predict the box office

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: predict the box office

Postby crispycreme » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 am

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:I think that the non-North America total will likely be at least $700 million, though I agree with your NA estimate, and that the total will likely fall just short of $1 billion.

Perhaps, it's harder to guesstimate 60 countries than it is 1 (well, 2... sorry Canada...) . It does seem though that more countries get their opening night closer to the premiere date than they used to (or am I just imagining that? I seem to recall LOTR premieres happening as late as January) , and if so the numbers may be more packed towards the beginning of the run than they would've been in times past.
crispycreme
Mariner

Postby darthgandalf99 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 pm

siddharth wrote:
darthgandalf99 wrote:Well I only compared the North American grosses because it's impossible to compare the international grosses like for like, as the Hobbit is grossing millions in new markets like Peru, Vietnam, Thailand, Ecuador, even China, that simply didn't exist when LOTR was released.

Well, true. But I think in this case, comparing the European gross would be better? :)

It would be interesting to compare European grosses, unfortunately I've never seen Euro-specific figures for any movie. A shame for those of us who find interest in such things :)
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

If you click on the "foreign" button for a particular film at Box Office Mojo it gives you the breakdown by country. For instance, for AUJ:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... hobbit.htm

That gives you the ability to compare the box office of most major European countries.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby darthgandalf99 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:03 pm

I did not know that feature existed, very useful. I would never have guessed all that data was contained in the Foreign tab.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Glad I could help!
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby crispycreme » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:57 am

DoS is now tracking almost dollar to dollar with King Kong, which made an additional six mil beyond last weekend. So those who predicted 260 should feel pretty sm(a)ug. DoS is also likely to be pulled around the same time as KK so if you want to see it a final time embiggened then you should do it soon.

(edited to use the correct acronym :woah: )
crispycreme
Mariner

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:21 am

Pretty sure you mean DoS, not AUJ. It is also worth noting that DoS has already made more than $300 million than King Kong, worldwide.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby crispycreme » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 am

Fixed. :embarrased:

I realize DoS will make more money worldwide. I was specifically referring to North American sales and North American movie goers. I just found it interesting how closely the two movies are paralleling each other during the latter halves of each film's runs.
crispycreme
Mariner

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien