Who saw the movies in THEATERS recently???

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Who saw the movies in THEATERS recently???

Postby Elessär » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 am

Hi folks, I have been wondering if anyone here maybe did saw any of the LOTR movies in theaters recently? Well, I have, for one. In my state (São Paulo, in Brazil), they screened all the three films in December 2012, exactly three days before the first HOBBIT movie was released. Each consecutive day, in several theaters, a LOTR movie was shown. This would mean that FOTR was screened December 11th, TTT the next day, and finally ROTK on December 13th -- and they showed the extended versions, by the way (in digitalized form)! Awesome, isn't it? :D :D Sadly, I only could show up for TTT and ROTK. :(

So, I had the privilege of having the opportunity of watching the movies in the extended version on the theaters (even if I only actually watched two of them), but I was wondering if someone from another country, perhaps even overseas, had also this amazing opportunity??? If you did, share with me and tell a bit -- just a little bit -- about how it was, if you please. :)

For the record, if you did saw the movies in the theaters (anywhere in the world! :D ) from as recent as 2010, that certainly counts!!! :)
Elessär
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Who saw the movies in THEATERS recently???

Postby fattylumpkin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:07 pm

well Elessar, you asked who has seen the LOTRs in a theater recently.
I went to a ring marathon on the night of the 9th Dec ,the theater cut, not the EE, (we would have never survived, happily they did give out free coffee before ROTK). The film started at 10:30pm and finished at about 7:am. The theater was sold out and its a big place! The line to get in was about five blocks long! Mostly a very young audience, some were in costume, including a very lovely Legolas. Interesting, you could not take alcohol or glass bottles into the theater(they check your bags) but you could take your bow and arrows!! There were two entracts of about 40 minutes, spent by most either in the toilet lines or running down 3 floors to have a smoke outside. The tickets cost 21 euros
The Rex is a beautiful Art Deco cinema with a huge screen and it was a great pleasure to see those beautiful images again, after 10 years, on something larger than a tv!!. The crowd was lively and vocal and knew all the lines and in no way reverential, a show in their own way! (the films were in english with french subtitles) I very much enjoyed the experience!! inspite of the "boom-boom" noise that started during TTTs, Mt Doom? already? nope, just the disco/club under the cinema getting started!

A few theaters in Paris had showings of LOTRs running up to "the Hobbit" opening here the 14th Dec. The Rex also had the Paris premiere on the evening of 11 Dec. BRAZIL! HOW NICE!!!!
fattylumpkin
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Who saw the movies in THEATERS recently???

Postby Elessär » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:27 am

fattylumpkin wrote:well Elessar, you asked who has seen the LOTRs in a theater recently.

Yes, I did. :) And I asked for anyone who answered the thread to tell a bit about the experience.

As for what you told me, fattylumpkin,

Wow, this all sounds SO cool and interesting! You say the crowd was lively and vocal??? That's AWESOME!! :D My session was also sold out (some folks even had to sat on the floor, because seats run out), and there were customized people too (only two though -- and they were both young male adults), althrought I, who was not paying much attention (yes, I am like that) did not see if they were on my sessions. But they were there, walking all around the places of the mall (yes, it was a cinema/theater on a mall). I guess they were prepared for the Hobbit official release (which was going to happen on that theater at 11:55pm). The tickets were not expensive at all, at least compared to other 'normal' screenings of movies (to see Wreck-It Ralph in 3D+, I paid almost R$50,00 -- the equivalent of, what? I guess more or less 25 US dollars). The audience seemed to know a lot about the films, judging by comments during the screening. The theater was full, but weirdly some people came into the room wayyyyy too late, when TTT was almost half an hour in. :?

I would like for it to have shown closer to my city, however. I had to drive kilometers to get to São Paulo (the city, not the state) just to see this holymoly movie. :roll:

There was a break between TTT and ROTK. In total I spent about 12 hours on this trip. In other words, I took the day off entirely for LOTR. And I don't regret it. :lol:

In short, it wasn't all-around epic like your trip sounds, but it was way more than I had ever imagined (this was the first time I saw LOTR on the cinema, by thr way, having been too young at the time the movies were originally released, so this had an wholly additional/exciting novelty component for me).

By the way, to those who are lurking: don't hesitate in sharing your experience too (if you have done it, that is, you saw a LOTR movie on a theater ''recently''), please!!!! :D
Elessär
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien