Amazon's LotR series reportedly to shoot in Scotland.

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Amazon's LotR series reportedly to shoot in Scotland.

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Article at the Daily Record: Amazon's £1bn Lord of the Rings series set to be filmed at new Scots studio.
Scotland’s new film studio has been handed a massive boost before it has even opened.

The £1billion Lord of the Rings series is set to be filmed at the new facility – if it is ready on time.

Arts body Creative Scotland plan to appoint an operator for the huge facility in Leith, Edinburgh, and have it up and running this year.

Amazon Studios’ blockbuster based on JRR Tolkien’s books has been lined up as its first major client.

A three-month filming and production run by the online streaming giants will begin in August.

Now, it might yet turn out that Scotland is only one of several shooting locations. Thoughts?
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: Amazon's LotR series reportedly to shoot in Scotland.

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

My initial reaction was one of shock, then of delight: I am named after that very place in Scotland where they're going to start filming.

I think it's not likely that this is where they'll be filming for Numenor: more likely to me is that Scotland could be used for Lindon or Eriador, which is, after all, where a large part of the show could take place, and also for interior filming. Numenor, I expect, will be filmed in the "warmer place" mentioned in the article.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Re: Amazon's LotR series reportedly to shoot in New Zealand!

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am

So...it seems that filming will, after all, take place primarily in New Zealand at the Auckland Film Studios and the Kumeu Film studios. This seems to have been confirmed by multiple sources. That does not completely invalidate the previous report; the Scottish studio may be involved in such pre-production work as pre-visualization.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien