I have a question about the four main actors...

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

I have a question about the four main actors...

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 pm

who played the hobbits. My mom and I were wondering how they made them look shorter than they are, since hobbits aren't very tall and shorter than dwarves. I'm guessing it's camera angles? Does anyone know how they did that
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Re: I have a question about the four main actors...

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello!

They used camera angles and other visual tricks (props that were smaller on one end then the other like the table in Bag end) "depth" (putting them behind taller actors) Limiting their time in frame with other taller characters, and good ol' "size doubles"
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Re: I have a question about the four main actors...

Postby siddharth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 am

Hey there, Rachel! :D

The hobbits needed to appear about three to four feet tall - tiny compared with the seven-foot Gandalf. This was more usually done using forced perspective, placing Ian McKellen (Gandalf) consistently closer to the camera than Elijah Wood in order to trick the eye into thinking McKellen is towering.

Some shots in the Bag End are different in that they used two different sets of Bag End. They made a huge Bag End interior than the normal, ad a smaller one. And the hobbits acted in the big house, to make them appear small and Gandalf acted in the smaller one to appear big. Then the sequences were "combined".

In order to make "forced perspective" a bit more interesting, the filmmakers devised a new system consisting of a pulley and a platform. When the camera moved (which is normally impossible as the forced perspective would become obvious) the actor also moved, and the perspective (7-foot Gandalf - 4-foot hobbits) would always be okay.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien