Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Niphredil33 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am

It sure is, Di. :wink: I wish I could get rid of the 33, though - being of age is such a burden, don't you think? :lol:

I do have some other "worst scenes," so for completion's sake ;) :-

I really don't like "Young Mr Frodo, he's cracking" in the Ivy Bush in the Extended FOTR. A cataclysmically unintelligent way of trying to "soften" the class aspect of LOTR for a modern audience.

I also deeply dislike the scene where Frodo and Sam walk across the screen in orc-armour and Frodo is drooping. However canonical it might be, the body language coupled with the beaked helmet makes Frodo looks like the "out for a duck" cartoon they used to play on the TV during cricket matches (I'm not a cricket aficionado, so I don't know what that kind of "out" is). For me, unfortunately, it makes his suffering look ridiculous instead of touching.

Also a bit later in the film when he falls over in that staged, balletic way. It doesn't look natural, let alone like a stoical hero being stricken down in his final throes. This scene is incredibly moving in the book. Unfortunately, many of Frodo's scenes that move me deeply in the book make me literally cringe on screen. That's why I don't rewatch the films.

I do like his performance at the Sammath Naur, though. It's a true glimpse of how good he could have been in the role.
Last edited by Niphredil33 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 am

Niphredil33 wrote:I really don't like "Young Mr Frodo, he's cracking" in the Ivy Bush in the Extended FOTR. A cataclysmically unintelligent way of trying to "soften" the class aspect of LOTR for a modern audience.

To be fair to PJ, Ted is pretty rude about both Bagginses when he's gossiping to the other working class hobbits. :lol: Arguably, though, he wouldn't have been that rude to Frodo directly!

Although the Mordor scenes are not the worst in the films for me, they do not move me the way the book does. I don't think they're awful, and they don't make me cringe ... they're just not as good as the terse, stark, austere prose of the book in describing the hobbits' suffering as they stagger across Mordor and up the mountain. I really felt their agony in the book, whereas in the film it's mainly gorgeous entertainment (!)

(The film scenes just after the Ring's destruction are wonderful, though.)

I do like his performance at the Sammath Naur, though. It's a true glimpse of how good he could have been in the role.

Agreed.

P.S. I emailed you. :)
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Niphredil33 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Diamond of Long Cleeve wrote:To be fair to PJ, Ted is pretty rude about both Bagginses when he's gossiping to the other working class hobbits. :lol: Arguably, though, he wouldn't have been that rude to Frodo directly!

I don't think he'd have dared! Book Frodo does have a certain presence, after all!

But apart from the fact that I don't think he'd have been rude to him to his face, I think it's actually The Gaffer who says those particular words in the film. Never in a million years would Hamfast Gamgee have said that their young master was cracking, even in jest and out of his hearing!

Yes - I e-mailed you back! :)
Last edited by Niphredil33 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby Sassyfriend » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Didn't like how whiney Frodo was. Also I have a big problem with Elrond.
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby Niphredil33 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 am

Also I have a big problem with Elrond.

Hmmm, yes. "As kind as summer" he wasn't. ;)
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby Sassyfriend » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:32 am

I know. He was really mean!!!!!
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Re: Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

Postby Fergusmo88 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:23 pm

The worst scene was when Aragorn marched on the black gates and talked to the Mouth of Sauron. Before he killed the Mouth, Aragorn and his army were on horseback but after they were surrounded, everyone was suddenly on foot. What happened to those 2500+ horses? Did they just leave? :?
Fergusmo88
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 am

Fergusmo88 wrote:The worst scene was when Aragorn marched on the black gates and talked to the Mouth of Sauron. Before he killed the Mouth, Aragorn and his army were on horseback but after they were surrounded, everyone was suddenly on foot. What happened to those 2500+ horses? Did they just leave? :?

I'm sure I remember Aragorn slapping his horse on its flanks to send it away but, yeah - I don't know how many of his troops had horses but the logistics of removing them all from harm's way weren't really addressed.

My own personal gripe is with special effects, particularly the compositing (and dodgy light sources), and especially the shot of Frodo running into the Sammath Naur. He was sliding all over the path. I can't remember if they fixed that for the EE but I thought it seriously impacted on the moment.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Arlaug » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 am

I've always disliked the odd effects Galadriel had in FotR during the scene with Frodo, when she refused the Ring. On the other disadvantages and misses in continuity there had already been some statements. For what it's worth, I must say I dearly love Elrond, even with discrepantcies with the one from the books; he had this particular line of firmness and stability I needed to see in a person of his status and history.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobospartan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:10 pm

I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Legolas riding a shield down some stairs at Helm's Deep. There are 'worse' scenes in the films, but it's just so over the top, even with what they already had him doing.

Also, I came across this picture recently, and it made me chuckle.

Hobospartan

Postby siddharth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 pm

The worst scene. Hmmm.

Legolas surfing in Helms' Deep is one.
Some of the moments where Elijah Wood is at his worst. Mostly in FotR in TTT (as he improved much in RotK ).
The drinking game too was atrocious.
But the two worst moments are the Indiana Jones Skull-ride at the Paths of the dead and Gandalf defeated by Wiki.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 am

Oh I totally forgor about that skater boy Legolas scene. Perhaps we should consider naking it a "worst scene" one movie at the time.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 am

I think we should divide these list by what was in the TE and what was in the EE.

I think the surfing ride and the slide down the elephant trunk were among the worst in the TE.

The skull slide and the Mouth of Sauron and WK vs Gandalf were the worst in the EE.

I would also have picked another color and image for the spirits of the dead from the ships, tho' I know that had to be shown, somehow. And, now that I have seen the shifting shadows used for Sauron in DoS, I wish PJ had had that thought earlier.

I do not think that some things should have been included in the EEs as they just create bad images that some people can't get out of their memories. PJ should just have urned them.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:47 pm

The Skull slide and Leg-O-lass surfing are silly action movie moments but I'll take either of those over "Frodo sends Sam away", a scene which is the polar opposite of everything the Frodo-Sam relationship is in the books.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 am

Come to think of it, I would have cut a lot of the Frodo-Sam-Gollum trek. It was repetitious and did contain some difficult moments.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby MeadowForest » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 am

I always found the Shadowfax introduction really cringey and unnecessary.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 am

MeadowForest wrote:I
always found the Shadowfax introduction really cringey and
unnecessary.

If the Shadowfax intro was cut then Shadowfax would just be another nameless horse that Gandalf rides. Which will be quite unfair to the
book as Shadowfax is perhaps the most prominent beast in LotR.
And they did choose a very beautiful horse.
Plus, they needed to show how swift Shadowfax is. Which they managed imo, for as soon as Gandalf whistled, he came.

But I will agree with you on that the execution could have been better.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby darthgandalf99 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:28 am

Shadowfax is actually key to the plot, so I would hardly say an introduction scene is unnecessary. It's a film, these sorts of set ups are de rigeur.

It's not even comparable to the skull avalanche or the Wiki scenes in ROTK. Neither of these scenes are set-up, plot-advancing, character or resolution scenes - they are 'nothing' scenes completely silly within in the films, and certainly within wider Tolkiendom. Although both these are EE scenes, the fact PJ sought to cut then re-edit these scenes into a motion picture which he then put up for public consumption means they "count" as far as I'm concerned.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm

I loved the Shadowfax introduction. I think it showed how important he was as a horse, or rather a mearas.

For me, the "Sam, go home" bit and "The Ring will go to Gondor" I will never forgive PJ for. I agree with oldtoby. I don't mind the OTT silly action movie moments when compared to scenes that clash with the characters' book personalities.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I would back up MeadowForest on this. The fake whistle and the sappy music was just too Black Beauty for my tastes. I agree that Shadowfax needed an introduction, and I don't know how it could have been done better, but it was a bit crap, IMO.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby MeadowForest » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm

^ Hahaha! Yeah, when I said unnecessary I meant more how they went about doing that scene in its a tad prolonged way. I understand that this horse had to be shown as being a bit more special than the average horse... just needed doing somehow differently. :)
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:03 pm

My least favorite scene would probably be when Frodo tells Sam to go home. That scene always bothers me........
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby siddharth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:44 pm

Gorthaur the Cruel wrote:I would back up MeadowForest on this. The fake
whistle and the sappy music was just too Black Beauty for my tastes. I agree that Shadowfax needed an introduction, and I don't know how it could have been done better, but it was a bit crap,
IMO.

I find the music suitable. And so was Gandalf's expression when talking to him. But I would have preferred a shot of Shadowfax coming out of the horizon in a straight angle camera rather than the sideways shot. And a music-less scene would be effective too. (I think thats the one point where the DoS beat LotR. The balance between music-less, quiet scenes and music-oriented scenes is much better in DoS)
I think that would have been much more evocative.

And I too am in unison with OT here. Adaptationwise "Go home" and Filmamir are terrible.As a cinematic moment though, the "Go home" and Filmamir are still alright.
Whilst the action sequences are jarring. It just cheapens the quality of the scene, nothing else.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby morgulduin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:43 pm

oldtoby wrote:The Skull slide and Leg-O-lass surfing are silly action movie moments but I'll take either of those over "Frodo sends Sam away", a scene which is the polar opposite of everything the Frodo-Sam relationship is in the books.

Yes.
So many good candidates in this thread, but Go Home Sam wins in my view.
morgulduin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby fatty*lumpkin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 pm

hated the whole galadriel & the mirror scene
fatty*lumpkin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Frodome » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 am

I'd say Aragorn and Arwen's "love scenes." I'm always like "yuck! Why so much??" Tolkien didn't show any of this to prove/cite their love. Why did Jackson have to do so? I was so relieved to see in the book that there was nothing like that there. Even, before their marriage, the kiss was quite awkward!! The way it was done was not good. Huh! That's just me, though. ;) :D
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby solicitr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 am

"Arwen is dying." Because, to PBJ, Arwen's Elven immortality has nothing to do with one of the fundamental themes of the book...

I should say, if asked, the tale is not really about Power and Dominion: that only sets the wheels going; it is about Death and the desire for deathlessness.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Herinx89 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:50 am

In the second movie (Extended Edition), when Theodred is buried, and all of a sudden Eowynn is starting to sing/ scream. I laughed my ass off when I first saw that. :D

And the Army of the Dead in The Return of The King who ends the battle at Pelenor with a green soapy finish, really looks horrible.

In Retun Of The King (Extended Edition), Aragorn beheads the Mouth of Sauron in front of the Black Gate. It would be far better if he fought the Mouth in a duel instead of that Troll in the following battle.
Herinx89

Postby Gungnir » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:02 am

Herinx89 wrote:In the second movie (Extended Edition), when Theodred is buried, and all of a sudden Eowynn is starting to sing/ scream. I laughed my ass off when I first saw that. :D

I thought that bit was great. Nice to hear some genuine Rohirric (Well, Anglo Saxon) in the film.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Eucatastrophe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:56 am

Herinx89 wrote:In the second movie (Extended Edition), when Theodred is buried, and all of a sudden Eowynn is starting to sing/ scream. I laughed my ass off when I first saw that. :D

That is by far the best scene "invented" by the screenwriters that's not in the books.
Eucatastrophe
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings