Which is your favourite Extended Edition Scene?

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: Which is your favourite Extended Edition Scene?

Postby orcslayr23 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 am

It's hard to pick just one. I love the Saruman scene in ROTK, as well as The Houses of Healing (the song by Liv Tyler is fantastic).
orcslayr23
Citizen of Imladris

Postby solicitr » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:44 am

orcslayr23 wrote:It's hard to pick just one. I love the Saruman scene in ROTK.

Oh, dear. That scene is dreadful. "Kill him! Stick an arrow in his gob." "No! We need information!"

A travesty of Tolkien's moral vision, even worse than beheading the Mouth of Sauron. (Not to mention the absurdity of shooting an arrow a thousand feet straight up, or conducting a conversation at that distance)
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby The Heretic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:24 am

solicitr wrote:
orcslayr23 wrote:It's hard to pick just one. I love the Saruman scene in ROTK.

Oh, dear. That scene is dreadful. "Kill him! Stick an arrow in his gob." "No! We need information!"

A travesty of Tolkien's moral vision, even worse than beheading the Mouth of Sauron.

Can you explain that Soli? I thought the murder of MOS worse, myself.
The Heretic
Rider of the Mark

Postby solicitr » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:36 pm

I suppose on a moral or ethical plane people could debate which crime was worse (although both, to Tolkien, would clearly be crimes)- but Saruman was both a major character in the narrative, and one of the great persons of middle earth- in the book, Frodo spares Saruman (even after S attempted to murder him)- "He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it."

A long way from "Stick an arrow in his gob," is it not? Especially Saruman's response, rounding out a dialogue which I fear is beyond PJ's comprehension: "You have grown, Halfling... You are wise, and cruel. You have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you!"

Even in the actual Voice of Saruman chapter, Gandalf isn't concerned in the least with "information" (as if he didn't know full well that Sauron was moving against Minas Tirith!- more lame screenwriting): "You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable. You might still have turned away from folly and evil." And later, ""Not likely [that Saruman would repent], though they came to the balance of a hair. But I had reasons for trying, some merciful... I gave him a last choicer and a fair one, to renounce both Mordor and his private schemes, and make amends by helping us in our need. Great service he could have rendered. But he has chosen to withold it, and keep the power of Orthanc,. He will not serve, only command... I will do nothing to him. I do not wish for mastery. What will become of him? I cannot say. I grieve that so much that was good now festers in the tower."

The constant possibility of grace and redemption is very, very important to Tolkien, even if there is almost no chance whatsoever, as with Saruman, or only a faint chance, as with Gollum, that it would ever be taken up. But that tiny chink, that gleam of remembered sun on the daisies, that star glimpsed through a rift in the cloud, the faint glimmer of divine Hope, is an absolutely key element in Tolkien's universe.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby The Heretic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:32 pm

solicitr wrote:I suppose on a moral or ethical plane people could debate which crime was worse (although both, to Tolkien, would clearly be crimes)- but Saruman was both a major character in the narrative, and one of the great persons of middle earth- in the book, Frodo spares Saruman (even after S attempted to murder him)- "He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it."

Okay, I understand what you are saying.
A long way from "Stick an arrow in his gob," is it not? Especially Saruman's response, rounding out a dialogue which I fear is beyond PJ's comprehension: "You have grown, Halfling... You are wise, and cruel. You have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you!"

No doubt.
The Heretic
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gadget2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 am

I will posit that, for my personal tastes, FotR was the most enhanced and improved by the extended edition, largely because the scenes in question are not self-indulgent action sequences, but rather character and story enriching items (Elves departing, Aragorn & Elrond at his mothers grave site, the gift giving, etc.) RotK seems to be, IMHO, the most hurt by the extended scenes, not only because they are self-indulgent action scenes, but rather utter travesties of Tolkien (Saruman's death, Gandalf vs. the Wiki, the Mouth of Sauron).
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Therien Greenleaf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 pm

the drinking game. totally. :)
Therien Greenleaf
Petitioner to the Council

Postby RideroftheRohirrim » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:09 pm

It's been so long since I've seen the non-extended editions that it's hard to remember what was not included in the theatrical versions, but I definitely agree that the scene of Eomer finding Eowyn and the following House of Healing greatly adds to the movie -- I get goosebumps every time I watch that scene. Also, and I don't think this has been mentioned, I love the addition to FotR where Aragorn throws the short-bladed knife at Lurtz, who pulls it out of his thigh and licks his own blood off the blade. I felt that that displayed the Uruks' savagery and blood lust exceptionally well, and just gave a sense of the raw desperation of fighting such creatures.
RideroftheRohirrim

Postby Frodome » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:10 pm

Gandalf'sMother wrote:
Gorgoroth_101 wrote:I love the scene with the Mouth of Sauron, such a weird character I don't know if it should have been in the film, but I think the Saruman scene at the start of ROTK should have been in.

The Mouth of Sauron should have been in the film, but should not have looked, sounded and acted as it did in the film. A pompous man, as in the book, would have been much more effective.

-GM

Didn't he look like too much of a comic relief? Focus on his teeth, and making him laugh like that made me laugh too.

I haven't seen the theatrical release properly [only extended and whatever I saw in the theatrical I was confused like hell], so I don't know if I'm posting the right one or not.
My favorite is the elves leaving Middle-earth and Frodo and Sam watching them not knowing their fate is to join them one day too.
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby Black Rider » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:48 pm

"He's twitchin', because he's got mah ax embedded in his nervous system!"
Black Rider

Postby LordoftheShortys » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:00 pm

FOTR - Thats a tough one. But I would have to say the Passing of the Elves, where Frodo and Sam see those Elves go to the Grey Havens. It provides a very somber feeling, theres nothing left for them and they know they will not win this war. The music and the glow of the Elves definitely gives them the otherworldly feel. A simple and quick yet somber and gorgeous scene with lots of vivid colors.

TT - Easy one, my fave EE scene is with Aragorn and Eowyn as he tells her how old he really is. Im a nerd for the entire history of the Numenor bloodline, with the Dunedain being blessed with long life. Im glad that extra scene was added in the EE. :)

ROTK - The toughest choice of all... but I have to go with the Corsairs of Umbar. It does take away from the surprise that Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli appear on the boats later in the battle. I love it though for two reasons: I love how frightened the guys on the ship looked when they saw the Army of the Dead and Legolas killed Peter Jackson. :lol: :D
LordoftheShortys

Postby Ninui » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:58 pm

TT :

Aragorn taking the first bite of Eowyn's stew
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:26 am

Hmmmmmm i do like the Frodo and Sam one when they are climbing down the cliff at Emyn Muil, and they sit in the rain.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:31 am

Actually this is it:
FOTR - when the hobbits pass through the midgewater marshes with Strider
TTT - all of the Faramir/Boromir flashbacks
ROTK - would either have to be the Mount Doom extended scene or when Saruman dies
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Sassyfriend » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 pm

1. Seeing Boromir and Faramir together

2. More of Boromir's fight scene at Amon hen

3. Understanding more about Aragorn and Boromir
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby Captain Boromir » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:58 pm

I've got to agree with most of the posts on here that the scene in TTT EE with Boromir and Faramir is one of the best and I have heard a lot of people say it should have been in the theatrical release. But overall I love the Extended Editions. My sister and I agree once you have seen them you can never go back to the regular versions. You just feel like you are missing too much.
Captain Boromir
Citizen of Imladris

Re:

Postby Arassuil » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:10 pm

From FotR - 1.Aragorn singing the Lay of Luthien. I get why it was cut, but it is a great part. The Lorien scenes. The gift giving is good, and theextra bit with Celeborn makes it worth having him in the movie.

From TTT - Boromir & Faramir at Osgiliath. Good history even though it adds to Denethor's @shholery.

From RotK - The Houses of Healing and the tiny bit of Farmir and Eowyn getting together.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby brodobaggins » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:42 am

I like the scene with Eoywn and Aragorn, when she gives him the horrible stew. Nice light moment that adds some info about his age and experience.
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby prmiller » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:56 pm

brodobaggins wrote:I like the scene with Eoywn and Aragorn, when she gives him the horrible stew. Nice light moment that adds some info about his age and experience.

I completely agree!
I remember having a good laugh over that scene
in a part of the movie that was rather ... grim.
The gift of rain for the glory of green. Ah, May!

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby redrobot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 pm

not so much scene as moment. 2 examples -

1. the moment saruman and wormtongue walk out onto the balcony to see the massed ranks of the army below.

2. the moment the protector (?) of gondor bites into the tomato as faramir rides to certain death
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Postby brodobaggins » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:57 am

Pretty sure those scenes were in the theatrical cut bro. And it's Denethor you're speaking of.
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby redrobot » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 pm

again, not a scene but a moment - when bilbo gets fierce with frodo in rivendell when he sees the ring
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings