‘LotR’ Series Gets Early Renewal, Sets Season 1 Hiatus

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

‘LotR’ Series Gets Early Renewal, Sets Season 1 Hiatus

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Deadline reports: ‘The Lord Of the Rings’ Series Gets Early Season 2 Renewal By Amazon, Sets Season 1 Hiatus.

Amazon Studios acquired global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings in a blockbuster November 2017 deal. It included a multi-season commitment to a LOTR series as well as a potential spinoff series. Still, each consecutive season after the first has to be formally greenlighted by the streaming network.

The early Season 2 pickup is good news for fans as it will allow for a shorter break between the end of Season 1 and the premiere of Season 2 on Prime Video,, which is available in 240-plus countries and territories..

In conjunction with the early renewal, the LOTR series will go on a 4-5-month hiatus after filming the first two episodes from Season 1, directed by J.A. Bayona. The writing team of the series, led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, will use the time to map out and write the bulk of Season 2 scripts.

Taking a break after the opening episode or two is standard practice for shows with straight-to-series orders as it allows producers and executives to step back and evaluate the footage much like they would do with a pilot. By going on a longer than normal hiatus, LOTR will be ready with Season 2 scripts so it could possibly film some Season 2 footage during the Season 1 shoot or even film the remainder of Season 1 and Season 2 back-to-back.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: ‘LotR’ Series Gets Early Renewal, Sets Season 1 Hiatus

Postby Witchwench » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 pm

I see their point..but I don't like it. They did that with the Man in the High Castle..dropped and episode and then had to wait 6-7 months for the rest...it was frustrating...but I get it I guess.

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien