Casting Announcements for Amazon's LotR series

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Casting Announcements for Amazon's LotR series

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Variety provides us with the first casting announcement for Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series:
Variety has learned from multiple sources that Markella Kavenagh is in talks for a role in the upcoming epic fantasy series. Details of Kavenagh’s characters are being kept under wraps, but sources say she would be playing a character named Tyra.

Kavenagh is known for having previously starred in the sequel series to the Australian film “Romper Stomper” as well as for roles in the shows “Picnic at Hanging Rock” and “The Cry.” She is repped by Silver Lining Entertainment.

Amazon and reps for Kavenagh declined to comment.

It is unknown at this time whether 'Tyra' is an original character or a false name for a familiar character from Tolkien's legendarium. A this Reddit post from two months ago provided this and other character names.
Auditions are well underway for the show and I've been told that four names in an audition script are Eldien, Beldor, Aric and Tyra.

The post did not provide descriptions of these characters and the names might be false.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: Casting Announcements for Amazon's LotR series

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks for posting - I completely forgot to post it here.

This news has me extremely excited to see what's next!
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:34 am

Hey, thanks for the original post at TORn! Credit where credit's due.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:41 am

Haha, thanks! I was very surprised (and a little proud, I'll admit) that I was the one to break the news. :lol:
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 am

This hasn't been posted here on this forum yet, so I thought I should share:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lord-o ... 203321951/
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Witchwench » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:40 pm

I can see him playing a young Elrond...if they are attempting to keep some semblance of character "looks" that Jackson had in his movies..he looks like a young Weaving or maybe one of his sons?

I would think they'd make a clean break from Jackson's movies and have all new actors and not try to match the "look" of characters that may cross over to the second age..but what do I know..nuthin! :)

Image < aka Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Maxim Baldry cast in LotR series

Collider reports:
Up-and-coming English actor Maxim Baldry, who recently played Viktor Goraya in HBO’s Years and Years, has landed a significant role in Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings series, Collider has exclusively learned.

Australian actress Markella Kavenagh is set to star alongside Midsommar star Will Poulter. Character details are being kept under wraps along with plot details. All we know at this point is that the LOTR series will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s book The Fellowship of the Ring.

From Baldry's appearance, I'm guessing he might be a Númenórean king. He's twenty-three years old (born: January 6, 1996) but to me he looks older in the photo.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:44 am

I can't wait to see what they do with this!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 pm

I look at Baldry, and I see an Elf - possibly Celebrimbor, maybe even Annatar/Sauron. He's just got a beauty about him that, for whatever reason, I don't see the Numenoreans having: unless he were one of the Faithful, but I don't know if they'll be in the first season.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Joseph Mawle (Benjen Stark in Game of Thrones) has been cast as a villain being called Oren in Amazon Prime's The Lord of the Rings.
Amazon's highly anticipated Lord of the Rings TV series has found its villain.

Game of Thrones grad Joseph Mawle has joined the cast of the scripted drama project, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter. Amazon declined comment...

...Mawle is believed to be playing a villain named Oren in the straight-to-series effort. He joins a cast that also includes Will Poulter (Black Mirror: Bandersnatch) and Australian actress Markella Kavenagh.

Perhaps Oren is really Sauron/Annatar. Or maybe he's a future Ring-wraith. Might Mawle be playing Ar-Pharazôn the Golden?

The story is also being reported by Variety, though the article doesn't really add much new.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Witchwench » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Oh, I like him as an actor, he did really good work in his GOT role, limited though it was...and I like that he is very unique looking, not gob-smacking beautiful and very watchable.

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien