Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

Postby Son of Gondor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am

Whats the worst scene in the trilogy? :)

For me, Its Witch King knocking gandalf the white off his horse( ROTK EE)

Why its worst:

Gandalf the grey(maia) who killed a freaking balrog(another maia) and died and later returned as Gandalf the white(a far more powerful maia) got owned by some angmar boy(who was once a man)
:| :cry2:

Sorry if this thread is already exist in this forum, I am new here and sorry for my poor english. :wink: :happydance: :clap:
Son of Gondor
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Almesiva Moonshadow » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 am

For me,the worst scene is in ROTK,when Eowyn is sleeping in the Main Hall
of Meduseld,and Aragorn comes and tucks her in,and she tells him about
her dream and stuff...
I mean,why the hell whould the king's niece sleep in the Main Hall?
She would surely have her own private chambers,or no???

That part is really screwed up,and I dont like it one bit... :nono:

I like all the rest of the trilogy though...8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way,your english is perfect!!!

Pozdrav!!!
Almesiva Moonshadow
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

Postby Shadowfaex » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Son of Gondor wrote:Whats the worst scene in the trilogy? :)

Gandalf the grey(maia) got owned by some angmar boy(who was once a man)

Welcome to the boards. I personally think that is actually one of the best scenes of the movie. I would agree with you about the angmar boy, if the Witch King wasn't the right hand of Sauron himself ;)

I didn't like the scenes that we saw the Orcs. Sometimes they were made too ugly.
:(

And yeah, your english is, as Almesiva Moonshadow says, is perfect :) :)
Shadowfaex
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Weathertop. Hands down. It reminded me of a local haunted mansion and playground set that goes up every Halloween. PJ managed to take one of the scariest and creepiest moments in the book, and turn it into total cr*p.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Son of Gondor,

Your English is great! But if you're interested in improving, let me note a couple things:

For me, Its Witch King knocking gandalf the white off his horse ( ROTK EE)

When referring to the specific title of a specific someone, you must use an article. In this case, it has to the "The Witch King" not just "Witch King."

Why its worst:

A superlative adjective, used in this way, must also be preceded by an article. In this case, you should say "the worst" not just "worst."

Gandalf the grey(maia) who killed a freaking balrog(another maia) and died and later returned as Gandalf the white(a far more powerful maia) got owned by some angmar boy(who was once a man)

Perfect! Just capitalize the "G" in "grey."

Sorry if this thread is already exist in this forum, I am new here and sorry for my poor english.

The sentence construction here is a little off. The sentence should read "Sorry if this thread already exists in this forum. I am new here and I apologize for my poor English."

I hope that helps!

-GM
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Welcome to TORC, Son of Gondor. :D

I hated a lot of scenes, but some more so than others. I think my number one is:

Saruman falling to his death on the Spiky Wheely of Death Thingy . . .

Pure, unadulterated rubbish. Not even remotely Tolkien, but definitely low-budget, B movie PJ at his best.

:D:D:D

Oh and . . .
GM wrote:Perfect! Just capitalize the "G" in "grey."

Not to mention the "W" in "white". :P:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Good catch, Silver! ;)

Perhaps I could use some lessons myself...

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby jimmyaustin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:12 pm

I despise all the Gimli-as-buffoon scenes. Financially, they made sense, because they drew 10-year-olds in to repeat viewings. But they are one of the chief reasons that these were not, alas, films for grownups.
jimmyaustin
Shield Bearer

Postby Son of Gondor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks everybody especially Gandalf'sMother. :)
Son of Gondor

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm

LOL GM, always glad to help out. ;) And fel free to call me Scribbles. (Silver reminds me of a certain Ranger's horse . . . ) :D

And I wasn't terribly fond of Gimli's "buffoon" scenes either. None of Tolkien's characters, to me, deserved the indignity of passing wind during a drinking contest. :roll:

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 am

There are quite a few contenders for 'worst scene'.

(I like the films, btw, and there are many good scenes. :) )

But back to the worst.

It's a tie between two scenes in RotK that I find deeply painful:

1) Gandalf beating Denethor up (PJ blithely ignores the honour code that all Tolkien's 'good guys' live by :roll: ) and 2) Frodo sending Sam away. Here PJ ignores the great scene in which Gollum nearly repents on the stairs of Cirith Ungol and substitutes in its place a stupid quarrel about lembas ... in so doing, he assassinates both Frodo's character -- Frodo is too wise to be duped by Gollum -- and Sam's.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby JewelSong » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 am

Worst scene for me was Frodo sending Sam away...hands down. A complete change from the books and, as Di said, it destroyed Frodo's character.

Having Sam appear with the Star Glass as Shelob wrapped Frodo in her web ALMOST made up for it. But...not quite.

I loved Weathertop. :D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:28 am

JewelSong wrote:I loved Weathertop. :D

:lol:

Weathertop is OK. :) Certainly not the worst, by a long shot, IMO. ;)

Although, Frodo dropping his sword makes me :nono:

I can see why GM objects to the scene on artistic grounds, because Book Weathertop is scarier.

OTOH I do think PJ had to show an actual fight ... the Nazgul withdrawing because Frodo yelled out Elbereth's name (a holy invocation, sure) would be a difficult thing to pull off convincingly. IMO.

But the Nazgul look fabulous, if nothing else. :D
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Son of Gondor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:37 am

[quote="Diamond of Long Cleeve"Frodo sending Sam away. Here PJ ignores the great scene in which Gollum nearly repents on the stairs of Cirith Ungol and substitutes in its place a stupid quarrel about lembas ... in so doing, he assassinates both Frodo's character -- Frodo is too wise to be duped by Gollum -- and Sam's.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:[/quote]

Agreed

Frodo is the most annoying character in the movies.
Son of Gondor

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:35 am

2) Frodo sending Sam away. Here PJ ignores the great scene in which Gollum nearly repents on the stairs of Cirith Ungol and substitutes in its place a stupid quarrel about lembas ... in so doing, he assassinates both Frodo's character -- Frodo is too wise to be duped by Gollum -- and Sam's.

Completely unforgivable, I agree.

As for Weathertop, my Lord. What exactly is remotely enjoyable to watch about that scene? It looked awful, and it ends with a flaming torch embedded in a Nazgul's face. The least Tolkien, the least convincing, the most amateurish and high school film project-esque scene in the films. Though the Frodo sending Sam away scene is canonically probably the most egregious error, on purely cinematic grounds Weathertop is the absolute worst. And that's not an opinion. :)

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Terp » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 pm

A couple of bad ones come to mind:

Aragorn with the palantir. It's at the wrong time, wrong place, and accomplishes the wrong things when it comes to storytelling.

The Mouth of Sauron scene; the fact that Aragorn chops off his head irks me more than PJ's treatment of Faramir... and that's saying a lot.

Speaking of Faramir, how about the "beating of Gollum" scene? Or the "Denethor seeing visions of Boromir" scene? Absolute rubbish.

However, none of these compare to that @#@$!&*, !@#&$^%<, !*!&*^^@, dang stupid Frodo telling Sam to leave scene! Over stinking lembas crumbs!!! AHHHH! :x

:wink:
Terp

Postby *Alassë* » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm

1) Hands down, nothing was worse than Frodo sending Sam away. Their friendship and loyalty is one of the most beautiful things in the book, imo. Thanks for destroying that, PJ :x

2) Faramir. Just… he’s my favourite character! And the dialog between him and Frodo when they first met is brilliant, one of my favourite parts in the trilogy, and they changed it! Frodo was also changed, which I hated too though not as much.

3) Gimli as comic relief :nono:

4) Denethor’s treatment.

I can go on and on :P So, basically, the scenes that most bothered me were all those that changed the nature of the characters. Then there are those scenes that I felt were unnecessary, like the wargs' attack in TTT. Oh, and I almost forgot Legolas’ super acrobatic fighting skills
:roll:
*Alassë*
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:13 pm

In my opinion the worst scene was at Helms Deep. I loved the battle scene, but I didn't like how Pete made the elves part of it. I understand that Jackson wanted to make the battle a bit more Epic, but you don't just conjure up a nonexistant army of Elves and kill Haldir in the process. :P
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby *Alassë* » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Quimrill_Renctar wrote:In my opinion the worst scene was at Helms Deep. I loved the battle scene, but I didn't like how Pete made the elves part of it. I understand that Jackson wanted to make the battle a bit more Epic, but you don't just conjure up a nonexistant army of Elves and kill Haldir in the process. :P

My brain had blocked that out, why did you have to remind me of it? :D :D
*Alassë*
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:18 am

Galadriel's mirror. I hate that scene.

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Martin the Warrior » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 am

The worst scene for me had to be the scenes between Aragorn and Arwen, especially the non-existant completely in elvish scenes that were not in the book or even hinted in the book. In fact the only time I can think of when they are scene together in FoTR was in the Last Homely House and all they did was hold hands. ***Sigh*** I loved the movies, but I am still disappointed with that.
Martin the Warrior
Rider of the Mark

Postby *Alassë* » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Martin, just because Frodo didn't witnessed any other interaction between Aragorn and Arwen doesn't mean they didn't happen. If PJ wanted some romantic stuff, scenes in Rivendell were the way to go (unlike that part where Arwen went to rescue Frodo, replacing another of my favourite parts in the book).

The problem I had with those parts was how it was always about Aragorn doubting his worth/skills/whatever and Arwen telling him how wrong he was :bang:
*Alassë*
Shield Bearer

Postby Lebasi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 pm

*Alassë* wrote:(unlike that part where Arwen went to rescue Frodo, replacing another of my favourite parts in the book).

That part might be the worst part for me, along with the parts with Faramir in TTT and Frodo sending Sam away (and maybe soem other stuff as well, I'm just not thinking about that at the moment). On top of it replacing a good character it gave Arwen some really annoying lines and actions.

I do like the films.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Birch_Tree » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:49 am

I agree with most of the above. There was a lot of bad bits in the Movie, even more with regards to the extended edition.

I am not claiming it to be the worst, but one which irks me is the ghost army sweeping away the forces of Sauron like a radioactive tide.
Birch_Tree
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:28 am

Oh yes, the Arwen saving Frodo and the Ford of Rivendell... :roll:
The ABSOLUTE worst part of the entire trilogy... :x

Well aside from casting Liv Tyler as Arwen anyway....

My Favorite Star Wars Character....

Mr. Cool Himself. :D

May Is Star Wars Month in the TVM!!!

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD Image :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 15 :D

LOSSES: 17 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan Image

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 am

Birch_Tree wrote:I agree with most of the above. There was a lot of bad bits in the Movie, even more with regards to the extended edition.

I am not claiming it to be the worst, but one which irks me is the ghost army sweeping away the forces of Sauron like a radioactive tide.

That scene is so bad that it is not even worth mentioning. It is basically beneath criticism or commentary.

Here's to hoping Peter Jackson finds a new director for the Hobbit in the 11th hour...

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby MithLuin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 am

Birch_Tree wrote:I am not claiming it to be the worst, but one which irks me is the ghost army sweeping away the forces of Sauron like a radioactive tide.

...of scrubbing bubbles.

They look like green suds from a cleaning product commercial, wiping the city clean of orcs. They are the epitome of 'overwhelming force', pulling off the Orliphant stunt with ease, a mere footnote. The only thing that makes that scene at all worthwhile is that Aragorn dismissing them before the final battle has some weight. After all, they are clearly the best Army in Middle Earth, and whoever commands them can rule the world. Forget the temptation of the Ring when you have power like that on your side!

I do wish they were a Grey Army rather than a Radioactive Green Army, though. Grey has to do with death, decay, fading, mist, shadows, etc. Green is just...poisonous? Completely wrong vibe for faded undead ghosts. And a ghost army has no place in the sunlight.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:37 am

Gandalf'sMother wrote:
Birch_Tree wrote:I am not claiming it to be the worst, but one which irks me is the ghost army sweeping away the forces of Sauron like a radioactive tide.

That scene is so bad that it is not even worth mentioning. It is basically beneath criticism or commentary.
-GM

Bang on, both of you, and MithLuin as well. ;) I thought the Scrubbing Bubbles were only outdone in the Most Tacky Department by that incredibly cheesy cascade of skulls inside the mountain. I mean . . . puuuhhhleeeeeeze.

SilverScribe

Postby *Alassë* » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Bang on, both of you, and MithLuin as well. I thought the Scrubbing Bubbles were only outdone in the Most Tacky Department by that incredibly cheesy cascade of skulls inside the mountain. I mean . . . puuuhhhleeeeeeze.

I agree, but at least that was only in the EE... right? I can't remember :|
*Alassë*
Shield Bearer

Postby Birch_Tree » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:04 pm

To be fair to Jackson, I personally feel the ghost army was one of the weaker parts in the original trilogy. So it would have been hard to make it look good, probably would have been best to leave it out entirely and somehow write in how Aragons arrival in the south allow for a quicker victory allowing Gondors southern army to arrive at the battle just in time.
Birch_Tree
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings