An unpopular opinion concerning Tom Bombadil

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

An unpopular opinion concerning Tom Bombadil

Postby Hasan006 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm

I feel like I'm one of the few people who think it's a good thing that they left Tom Bombadil out of the LOTR movies. I liked his role in the books (even though I still think he is a bit overrated), but tbh his appearance in the FotR movie would've been quite distracting and out-of-the-place and would've totally ruined the movie's pacing. Anyone agree with me on this one?
Hasan006
Petitioner to the Council

Re: An unpopular opinion concerning Tom Bombadil

Postby Denethor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 am

Believe me, cutting Tom Bombadil was one of the least controversial changes Jackson (and Bakshi) made.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf Greyhame » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Gandalf effortlessly slash's at the Goblin King's belly with Glamdring, the Foehammer's reputation alone would have been enough to finish him....

I believe Peter Jackson did this because he felt Tom Bombadil's and his scenes were too mood breaking to be comfortably left in. Not sure what other part he had to play in The Silmarillion & Lost Tales if he had more of a part to play at all, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing his inclusion in the new Amazon version. However difficult that might be.
Gandalf Greyhame
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 am

Hasan006 wrote:I feel like I'm one of the few people who think it's a good thing that they left Tom Bombadil out of the LOTR movies. I liked his role in the books (even though I still think he is a bit overrated), but tbh his appearance in the FotR movie would've been quite distracting and out-of-the-place and would've totally ruined the movie's pacing. Anyone agree with me on this one?

I suspect that far more people agree with you than you realize. I did like Bombadil's inclusion in Mind's Eye's radio adaptation of The Lord of the Rings for NPR, but in a film he would bring things to a crashing stop for too long.

What I really missed was the Barrow-downs sequence with Frodo and his friends encountering the Barrow-wights. With Tom cut from the story, the Hobbits could have been aided by Gildor Inglorion. They could have still been given the knives of the Men of Westernesse from the barrow and been sent on their way to Bree.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien