Knight of Dol Amroth

A Guard of the Citadel

Saruman's Uruk-Hai

A Mordor Orc

Comments, Suggestions, Advice and Criticism welcome of course. :) [/img]
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:53 am

Frodo at Amon Hen

...And suddenly he felt the Eye. There was an eye in the Dark Tower that did not sleep. He knew that it had become aware of his gaze. A fierce eager will was there. It leaped towards him; almost like a finger he felt it, searching for him. Very soon it would nail him down, know just exactly where he was. Amon Lhaw it touched. It glanced upon Tol Brandir he threw himself from the seat, crouching, covering his head with his gray hood.
He heard himself crying out: Never, never! Or was it: Verily I come, I come to you? He could not tell. Then as a flash from some other point of power there came to his mind another thought: Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:55 am

Not bad, not at all. :thumbsup: The military characters remind me of old samurai drawings, which is understandable, seeing that you're from Japan.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby pat457 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 pm

rowanberry wrote:Not bad, not at all. :thumbsup: The military characters remind me of old samurai drawings, which is understandable, seeing that you're from Japan.

I guess I've seen more old illustrations than I was supposed to... :lol:

I have a bit more on the works, I'll post them when I have time.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:04 am

Here's a new one:

THE PILLARS OF THE KINGS

As Frodo was borne towards them the great pillars rose like towers to meet him. Giants they seemed to him, vast grey figures silent but threatening.
Then he saw that they were indeed shaped and fashioned: the craft and power of old had wrought upon them, and still they preserved through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn. Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone: still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in a gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a Crumbling helm and crown. Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a longvanished Kingdom. Awe and fear fell upon Frodo, and he cowered down, shutting his eyes and not daring to look up as the boat drew near.
Even Boromir bowed his head as the boats whirled by, frail and fleeing as little leaves, under the enduring shadow of the sentinels of Numenor. So they passed into the dark chasm of the Gates.

EDIT: I never expected the picture to be this big but at least, you can see it better, warts and all.
Last edited by pat457 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 am

Here's a quickie:

Gimli
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby Claymore » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 am

The details are incredibly well done. Some dynamism would be nice however. Your drawings tend to be somewhat static which a pity because you have an interesting style and a good feeling for perspective, ( better than mine anyway :D) And if I were you I would buy a sketchbook. Drawing on unlined paper is soooo much nicer believe me. I always have some with me for whenever I feel the urge to draw :D
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby pat457 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Claymore wrote:The details are incredibly well done. Some dynamism would be nice however. Your drawings tend to be somewhat static which a pity because you have an interesting style and a good feeling for perspective, ( better than mine anyway :D) And if I were you I would buy a sketchbook. Drawing on unlined paper is soooo much nicer believe me. I always have some with me for whenever I feel the urge to draw :D

Point taken. Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

FRODO AT WEATHERTOP

This was drawn on one sheet of bond paper, so obviously this is very large and I couldn't include every element of the drawing in the picture (and what came out is rather unclear and blurred but I'm leaving that); but I believe I've got about 98.9% of the picture in this one so don't worry about missing anything much. Then I uploaded it on the computer and inverted the colors using Paint (so this is technically a combination of computer and hand). I do wish that I could have made the Barrow-blade glow red, though I don't know how to.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:00 am

Inverting the colours gives a nice effect; it looks indeed like Frodo is in the wraith world. :thumbsup:
rowanberry

Postby pat457 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:08 am

Sorry for the hiatus. Here's something I cooked up after listening to 'Foundations of Stone' too much...

GANDALF AND THE BALROG

'Long time I fell', he said at last, slowly, as if thinking with difficulty. 'Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart.'

EDIT: I just looked again at this drawing and found the Balrog to be rather unsatisfactory (and not because it doesn't have any wings :P. Gandalf seems quite perfect though), so I might redraw this one at some time later; I'll put this up in my to-do list (along with the Moria one)
Last edited by pat457 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:27 am

Another quicky:

THE FELLOWSHIP AT THE DOORS OF MORIA (incomplete)

This drawing was originally intended to be in Early Medieval fresco-style, yet I just grew tired of it and left it unfinished; here it is in all its glory (This is actually not that big, only occupying a quarter of a sheet of paper).

From left to right: Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, Pippin, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:10 pm

I like the Fellowship picture, and noticed the style you were after. I really hope that you'll find inspiration to do a finished version sometime in the future! :)

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

rowanberry

Postby pat457 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:24 pm

This one's more in the realm of fanfiction:

A YOUNG DWARF BOY GOES DEEPER INTO THE LONELY MOUNTAIN AND SEES A CHAMBER

Detail of the runes (Angerthas Erebor mode):

I did many liberties with the runes (such as one or two 'bind runes' in the inscription), though and I'm not entirely sure that I transcribed the words correctly in some places. So yes, don't expect this to be an accurate use of Cirth.

In case you're wondering what that chamber is, the carvings and inscriptions on the walls and the door (and that hole in the door) give an idea of what that room is. That is something for you to find out.

HINT: Look at The Hobbit.:)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby shadowcat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:01 pm

very cool! like your style, reminds me of old Japanese woodcuts.
you say your still in school? what artists do you like?

keep up the go work!

meow!
shadowcat
Rider of the Mark

Postby pat457 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:02 pm

shadowcat wrote:very cool! like your style, reminds me of old Japanese woodcuts.
you say your still in school? what artists do you like?

keep up the go work!

meow!

1.) Yes, I is; thus I spend most of my time in school (if you include my playing baseball on weekends); only on my spare time I get to do this.

2.) What do you mean? Artists in general or Tolkien artists?
If you're talking about Tolkien artists, then the list would probably go like:

1.) Alan Lee
2.) John Howe
3.) Ted Nasmith

Those three are pretty much a given anyways, so here are the others:

-Daniel Govar
-Ryuuichi Terashima (1919-2003)-The guy who illustrated the Japanese editions of TH and LotR. Unlike other Tolkien artists, his illustrations on both are basically more like line drawings or sketches.

That said, I actually have mixed emotions on his artwork: for example, his The Hobbit illustrations are much more better than his LotR ones (and he made a mistake like depicting Gandalf as Hobbit-sized or Gollum as a scaly amphibian lots bigger than Bilbo in that work, thankfully he corrected these on LotR, except Gollum's amphibian looks)

-The Brothers Hildebrandt
-Anke-Katrin Eissmann
-Catherine Karina Chmiel

As for artists in general, I don't really like a specific artist, but here are the following art styles to which I am personally interested:

-Greco-Roman
-Byzantine Art
-Celtic Art
-Migration Period Art, which includes Insular Art (aka Hiberno-Saxon Art) and Visigothic Art
-Norse Art
-Viking Art
-Anglo-Saxon Art
-Pre-Romanesque Art
-Romanesque Art
-Gothic Art
-Early Renaissance Art

For short, I'm interested in art styles between the time period of 200 A.D. up to the 1500's, which is basically Late Antiquity, the Early (aka 'Dark' Ages), High and Late Medieval period up to the Early Renaissance.

That was European art. As for Japanese art:

-Kofun Art (250–538)
-Asuka and Nara Art (538-794)
-Heian Art (794–1185)
-Kamakura Art (1185–1336)
-Muromachi Art (1336-1573)
-Azuchi-Momoyama Art, which includes Nanban (Southern Barbarian, the term for Europeans)-inspired art (1568-1603)
-Edo Period Art (1603-1878)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Here's something a little more three-dimensional:

Thror's Map, red and black pen on treated paper (due to the absence of parchment)

Left portion of the map
Right portion

As for the Moon-letters, I wrote them using lemon juice and a hairpin. :lol:
The letters have dried since I took this picture and the runes won't come out...Perhaps I really need to look at it through moonlight? :roll:
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:26 pm

I've decided to revisit (redraw) the Weathertop sequence, this time from Frodo's POV. Note that the appearances of the Nazgul differs a bit from my former version.

A few details:

The Witch-King of Angmar

I've never really decided which of these two is Khamul, so we could just pretend that one of them are (or no):

pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Yet another quickie, for the moment.

THE LORDS OF THE VALAR...or at least, a monument depicting them.

From left to right: Manwë, Ulmo, Aulë, Oromë, Mandos, Lórien, Tulkas
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 pm

THE HISTORY OF THE RINGS OF POWER, part 1

DETAILS

If I could borrow a bit from the Peter Jackson movies' prologue:

Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

It began with the forging of the great rings.

Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings.

Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls.

And nine — nine rings were gifted to the race of Men; who above all else, desire power.

For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race...but they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made.

In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master ring, to control all others.

And into this Ring, he poured his cruelty, his malice, and his will to dominate all life.

ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL.

P.S. Having Annatar/Sauron facing the opposite of the rest of the characters is a conscious decision...so is having the nine men wear identical clothing (foreshadowing).
Last edited by pat457 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:01 am

I must say that, I like your drawings. :thumbsup: They're like medieval tapestries with a Japanese flavour... Too bad if you can only get them up as photos; if you don't have a scanner, maybe you could find someone who would scan the pictures for you? Then, you could put them up at deviantart.com or some other place like that (I'm not sure if the TORC gallery works at the moment).
rowanberry

Postby pat457 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:46 pm

rowanberry wrote:I must say that, I like your drawings. :thumbsup: They're like medieval tapestries with a Japanese flavour... Too bad if you can only get them up as photos; if you don't have a scanner, maybe you could find someone who would scan the pictures for you? Then, you could put them up at deviantart.com or some other place like that (I'm not sure if the TORC gallery works at the moment).

The good thing is: we already have a scanner (got it when we bought a new computer).
The bad news is, it's malfunctioning a bit.

As a heads-up, I'll try to use a digital camera when I can get it -- I'll replace the main pic above with a new one with something that's a bit more clearer.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:24 am

THE HISTORY OF THE RINGS OF POWER, part 2 (technically part 3 since I've skipped Sauron at Numenor)

DETAILS

Then Gil-galad and Elendil passed into Mordor and encompassed the stronghold of Sauron; and they laid siege to it for seven years, and suffered grievous loss by fire and by the darts and bolts of the Enemy, and Sauron sent many sorties against them. There in the valley of Gorgoroth Anárion son of Elendil was slain, and many others.

But at last the siege was so strait that Sauron himself came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell.

But Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the ruling ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for his own. Then Sauron was for that time vanquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years.

BONUS: Same picture shot with a red light.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Here's a new one I did in color:

Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly-looking goblins, lots of goblins, before you can say rocks and blocks. There were six to each dwarf, at least, and two even for Bilbo; and they were all grabbed and carried through the crack, before you can say tinder and flint.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby ElvenArcher » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:33 pm

I like your style very much. Glad you moved away from the lined paper.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:22 pm

ElvenArcher wrote:I like your style very much. Glad you moved away from the lined paper.

I'm trying to move away from it when possible. However, there are still times when I had to recourse on it (as on the next pic, which I did in school):

Riddles in the Dark
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Just another quickie:

There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made. And he spoke to them, propounding to them themes of music; and they sang before him, and he was glad. But for a long while they sang only each alone, or but few together, while the rest hearkened; for each comprehended only that part of the mind of Ilúvatar from which he came, and in the understanding of their brethren they grew but slowly. Yet ever as they listened they came to deeper understanding, and increased in unison and harmony.

And it came to pass that Ilúvatar called together all the Ainur and declared to them a mighty theme, unfolding to them things greater and more wonderful than he had yet revealed; and the glory of its beginning and the splendour of its end amazed the Ainur, so that they bowed before Ilúvatar and were silent.

But Ilùvatar called to them, and said: 'I know the desire of your minds that what ye have seen should verily be, not only in your thought, but even as ye yourselves are, and yet other. Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be; and those of you that will may go down into it.' And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame; and they knew that this was no vision only, but that Ilúvatar had made a new thing: Eä, the World that Is.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:45 pm

:TÚRIN・
TURAM
BAR・DAG
NIR・GLAU
RUNGA:

:NIENOR・NÍNIEL:

--------
Then they lifted up Túrin, and found that Gurthang had broken asunder. But Elves and Men gathered there great store of wood, and they made a mighty burning, and the Dragon was consumed to ashes. Túrin they laid in a high mound where he had fallen, and the shards of Gurthang were laid beside him. And when all was done, the Elves sang a lament for the Children of Húrin, and a great grey stone was set upon the mound, and thereon was carven in runes of Doriath:

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA

and beneath they wrote also:

NIENOR NÍNIEL

But she was not there, nor was it ever known whither the cold waters of Teiglin had taken her.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby andurilwest » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Cool! Especially the fake documents, very Tolkien-like since he dabbled in that himself.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby pat457 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:31 am

andurilwest wrote:Cool! Especially the fake documents, very Tolkien-like since he dabbled in that himself.

Did he now? Very interesting that is, yes...

Now for a new one:

The ranks of the orcs had opened, and they crowded away, as if they themselves were afraid. Something was coming up behind them. What it was could not be seen: it was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape, maybe, yet greater: and a power and terror seemed to be in it, and go before it.

It came to the edge of the fire and the light faded as if a cloud had bent over it. Then with a rush it leaped across the fissure. The flames roared up to greet it, and wreathed about it; and a black smoke swirled in the air. Its streaming mane was kindled, and blazed behind it. In its right hand was a blade like a stabbing tongue of fire; in its left it held a whip of many thongs.

The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand. His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils. But Gandalf stood firm.

ON THE BALROG: Note that the Balrog has been remodeled here (compare with a former pic here).

Eschewing the very common "horned western demon" appearance usually given on Balrogs, I based the appearance of Durin's Bane on the Tibetan depiction of the Buddhist bodhisattva Vajrapani and on the Japanese oni (also cf. Raijin and Fuujin).

ON THE ARROW: Regarding the arrow on Gandalf's hat, I based it on the passage which states: "..Arrows fell among them. One struck Frodo and sprang back. Another pierced Gandalf's hat and stuck there like a black feather..." Even so, having an arrow sticking out of the hat is rather awkward.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17 am

I really like your interpretation of the Balrog! :thumbsup: Especially the fiery "mane" comes very close to my own mental image; I always think of a lion's mane when I read that part. And, the "wings" - you leave it appropriately vague if they are real, or just a shape of smoke and shadow.

rowanberry

Next

Return to Tolkien Inspired Art and Collecting