Which Character did you missed the most in the films?Poll

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Which one of these you missed the most in PJ's LOTR?

Erkenbrandt
No votes
Imrahil
11%
Beregond
7%
Tom Bombadill and Goldberry
33%
Glorfindel
15%
Barrow-wights
7%
The Grey Company
15%
Ghan-buri-Ghan
No votes
Quick beam
7%
Any other
4%

Total votes : 27

Postby siddharth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 pm

So here's another poll from me. :))
Due to cutting down, several of our beloved characters were left out. Well, which of these did you wanted to see the most in the movies but could'nt ?

PS: Ghan buri ghan is there in TTT but his character was drastically changed. So I am putting him here. Many of you would ask why not then Faramir.
If Put him there, the poll would be too one-sided, IMO.
I may have forgotten someone.
It's been a while since I last read it. So mention them in your post.

I am picking the grey company, though Imrahil was really close. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Which Character did you missed the most in the films?Pol

Postby Ladykat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

I was curious to see what PJ would do with Bombadil and Goldberry.

What he did was ignore them. :?

Ah well, can't have everything. I knew he couldn't use everything in the books.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby siddharth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Ladykat wrote:I was curious to see what PJ would do with Bombadil and Goldberry.

LK

I think of it like this way:
When Tolkien started FOTR, it was to be a bit similar in tone with TH. So, Tom Bombadil sort of lightened the story.
But in the films, PJ had already started LOTR as darker story than Tolkien wrote. So in his opinion I think, Tom Bombadil would have been inappropriate to his movie's tone. Though he could have been included in the EEs IMHO. :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby mrunderhill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I can honestly say I missed all of them, though I agree that some had to be cut for the sake of time. However, in the context of the film, I missed Imrahil the most. Imrahil and Faramir(Tolkien's) Faramir gave us a look at what Gondor was like during it's height. It made you want Gondor to survive and wish for it to return to it's glory.
mrunderhill
Citizen of Imladris

Postby andurilwest » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 am

In no particular order:

- The Rangers of the North -- is Aragorn the last of the kind?

- Beregord and Beregond Jr. and the nurse -- we have entirely no reason to care about Gondor, especially when its leader is off his rocker, the populace have no face. The soldiers might as well be Warcraft units.

- Ghan-buri-ghan and the people from south Gondor -- we lose the non-European-looking good guys.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Secretnimbus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:42 am

I think Bombadil was cut because they were trying to keep the first film as 'Ring' centric as possible. This basically meant showing Frodo moving forwards with it whereas seeing Tom was a huge trip sideways in terms of story telling. They do argue that the Hobbits could have gone and seen Tom on the way to Bree but they just didn't show it in the films!!
Secretnimbus
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gungnir » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 am

Secretnimbus wrote:I think Bombadil was cut because they were trying to keep the first film as 'Ring' centric as possible. This basically meant showing Frodo moving forwards with it whereas seeing Tom was a huge trip sideways in terms of story telling. They do argue that the Hobbits could have gone and seen Tom on the way to Bree but they just didn't show it in the films!!

I think that Bombadil was missed out for another reason on top of the fact he does nothing to advance the narrative: he would have been very difficult (IMO impossible) to depict faithfully on screen without appearing ridiculous.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Melwa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Beregond and Imrahil are pretty close in my head, but because no one had voted for Beregond yet, I did. The others I can see being cut out to move the story along, but Imrahil and Beregond personally influence main events so much! Imrahil keeps the people of Minas Tirith fighting (along with Gandalf), and then rescues Eowyn from the battlefield. Beregond gives us insight into Pippin, Faramir, Minas Tirith, and Gondor in general, besides keeping Denethor from murdering Faramir while Pippin was gone to get help.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:03 am

I don't think any of the above were essential (the Barrow-wight sequence could have been good, but I understand there was no time for it); but I picked Quickbeam because PJ so shamefully misportrayed* and shortchanged the Ents, and QB would have force (one hopes) a better rendering of the Ents overall.

*Not the visual portrayal, which was acceptable, but rather the character portrayal of Treebeard as a dimwitted old bore, so stupid he has to tricked by Pippin (of all people!) into noticing several years' worth of clear-cutting in his own bloody forest! The Ent-moot's "No" decision was one of the worst of PJ's plot-crimes, right up there with "Go home Sam" and "Arwen is dying."
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

solicitr wrote: The Ent-moot's "No" decision was one of the worst of PJ's plot-crimes, right up there with "Go home Sam" and "Arwen is dying."

What about "Faramir sends him a mighty gift"?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

siddharth wrote:
solicitr wrote: The Ent-moot's "No" decision was one of the worst of PJ's plot-crimes, right up there with "Go home Sam" and "Arwen is dying."

What about "Faramir sends him a mighty gift"?

Oh, yeah, the Osgiliation was pretty horrible too- not least Frodo trying to give the Ring to a passing Nazgul. Filmamir is worth an indignant essay all by himself (kin yew say, "Going all Gitmo on Gollum's a$$?").
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Hey sid.

Of your choices, I chose the Barrow-wights.

I enjoyed that part of the text very much finding it very chilling and scary Very well written, IMHO.

I also want to say I like the reference to Filmamir. :lol:

Going all Gitmo on Gollum's a$$. :rofl:

=======

Also from your list I am very fond of

Imrahil , Glorfindel and Quick beam

I will think on your list more and see if I come up with someone I think worthy who is not listed. :wink: and say why.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby siddharth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 am

*Bump*

Hoping a few more votes get added.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:02 am

I voted Tom because I can't really remember what other characters were in the books! The fact I remembered Tom shows that he had personality enough in my mind. :) As people have said, his addition might have slowed things down a bit for the film. I just can't remember well enough, though! Must re-read the books this year.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:40 pm

I voted for Tom and Goldberry, but Gan-buri-gan would have been fun, too.

I know why Tom and Goldberry were left out, and I agree with it, but it is still too bad.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby krawler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I missed the fox most of all.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Simon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:14 am

Ladykat wrote:I was curious to see what PJ would do with Bombadil and Goldberry.

LK

I was sort of expecting that since he`s a bit of a side track even in the books. The only character missing that seems to have any real consequence, plot wise, seem to be the barrow wights, since the hobbits found their weapons there. Even the dagger that cut through the Lich King`s armor came from there.
Simon
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Simon wrote:

LK

I was sort of expecting that since he`s a bit of a side track even in the books. The only character missing that seems to have any real consequence, plot wise, seem to be the barrow wights, since the hobbits found their weapons there. Even the dagger that cut through the Lich King`s armor came from there.

I agree with that. But I think the Grey Company is an essential element as well.
It clearly seems like Aragorn is the lone surviving ranger with the grey-company missing. People alien to the books could get this misconception.

And I am actually quite glad that Tom and Goldberry were left out. It seems impossible to me to depict his character visually without making him look like a nonsensical idiot. That would have been an outrage if done. A bad presentation is worse than none at all, something PJ forgot while making Filmamir. ;)

Sometimes character-depths are best percieved when read and not seen. And I guess it is good to leave a few surprises for those who read the books after the films ...... as was the case with me. :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm

andurilwest wrote:In no particular order:

- Beregord and Beregond Jr. and the nurse -- we have entirely no reason to care about Gondor, especially when its leader is off his rocker, the populace have no face. The soldiers might as well be Warcraft units.

I voted for the Barrow Wights due to as FT said, a very chilling and well written part of FoTR.

That said, you make a very great point IMHO andurilwest. There was not much to like about Minas Tirith. Crazy leader, a apathetic populace, leaderless defenses, etc.
Why it took Gandalf wacking Denethor on the head and shouting "Fight!" was beyond comprehension.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby songsfromthewood » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 am

Another vote for Tom Bombadil! I understand why they left him out of the movie, but he could have made an especially charming on-screen character if they found the right actor.
songsfromthewood

Postby Forlong » Sun May 12, 2013 12:51 am

I probably missed all the fiefdoms arriving at Minas tirith.
Last edited by Forlong on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forlong

Postby Frodome » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:46 pm

I missed almost all the characters, but I chose Glorfindel. His absence changed the scene completely. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are also the characters I wish were in the movies.
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien