Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: Worst scene in the whole trilogy.

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 pm

So many to choose from, but the winner is DEFINITELY Legolas and the Oliphaunt, the crowning ass-pull of ass-pulls.. though Eowyn's "ride-by Oliphaunt neutering" is a close second.
I have no idea where they thought that Legolas had the ability to do something like that, but when you've got idiots with cameras and unlimited funds, they tend to go crazy as they near the deadline and so they pull out all the stops just to go over the top. They don't care how stupid something is, just as long as it's BIG and stupid.
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Herinx89 wrote:In the second movie (Extended Edition), when Theodred is buried, and all of a sudden Eowynn is starting to sing/ scream. I laughed my ass off when I first saw that. :D

And the Army of the Dead in The Return of The King who ends the battle at Pelenor with a green soapy finish, really looks horrible.

Yep, it looked like a whale barfed. The whole concept was ridiculous; i.e. the king can just curse someone, and if they die then they become super-powerful? Then why doesn't Aragorn just curse everyone before the battle begins, and if one person dies then they can come back and vanquish Sauron's entire army down to the last orc?
Pfft.

In Retun Of The King (Extended Edition), Aragorn beheads the Mouth of Sauron in front of the Black Gate. It would be far better if he fought the Mouth in a duel instead of that Troll in the following battle.

A duel? He was an ambassador not Goliath; and it wouldn't make any sense for some cookie-monster to just wave Frodo's death in their face (and indeed it would smell like death, if he'd been wearing it under his shirt for six months with no undershirt)
But the Mouth of Sauron was just the peanut at the top of the dump. Not only did he look ridiculous beyond all realism, but it didn't make any sense. the whole "taunting over Frodo's death" was silly-- what was the point?
In the book, Sauron thought that Aragorn had the Ring, and the Mouth was just there to use Frodo's gear to offer terms for surrender; but he didn't know that it was Sam's sword, not Frodo's-- and Gandalf did.
In the movie, however, Sauron forgot all about the Ring, and feared the heir of Isildur for some reason, whether he had the ring or not.. what?
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby Peremensoe » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:38 pm

The real Mouth fears treachery, but appeals to honorable practice: "I am a herald and ambassador and may not be assailed!" The real Aragorn and Gandalf, of course, do not assail him.
Peremensoe
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:13 am

I took that statement as being sarcastic. He, being Sauron's tool, has no honorable intentions. In the minds of Sauron and Co., being honorable is a weakness.

Returning to lurk mode now. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby portia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 am

The whole Mouth sequence in the EE, needed to cut up and forgotten; not stuck in the EE where it could be a source of derision.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby LordoftheShortys » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:49 pm

I dont really have a worst scene. I dont ever think there was a "bad scene." However there is a scene Im not fond of. Its in the Return of the King EE. Its when Saruman talks to gandalf about what is going on in Middle Earth and what Saurons plan will be. It just wasnt right to kill of Saruman the White like that, to have him be stabbed in the back and just fall off. I prefer the death in the book.

But thats really it. I love the rest of the trilogy. <3
LordoftheShortys
Petitioner to the Council

Postby MistDelver » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:05 pm

My personal pick for worst scene would have to be when Frodo tells Sam to "go home" in TROTK.

At no stage in the book did the relationship between Frodo and Sam break down so badly as portrayed in that scene in the movie. It is, after all the strength of that bond that proved crucial to the success (or otherwise) of their quest; to play around with that most fundamental of relationships "just because" is the worst kind of taking liberties.

I don't mind the other alterations, adaptations, omissions or even clunky insertions or attempts at characterisation that occur in TLOTR (which probably happen in most movie adaptations of well-loved books), but please, please, please don't play around with Frodo and Sam.

Deep breath...
MistDelver
Petitioner to the Council

Postby ngaur » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 pm

At no stage in the book did the relationship between Frodo and Sam break down so badly as portrayed in that scene in the movie. It is, after all the strength of that bond that proved crucial to the success (or otherwise) of their quest; to play around with that most fundamental of relationships "just because" is the worst kind of taking liberties.

Yep. And quite apart from all that, the top of steep stairs of Cirith Ungol is the most idiotic place possible for Frodo to say to Sam, go 'home'. The real Sam would have punched him on the nose. Not one of PJ brighter moments.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby andurilwest » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:49 am

Frodo wrestling with Gollum, causing Gollum to fall, causing the Ring to be destroyed.

It botches the Providence/Destiny theme at the most crucial moment.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Aredhel Ar-Feiniel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:04 am

Helm's Deep. WHY were there Elves at Helm's Deep and how is it that these highly skilled warriors (we're talking at least centuries worth of training and experience in battle) were ALL annihilated by the end of the battle when many mediocre warrior Men survived? PJ made Elves look like delicate little flowers. :?
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:30 am

There were many scenes that were annoying.
Others have already pointed them out, but can't keep myself from repeating the same.
Frodo on Weathertop seemed embarrassing when he was JUST being carried away by the Elf-maiden, Arwen. That scene, with as much dramatization, could have been played out well and showing the physical strength of Frodo.
Dear Faramir asking for the Ring from the Hobbits. That scene in the film had actually made me hate the character. Had a very bad impression of him until I read the book and realized what a gem of a man he really is.
Gandalf beating up Denether scene was hilarious but stupid.
Frodo sending Sam away. Though it might have an another explanation saying Frodo wanted Sam to stay away from the Ring, but seriously, in the heart of Mordor you don't expect the poor Hobbit to find his way home.
Arwen and Aragorn's romantic scenes made me go yuck many a times!! I'm not a romantic person. :D if they wanted to imply that it's her love that's helping him in going on on a hopeless journey, they could have done that without adding too much of physical intimacy.
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Jolly_Roger » Mon May 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel wrote:Helm's Deep. WHY were there Elves at Helm's Deep and how is it that these highly skilled warriors (we're talking at least centuries worth of training and experience in battle) were ALL annihilated by the end of the battle when many mediocre warrior Men survived? PJ made Elves look like delicate little flowers.

We be sailin' with the same colors on this one. What were they thinking? Pointy ears need more screen time, no doubt. :angry:
Jolly_Roger
Shield Bearer

Postby Siberian » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Jolly_Roger wrote:
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel wrote:Helm's Deep. WHY were there Elves at Helm's Deep and how is it that these highly skilled warriors (we're talking at least centuries worth of training and experience in battle) were ALL annihilated by the end of the battle when many mediocre warrior Men survived? PJ made Elves look like delicate little flowers.

We be sailin' with the same colors on this one. What were they thinking? Pointy ears need more screen time, no doubt. :angry:

Worst scenes? Almost everything in TTT and ROTK aside from Gollum (guess what, he's the least changed chracter from the book). There's very little redeeming about those movies other than some visuals (and even there, who told PJ than the lush green fields of Rohan means they need to be so washed out?). Even Viggo said the last two movies were a mess.
Siberian
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:12 pm

If you're going to make a claim like that last statement, I'd like a citation (preferably a link) please.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Siberian » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:34 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:If you're going to make a claim like that last statement, I'd like a citation (preferably a link) please.

Here you go
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=106475
Siberian
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Thank you. :)

I see where Viggo is coming from. I disagree, but that's okay, we're allowed to disagree. :)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:40 am

For me the "Worst scene in the whole trilogy" would have to be:

When Aragorn prevents King Théoden from killing Wormtongue, as "too much blood has already been spilt on his account." This leaped me completely out of the movie. Letting him run for the hills, just like that, without so much as an apology for all of the mind-games, manipulation and death he'd caused. And who the hell is Aragorn to the king? He's a guest, that's all. The king just allows him to block his near-attack on Grima without question, or protest. I understand that it's part of the original story that Wormtongue flees Rohan, but this plays out completely false. Théoden had every motivation, justification and all authority to do the needful and Aragorn's sudden, misguided concern over Grima's life came absolutely out of nowhere.
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Re:

Postby lotrjw » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Diamond of Long Cleeve wrote:There are quite a few contenders for 'worst scene'.

(I like the films, btw, and there are many good scenes. :) )

But back to the worst.

It's a tie between two scenes in RotK that I find deeply painful:

1) Gandalf beating Denethor up (PJ blithely ignores the honour code that all Tolkien's 'good guys' live by :roll: ) and 2) Frodo sending Sam away. Here PJ ignores the great scene in which Gollum nearly repents on the stairs of Cirith Ungol and substitutes in its place a stupid quarrel about lembas ... in so doing, he assassinates both Frodo's character -- Frodo is too wise to be duped by Gollum -- and Sam's.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I totally agree with #2 that you said that was the most painful scene to watch in the whole thing, I often skip that scene when rewatching the original films, thankfully good fanedits avoid that scene!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Previous

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings