Casting Announcements for Amazon's LotR series

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Casting Announcements for Amazon's LotR series

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Variety provides us with the first casting announcement for Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series:
Variety has learned from multiple sources that Markella Kavenagh is in talks for a role in the upcoming epic fantasy series. Details of Kavenagh’s characters are being kept under wraps, but sources say she would be playing a character named Tyra.

Kavenagh is known for having previously starred in the sequel series to the Australian film “Romper Stomper” as well as for roles in the shows “Picnic at Hanging Rock” and “The Cry.” She is repped by Silver Lining Entertainment.

Amazon and reps for Kavenagh declined to comment.

It is unknown at this time whether 'Tyra' is an original character or a false name for a familiar character from Tolkien's legendarium. A this Reddit post from two months ago provided this and other character names.
Auditions are well underway for the show and I've been told that four names in an audition script are Eldien, Beldor, Aric and Tyra.

The post did not provide descriptions of these characters and the names might be false.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: Casting Announcements for Amazon's LotR series

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks for posting - I completely forgot to post it here.

This news has me extremely excited to see what's next!
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:34 am

Hey, thanks for the original post at TORn! Credit where credit's due.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:41 am

Haha, thanks! I was very surprised (and a little proud, I'll admit) that I was the one to break the news. :lol:
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 am

This hasn't been posted here on this forum yet, so I thought I should share:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lord-o ... 203321951/
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Witchwench » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:40 pm

I can see him playing a young Elrond...if they are attempting to keep some semblance of character "looks" that Jackson had in his movies..he looks like a young Weaving or maybe one of his sons?

I would think they'd make a clean break from Jackson's movies and have all new actors and not try to match the "look" of characters that may cross over to the second age..but what do I know..nuthin! :)

Image < aka Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Maxim Baldry cast in LotR series

Collider reports:
Up-and-coming English actor Maxim Baldry, who recently played Viktor Goraya in HBO’s Years and Years, has landed a significant role in Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings series, Collider has exclusively learned.

Australian actress Markella Kavenagh is set to star alongside Midsommar star Will Poulter. Character details are being kept under wraps along with plot details. All we know at this point is that the LOTR series will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s book The Fellowship of the Ring.

From Baldry's appearance, I'm guessing he might be a Númenórean king. He's twenty-three years old (born: January 6, 1996) but to me he looks older in the photo.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:44 am

I can't wait to see what they do with this!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 pm

I look at Baldry, and I see an Elf - possibly Celebrimbor, maybe even Annatar/Sauron. He's just got a beauty about him that, for whatever reason, I don't see the Numenoreans having: unless he were one of the Faithful, but I don't know if they'll be in the first season.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Joseph Mawle (Benjen Stark in Game of Thrones) has been cast as a villain being called Oren in Amazon Prime's The Lord of the Rings.
Amazon's highly anticipated Lord of the Rings TV series has found its villain.

Game of Thrones grad Joseph Mawle has joined the cast of the scripted drama project, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter. Amazon declined comment...

...Mawle is believed to be playing a villain named Oren in the straight-to-series effort. He joins a cast that also includes Will Poulter (Black Mirror: Bandersnatch) and Australian actress Markella Kavenagh.

Perhaps Oren is really Sauron/Annatar. Or maybe he's a future Ring-wraith. Might Mawle be playing Ar-Pharazôn the Golden?

The story is also being reported by Variety, though the article doesn't really add much new.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Witchwench » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Oh, I like him as an actor, he did really good work in his GOT role, limited though it was...and I like that he is very unique looking, not gob-smacking beautiful and very watchable.

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 am

Deadline is reporting: ‘The Lord Of The Rings’: Ema Horvath Joins Cast Of Amazon Series
EXCLUSIVE: Ema Horvath has been cast as a series regular in Amazon Studios’ high-profile Lord of the Rings TV series, I have learned. Reps for Amazon and the actress declined comment...

...Horvath landed her first starring role in Blumhouse’s 2017 psychological horror film Like.Share.Follow., while she was still a drama student at Harvard. This past summer, she was cast in Quibi’s sci-fi drama series Don’t Look Deeper directed by Catherine Hardwicke. She is repped by Buchwald and Silver Lining Entertainment.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Hot on the heels of the news about the addition of Ema Horvath to the cast, we learn that: Will Poulter will not be appearing in Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series after all, Variety has learned exclusively.

Variety reports:
According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, scheduling conflicts will prevent the “Bandersnatch” and “Midsommar” actor from joining the show based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Variety had exclusively reported on Poulter’s involvement with the series back in September. The exact nature of the role Poulter was to play remains a mystery, but the search for a replacement is now underway. Other actors reportedly attached to star in the series are Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Maxim Baldry, and Ema Horvath.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Witchwench » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Thanks for the updates Otaku!

Image<Merry Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:31 am

Yeah, that last one is truly a shame. I was very much looking forward to Poulter's appearance. But now I'm even more excited to see who his replacement will be.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Variety reports: ‘Lord of the Rings’ Series Taps Morfydd Clark as Young Galadriel (EXCLUSIVE)

“His Dark Materials” star Morfydd Clark has landed a lead role in Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series.

She joins a cast that includes Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle and Maxim Baldry. Sources say Clark will play young Galadriel, the character famously portrayed by Cate Blanchett in Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films. This would mark one of the first major characters from the book or film announced for the show.

Amazon declined to comment. Reps for Mawle did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

Ms. Clark does resemble a young Cate Blanchett (though a bit shorter at 5' 4").
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 am

"The main focus of this first season would be Gandalf the Grey." Huh? There are some odd and outright bizarre statements found in this article: https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/118297789/lotr-agents-scout-pubs-christmas-parades-building-sites.

Teone​ Kahu, from casting agency Kam Talent, says they've been scouting country pubs and Christmas parades, trying to find enough people to fill the roles required for Lord of the Rings.

"This month alone, I've brought on 90 Japanese people, over 30 very good horse riders and a lot of elderly people.

Okay, I could maybe see casting Japanese people for a particular tribe of Easterlings or some similar group of Men; maybe even the People of Haleth (the Second House of the Edain). But things get stranger as the article continues.

Already, [Kahu] said KAM talent had found people to play body doubles of key actors. He said the main focus of this first season would be Gandalf the Grey.

That would be the Gandalf the Grey who doesn't enter Middle-earth until around year 1000 of the Third Age. Presumably he also never visited Númenor as one of the Istari, so how would that work?

"It's about the Second Age, 2000 years before The Fellowship Of The Ring. You'll see orcs in different a light, and different styles of people. There might even some humans," he said.

Well, that's wrong right off the bat--short by well over a thousand years. The Fellowship isn't formed until T.A. 3018. And there darned well better be humans; what does he think are the Númenóreans and other Men?

"Maybe even new types of elves. They might have some cousins that aren't blue eyed [with] blond hair."

That should actually be the majority of Elves.

Does Mr. Kahu have any idea at all of what he's talking about? He comes across as completely ignorant of the project he's working on (part of me is hoping that's true; otherwise we are looking at massive changes from the legendarium). I seriously question Kahu's credibility; does he also represent a Nigerian prince?
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 am

From Deadline: Robert Aramayo To Star In ‘The Lord Of the Rings’ Amazon TV Series

EXCLUSIVE: Game of Thrones alum Robert Aramayo has been tapped for the lead in Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings TV series, I have learned. He replaces Will Poulter, who had been in negotiations for the young hero role, referred to as Beldor, until he recently exited the project due to scheduling conflicts. Reps for Amazon and Aramayo declined comment...

...English actor Aramayo played Young Ned Stark on seasons six and seven of HBO’s fantasy blockbuster series Game Of Thrones. He also starred as Bill Harley in Discovery’s Harley and the Davidsons miniseries and co-stars in the upcoming Netflix miniseries Behind the Eyes. His feature credits includes Nocturnal Animals, Eternal Beauty and the upcoming Antebellum, The Empty Man and The King’s Man. He is repped by UTA and MJ Management.

Aramayo is 27 years old. I'm still not convinced that Beldor is an original character, but this seems more likely in light of the announcement that Galadriel has been cast. Beldor could still turn out to be Elrond who, like Galadriel, was a prominent character throughout the Second Age.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 pm

The site Redanian Intelligence reports that Amazon has allegedly cast actor Simon Merrells (Spartacus) in an unnamed, recurring role. This news has yet to be confirmed.

Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:59 pm

I speculated on my blog that Merrells could be playing Cirdan the Shipwright. I think he looks the part (obviously, he'd probably have to grow out a long grey beard, but he's grown out his beard for other parts, so I think he could do it).
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Deadline's Nellie Andreeva reports: ‘The Lord Of the Rings’: Maxim Baldry Set As A Lead In Amazon Series

[quote]British actor Maxim Baldry (Years and Years) has signed on for a lead role in Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings TV series, I have learned.

Baldry was first linked to LOTR last fall but he didn’t have a deal for the show, which was why Baldry was not part of Amazon’s LOTR cast announcement in January that included 15 other actors.

“We still have a few key roles to cast,” Amazon Co-head of TV Vernon Sanders said at the time. Baldry is believed to be playing one of those key roles, and his deal has just closed, I hear.

In other news, there's a rumor reported by Justin in tonight's TORn Tuesday webcast that the entire writing staff (including Tom Shippey) has been fired and will be replaced for Season 2 of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series. However, I have yet to see anything that confirms the story.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:In other news, there's a rumor reported by Justin in tonight's TORn Tuesday webcast that the entire writing staff (including Tom Shippey) has been fired and will be replaced for Season 2 of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series. However, I have yet to see anything that confirms the story.

I've noticed that TORn is particularly down on the series, and they have a tendency to spread negative misinformation about it. It's something I've called them out for on occasion, since, for the most part, it seems to stem mostly from their social media accounts and doesn't (or at least, hasn't up until now) reflect the actual views of anybody who works for them. I was dismayed to see that report. It's understandable that they're concerned about the project and we're all eager for news, but I feel like casual fans deserve to know the truth about the series, and TORn's social media accounts don't do a very good job of relaying that truth - and when they do, they sometimes put a negative spin on it anyway.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 pm

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:I've noticed that TORn is particularly down on the series, and they have a tendency to spread negative misinformation about it. It's something I've called them out for on occasion, since, for the most part, it seems to stem mostly from their social media accounts and doesn't (or at least, hasn't up until now) reflect the actual views of anybody who works for them. I was dismayed to see that report. It's understandable that they're concerned about the project and we're all eager for news, but I feel like casual fans deserve to know the truth about the series, and TORn's social media accounts don't do a very good job of relaying that truth - and when they do, they sometimes put a negative spin on it anyway.

As far as the news regarding Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey is involved, if true: His role in the production might have been of limited duration from the beginning and we might just be seeing its natural conclusion. Again, that's assuming what we are hearing is remotely accurate. I've still seen no proof for these rumors.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:In other news, there's a rumor reported by Justin in tonight's TORn Tuesday webcast that the entire writing staff (including Tom Shippey) has been fired and will be replaced for Season 2 of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series. However, I have yet to see anything that confirms the story.

For what it's worth, writer Gennifer Hutchison confirms via twitter that she is still on the writing team.
Periodic reminder that I cannot answer questions or give out any info about The Lord of the Rings series for Amazon beyond "why yes, I am working on The Lord of the Rings series for Amazon."

(And I have no say in hiring or casting either.)
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Okay, on the TORn Tuesdays webcast Justin admitted that the reference to the writing team being fired was really a reference to the expected hiatus, and he apparently misunderstood what was meant. Since last week there has been pictures form the set, the tweet from head writer Gennifer Hutchison and photos of the cast in NZ. The writers' room reassembles in April (if I have it correctly) to develop scripts for Season 2. The webcast runs for about 1.5 hours.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:Okay, on the TORn Tuesdays webcast Justin admitted that the reference to the writing team being fired was really a reference to the expected hiatus, and he apparently misunderstood what was meant. Since last week there has been pictures form the set, the tweet from head writer Gennifer Hutchison and photos of the cast in NZ. The writers' room reassembles in April (if I have it correctly) to develop scripts for Season 2. The webcast runs for about 1.5 hours.

I watched it! I thought Cliff's statement regarding the whole thing was very sincere and genuine, and I appreciated his honesty. I thought his suggestion that Bryan Cogman or one of the other screenwriters join them for a talk was a good idea, and I hope something like that will happen at some point.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien