Will The Silmarillion be made.

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Will The Silmarillion be made.

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 am

Sorry if this already been mentioned and I tried to post this in the MOVIES NEWS forum but I could not post there.

I was wondering if Peter Jackson will adapt The Silmarillion to a series of movies or television mini series when he is finished with The Hobbit?

I hope he does or somebody might do.
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Re: Will The Silmarillion be made.

Postby Elmtree » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 am

I doubt it, as JRR Tolkien sold the rights to LOTR and The Hobbit ONLY. Christopher Tolkien did not like Jackson's adaptation at all (you can find on youtube an interview with CT). I doubt the Tolkien Estate will sell the movie rights to the Silm, at least not for a long time.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby AncalagonTheBlack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 am

I think that The Silmarillion will eventually get made as one or more films, but as Elm says, not for a very long time. Certainly not while Christopher Tolkien (and those who want to honor his wishes) are still alive.
AncalagonTheBlack
Ranger of the North

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:48 am

Such a shame the Tolkien Estate and Christopher Tolkien don't change their minds. I would have like to have seen and heard the Music of Ainur and Melkor's betrayal, the founding of Aman. The great journey of the Elves and Galadriel crossing the Helcaraxe. The rise of Tilion's moon and Arien's sun. The making of Numenor and it's sinking. The arrival of the five wizards in Middlearth, among other things.........
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 pm

I think it's more a question of them trusting the work would be done in a way they view as fitting. A way that honors the story as JRR intended it. Christopher does not like the Jackson films at all.
Elmtree

Postby FrodoTook » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:56 pm

HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:Such a shame the Tolkien Estate and Christopher Tolkien don't change their minds. I would have like to have seen and heard the Music of Ainur and Melkor's betrayal, the founding of Aman. The great journey of the Elves and Galadriel crossing the Helcaraxe. The rise of Tilion's moon and Arien's sun. The making of Numenor and it's sinking. The arrival of the five wizards in Middlearth, among other things.........

Same here. I hope I live long enough to see a movie of The Silmarillion. You echo many of my favorite parts of the Silm.

Imagine seeing the tale of Turin Turambar...The Fall Of Gondolin...Feanor...Glaurung...Eol...Beren and Luthien ( which could be a movie in itself ) oh my goodness. I just brought out my copy to further remind me of its glory.

I just know some can relate. I hope we do get to see The Silmarillion movie. I can imagine that with very good thoughts.

I hope so for all of us.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby andurilwest » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 am

If he's involved, hopefully never.

If he's not involved... maybe some things are best left to the imagination. Keep some wells pure to drink.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Wolfie65 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:08 am

Doubt it very much.
Too 'obscure' of a book for most.
Wolfie65
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Eriathwen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 am

I really hope not. I don't even want to imagine what it'd become in order to sell. Especially by PJ.
Eriathwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Ashke Verasca » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:38 am

I would prefer that never happened ^^ Sil is very...strange book and the only way it could be adapted would be very poor ^^
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby AncalagonTheBlack » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Ashke Verasca wrote:I would prefer that never happened ^^ Sil is very...strange book and the only way it could be adapted would be very poor ^^

I'm sure that a good screenwriter could make a (or more likely, several) good movies out of the material, but the screenplay would be in a very different form from the book. Needless to say, the Tolkien estate would not be happy with it.
AncalagonTheBlack
Ranger of the North

Postby krawler » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 pm

It would have to be in the style of a TV miniseries, if it were to be adapted at all. There's no other format that could possibly do any sort of justice to the numerous plotlines that run through the whole book. I don't really see the need for such a project, however. I think we're better off having a piece of the legendarium that cannot and will never be filmed.

In any event, such an attempt would inspire a great deal of in-fighting among the fans as to how much of the published Silmarillion should be used vs. what's available in the History of Middle-earth volumes.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 am

Dear Eru, after seeing what Jackson did to Denethor, can you imagine the mess he'd make of Maedhros?
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:24 am

krawler wrote:It would have to be in the style of a TV miniseries, if it were to be adapted at all. There's no other format that could possibly do any sort of justice to the numerous plotlines that run through the whole book.

Thats what I had in mind.

Despite, your reluctance I am still too curious to see what Peter Jackson would do with it.
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 am

HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Wolfie65 wrote:Doubt it very much.
Too 'obscure' of a book for most.

It's a book containing many stories-- and any one of them could be adapted if not for a theatrical film certainly for some other form of movie presentation (internet probably, or whatever replaces it-- we're past TV miniseries stuff now, or soon will be). You could develop a miniseries based on the stories of the Silmarils. Tolkien left many tales and I think some could be developed.

Would they be films of the same type as LOTR? I don't think so. But I think there are stories there that can be presented visually in film or whatever come after film.

But, as Tele said, not for a long time. Someone has to buy the rights first, and for that to happen, someone has to sell them.
Elmtree

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:12 pm

krawler wrote:such an attempt would inspire a great deal of in-fighting among the fans as to how much of the published Silmarillion should be used vs. what's available in the History of Middle-earth volumes.

I would love to experience that.

I would learn much from the debate / discussion.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm

HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:A fan-made trailer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9UcZPT2DU

Thank you HHH for sharing the link and your love of Silm.

A high quality Silm Movie might well be released in my lifetime.

I hope so.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Wolfie65 wrote:Too 'obscure' of a book for most.

Still, I am finding, thru conversation, that there are lots of us..even if we are a minority...who want to see a SILM movie.

I gather that you would love to see a SILM movie too...made by someone...even if it not be by PJ.

Me too my friend.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby solicitr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Would they be films of the same type as LOTR? I don't think so. But I think there are stories there that can be presented visually in film or whatever come after film.

The most obvious candidate is the Tale of Turin, since that exists in a reasonably self-contained novelistic form.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm

solicitr wrote:The most obvious candidate is the Tale of Turin, since that exists in a reasonably self-contained novelistic form.

I agree. The tale of Turin would be my first choice. The tale of Beren and Luthien is not far behind. Both are well worth while..in my opinion.

Both would make epic and tragic tales. And movie capable..in my opinion.

Awesome.

edited to say...

Glaurung is a bad azz dragon.

Pre Smaug

Smaug fondly reminded me of Glaurung.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby solicitr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 pm

"Glaurung is a bad azz dragon."

Glaurung, Smaug, Chrysophylax: Tolkien's dragons are some of his best characters.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 pm

solicitr wrote: Tolkien's dragons are some of his best characters.

On that, we definitely agree.

Reading the text. I "saw" Ancalagon and Scatha and remain in awe of them

but

"hearing"...

Glaurung's and Smaug's words took me to a higher level.

Cunning evil intelligence.

For me, there is nothing better..to love or to hate.

I so definitely agree..his dragons...his best characters.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby siddharth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:37 am

solicitr wrote:
The most obvious candidate is the Tale of Turin, since that exists in a reasonably self-contained novelistic form.

I agree. Turin Turambar is very much presentable as a movie. Another tale I can see is of Beren and Luthien. But the main problem would be all the things mentioned previous to those episodes. Obviously, many things would have to be shown to make the settings proper like who is Melkor and how he surrounded ME in darkness and then who was Hurin and about Thingol, Melian etc etc. I think the vast spectrum of things which "should be shown" is one of the main hindrances for The Sil to become a movie.

All in all, I think it'd take a huge amount of courage for anyone to step up to the task of creating a movie version of Sil.
Hey, but I think a serialized version would be more proper to it. If live-action not possible then animated. I'd give anything to see a faithful serialized adaptation of the Sil. And I think, others will too. ;)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 am

Hopefully there won't be a god-awful animated adaptation of this book.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby ngaur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Don't see how a dramtisation of the entire legend could be managed. Not unless you had a hundred hour long episodes to work with.

The Turin saga is possibe, even as just a movie. THough perhaps a little dark to capture peoples fancy.

I'd have to say Beren and Luthien is the most likely candidate. Hmm... unless it would off to much like a wonderfully cheesy 80:s phantasy flick.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodome » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 pm

I don't want The Sil to be made into movie(s). Jackson couldn't make three LotR movies perfectly(I love the movies, not being purist but movies are not of that level, if you got my meaning!). The Hobbit movies are a big disappointment as well.
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm

I would say more than likely no . It would be even more difficult to adapt the Silmarillion than The Hobbit and LOTR . I also think most non Tolkien fans would be very much confused by it .
Shadowman82
Citizen of Imladris

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 am

Shadowman82 wrote:I would say more than likely no . It would be even more difficult to adapt the Silmarillion than The Hobbit and LOTR . I also think most non Tolkien fans would be very much confused by it .

I think the question is much simpler than that: i.e. is there a demand for it to be made? Sadly, the answer is no, largely since where are no hobbits in it; likewise, it doesn't tie in with the Jackson movies in the slightest.
The Silmarillion isn't even an official Tolkien publication, but was simply compiled notes by Christopher Tolkien; JRR himself never really finished it, and in fact he reversed it in "Myths Transformed." For example, The Silmarillion begins with a flat world, with no explanation what it's sitting on; and the Downfall of Numenor causes Eru to make the world round.
In contrast, Myths Transformed tries to revoke that earlier idea, since it was never published (except for Tom Bombadil's statement about "before the seas were bent"); Tolkien believed that the Space Age would cause people to have difficulty with the flat-earth concept.
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:16 am

I think it is perfectly possible to create some form of franchise - Tales from the Silmarillion - in much the same way as Batman and X Men and The Planet of the Apes. Not everything has to be contained within just one movie or TV series. As to how well that is done, well I think we have to move beyond Jackson
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings