Which is your favourite Extended Edition Scene?

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Which is your favourite Extended Edition Scene?

Postby Gorgoroth_101 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:33 am

I love the scene with the Mouth of Sauron, such a weird character I don't know if it should have been in the film, but I think the Saruman scene at the start of ROTK should have been in.
Gorgoroth_101
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Which is your favourite Extended Edition Scene?

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:28 am

Gorgoroth_101 wrote:I love the scene with the Mouth of Sauron, such a weird character I don't know if it should have been in the film, but I think the Saruman scene at the start of ROTK should have been in.

The Mouth of Sauron should have been in the film, but should not have looked, sounded and acted as it did in the film. A pompous man, as in the book, would have been much more effective.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby rowanberry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 am

Sam seeing the star between clouds in Mordor.

So much said with so little.

(And, I'm afraid that your favourite scene was one that I would have left on the cutting room floor...)
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:49 pm

I thought most of the RotK EE scenes were clumsy and self-indulgent, unlike the earlier films.

Favourites:

Frodo and Sam seeing the elves leaving ME

Aragorn singing the Lay of Luthien

The gift giving (in part, anyway)

The completely-made-up quarrel between Aragorn and Boromir on Anduin

Faramir seeing Boromir's body in the boat

Faramir and Boromir in Osgiliath

The extra Gollum scene in the Dead Marshes

I like the additional narration at the beginning of FOTR, but its just a (very generous!) extra for the fans, not being remotely necessary. The beginning in the theatrical cut was absolutely fine. [/b]
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Gorgoroth_101 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Another scene that I like is the one where the Witchking confronts Gandalf in Minas Tirith.
Gorgoroth_101

Postby Gorgoroth_101 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm

The scene with Faramir and Boromir in Osgiliath is great because it adds to that story arc which is tragic but very real. I personally know a father of two children and he clearly thinks more highly of the younger son. Its kinda sad really.
Gorgoroth_101

Postby LadyElbereth » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:05 am

From FotR - The gift-giving in Lothlorien - 'twas a crime to leave that out of the Theatrical release.

From TTT - Boromir & Faramir at Osgiliath - essential character development/backstory

From RotK - Houses of Healing and extra crossing Gorgoroth footage
LadyElbereth
Shield Bearer

Postby Lysanor » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Eomer seeing Eowyn on the fields of pellinor.
Lysanor
Shield Bearer

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 am

Queen_Beruthiel wrote:Frodo and Sam seeing the elves leaving ME

Love that one too. :) The music, the lighting, the mood, the small conversation - totally Tolkien in my imagination. :thumbsup:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Angmar Assassin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:30 am

I thought i just answered this somewhere else....?

Anyways.....I like the longer battle scenes. Also liked The Mouth of Sauron and the confrontation between Gandalf & Witch King.
Angmar Assassin

Postby erinhue » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:01 am

Action junkie that I am, my favorite scene period is in Return of the King when Legolas brings down the huge war Oliphant.... Or is it the entire Helm's Deep battle. Does that qualify as one scene?
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby cooper74 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 pm

FOTR: longer explaination of hobbits in the beginning
Aragorn and Elrond discussion at Aragorn's mother's gravesite

ROTI: Aragorn cleansing Aowen's wounds, music was beautiful
oliphant demise per Legolas
cooper74

Postby Starsinger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:17 am

I don't have favorites, I liked almost all of them.
Houses of the Healing was one of the best and necessary to the thread of Aragorn becoming king.
Faramir and Eowyn in Gondor, also necessary to the thread.
Aragorn and Elrond, in Imladris discussing Aragorn's mother.
Starsinger

Postby Isildur's Bane » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:49 am

I very much like the scene where they show Boramir and Faramir in a flashback after they had just retaken Osgiliath.
Isildur's Bane
Citizen of Imladris

Postby andurilwest » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 am

I know what's done is done and was done years ago, but I still can't resist venting spleen a little bit:
erinhue wrote:Action junkie that I am, my favorite scene period is in Return of the King when Legolas brings down the huge war Oliphant...

Watching that in the theater, my eyes were rolling so fast I went blind. :P ;) Stair shield surfing was topped!
Angmar Assassin wrote:Also liked The Mouth of Sauron and the confrontation between Gandalf & Witch King.

Gorgoroth_101 wrote:Another scene that I like is the one where the Witchking confronts Gandalf in Minas Tirith.

I'm thankful I didn't see those two in the theater, given their tweaks. :P

Re: Gandalf vs. the Witch-king - for the theater this was cut and replaced by video game trolls. I say this because the siege really felt like one at this point or even before, and of course their entry was replicated for the actual video game. One could say PJ "trolled" those of us who were expecting the gate face-off. And for DVD those "trolled" got a crueler twist. "Trolled" again!

Re: the Mouth of Sauron - at least he was in, but did he have to end up like he did? :|
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Aragorn

Postby Celedor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:05 pm

For some reason, I just love the scene where Aragorn sings the song between Bree and Weathertop.
Celedor
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Natchan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:09 pm

My favorite Extended scenes

Fellowship: When Aragorn sings the song about Luthian. Such a lovely little add in that I absolutely adored.

Two Towers: Flashback scene with Boromir and Faramir in Osgiliath.

Return of the King:

Faramir and Eowyn! ^^ <3
Natchan

Postby Sassyfriend » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:54 pm

The Aragorn and Boromir fight because we know even though they fought hey stillcared about each other as friends and like friends do they made up in the end :wink:
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 am

Last edited by siddharth on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby RohirrimNed » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 am

I liked The mouth of Sauron. He was so cool!

Anything with extra Rohan bits :D
RohirrimNed
Citizen of Imladris

Postby hotdangpros » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 pm

I love the scene between Merry and Pippin when they're talking about how much lembas bread they ate; after Legolas says one bite can fill the stomach of a grown man :P
hotdangpros

Postby RohirrimNed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 am

Adding another - Where Eomer finds Eowyn on the battle field and thinks she's dead. If Fili and Kili's death scene is anything as emotional as that, I will be happy.
RohirrimNed
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GreyWitch » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 am

My favorite extended edition scene is when Aragorn cuts off Mouth of Sauron's head. That was completely badass! =:)
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby tgshaw54 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Mine is one that I don't think has been mentioned yet -- Bilbo and Frodo's conversation while they're hiding from the Sackville-Bagginses. I wish that one could have made it into the theatrical version, as it sets up the relationship between the two for those who haven't read the book, with Bilbo having taken Frodo in after his parents died.

(Completely off topic: Just noticing that the FireFox spellchecker accepts "Bilbo" as a word but not "Frodo".)
tgshaw54
Citizen of Imladris

Re:

Postby Dunthule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Gorgoroth_101 wrote:The scene with Faramir and Boromir in Osgiliath is great because it adds to that story arc which is tragic but very real. I personally know a father of two children and he clearly thinks more highly of the younger son. Its kinda sad really.

My favorite EE scene as well.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm

There are two.
The one in which Frodo and Sam march along with the orcs in Mordor. It's actually disappointing to me how little we see of the land of shadow in the theatrical version. And that scene, had some tension. ;)

And the other being the one with Boromir, Faramir and Denethor at Osgilliath, in TTT. Very true to the book. We get to know the Faramir-Boromir relation. We get to know why Boromir was desperate to get the Ring.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re:

Postby solicitr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 am

Queen_Beruthiel wrote:I thought most of the RotK EE scenes were clumsy and self-indulgent, unlike the earlier films.

Agreed. The RK EE was made worse, not better, by the inclusions, which really deserved to stay on the cutting-room floor. The Paths of the Dead material was especially gag-inducing.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:05 am

And the other being the one with Boromir, Faramir and Denethor at Osgilliath, in TTT. Very true to the book.

I couldn't disagree more. Besides the inversion of the actual case, in which Boromir and Faramir had *lost* the eastern half of Osgiliath and broken the bridge to cover their retreat, we are here for the first time introduced to movie-Denethor in all his smarmy awfulness*, together with the throw-objects-at-screen line "Elrond of Rivendell has called a council." (also, David Wenham's reaction-shot to Bean's "break out the ale" is one of the worst, most forced EVAH)

*You want to see book-Denethor on screen? Look at Charles Dance in Game of Thrones.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 am

I was actually referring to the development of the character arcs, though I agree about Denethor not being true.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Chubb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:47 pm

From what I remember, I was glad to see the gift-giving at the end of Lothlorien (shouldn't really have been cut out in the first place); the scene between Bilbo and Frodo at the Birthday party; and Gimli's additional information on Mithril when in Moria! - an obscure one perhaps, but I think it provided more context to the later scene when it's discovered on Frodo.

I thought I'd be happy to see more of the Shire in the Fellowship EE - but overall I think the theatrical beginning worked much better, with the striking contrast between the darkness of the Prologue and the idyllic peace of the Shire 60 years on.

My favourite EE scenes all come from FOTR - I confess I wasn't the biggest fan of the latter two films, and the extensions didn't improve them much for me...
Chubb
Citizen of Imladris

Next

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings