Meet Smaug

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Meet Smaug

Postby siddharth » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:52 pm

siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Meet Smaug

Postby MaxPower » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:32 pm

MaxPower
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:25 pm

After being underwhelmed a bit on first glance, I actually like this look! Much better than the T-Rex in the trailers.
And he is long and sinewy and snake-like, similar to what Tolkien had in his mind. The only change I would have done is perhaps increase the snout's length a little.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 am

Not bad at all. As usual, the WETA staff tend to adhere to a "Tolkien feel" pretty well (except for Azog, about whom the less said the better)
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Telemachos » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm diggin' the look, though of course the real test will be when he speaks.
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby MaxPower » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:52 pm

At the L.A. premiere, Richard Armitage referred to Smaug as a 'quadruped'. I don't know if it's been a big issue here, but elsewhere there's been some angst over the possibility that movie-Smaug might have only two legs. So...put that one to bed
MaxPower
Shield Bearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:34 am

It was blindingly obvious even from the glimpse we had of Smaug in TH:AUJ, that he has four legs. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to pay an urgent visit to an optician.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 am

Gungnir wrote:It was blindingly
obvious even from the glimpse we had of Smaug in TH:AUJ, that he has
four legs. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to pay an urgent visit to
an optician.

There was much speculation that after AUJ PjJ and co had revised Smaug's design to make him a biped. Actually it seemed pretty much confirmed till RA revealed that.
I'm still cautious about what he said though because actors seldom know what goes in post production and we dont know if RA has indeed seen it yet.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:41 am

siddharth wrote:
Gungnir wrote:It was blindingly
obvious even from the glimpse we had of Smaug in TH:AUJ, that he has
four legs. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to pay an urgent visit to
an optician.

There was much speculation that after AUJ PjJ and co had revised Smaug's design to make him a biped. Actually it seemed pretty much confirmed till RA revealed that.
I'm still cautious about what he said though because actors seldom know what goes in post production and we dont know if RA has indeed seen it yet.

True enough- for quite a long time I'm sure Viggo honestly believed he had fought Sauron.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 am

solicitr wrote:True enough- for quite a long time I'm sure Viggo honestly believed he had fought Sauron.

It's nothing new -Dave Prowse only found out that Vader was Luke's father when he watched the premiere of The Empire Strikes Back.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby solicitr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Gungnir wrote:
solicitr wrote:True enough- for quite a long time I'm sure Viggo honestly believed he had fought Sauron.

It's nothing new -Dave Prowse only found out that Vader was Luke's father when he watched the premiere of The Empire Strikes Back.

Yep, although that was a slightly different case, since Lucas wasn't changing his mind after the fact but rather pulling a cloak around the Biggest Secret in Movie History, planned from the outset.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

solicitr wrote:
Gungnir wrote:

Yep, although that was a slightly different case, since Lucas wasn't changing his mind after the fact but rather pulling a cloak around the Biggest Secret in Movie History, planned from the outset.

Though it would have ruined the film, Aragorn fighting Sauron would have been more 'canon' I think. Because for once, it would have cleared the misconception of Sauron being a giant eye.

Besides, there is no strong evidence till now that tells us if PJ ever planned Smaug to be biped.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Siberian » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 pm

siddharth wrote:Though it would have ruined the film, Aragorn fighting Sauron would have been more 'canon' I think. Because for once, it would have cleared the misconception of Sauron being a giant eye.

It certainly wouldn't have been the worst invention in the movies. I mean, the viewers already saw Sauron fighting Aragorn's ancestors Isildur and Elendil so they were probably expecting the "hero" fight the boss villain at the end just like in any action adventure movie.
Siberian
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Siberian wrote:
siddharth wrote:Though it would have ruined the film, Aragorn fighting Sauron would have been more 'canon' I think. Because for once, it would have cleared the misconception of Sauron being a giant eye.

It certainly wouldn't have been the worst invention in the movies. I mean, the viewers already saw Sauron fighting Aragorn's ancestors Isildur and Elendil so they were probably expecting the "hero" fight the boss villain at the end just like in any action adventure movie.

Except, perhaps many non-readers thought after Sauron lost at the battle of Dagorlad he lost his "human" form and existed as a Giant Eye.
Though I still say, the RotK climax is perfect in itself.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:44 pm

siddharth wrote:
Though it would have ruined the film, Aragorn fighting Sauron would have been more 'canon' I think. Because for once, it would have cleared the misconception of Sauron being a giant eye.

I.Will. Not.Repeat.what.I.have. said. before. about. Aragorn. fighting. Sauron.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Confirmed by people on imdb( claiming to have seen the film) that Smaug is a biped- wyvern.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Do they mean wings instead of "arms?"
I would be disappointed, then. I have had a clear impression of "legs" and less important "arms" (bigger than a T-Rex's) and wings, for years.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 pm

portia wrote:Do they mean
wings instead of "arms?"

Well, sort of. He has wings but can fold them to use them as arms while walking, like any wyvern. Like that Norwegian Horntail from Harry Potter 4.

I would be disappointed, then. I have had a clear impression of "legs"
and less important "arms" (bigger than a T-Rex's) and wings, for years.

You mean T-Rex type with wings? Interesting. I always have thought of 4 more or less equal limbs with wings.

And don't get disappointed yet. Everyone's saying Smaug's CGI is the most amazing thing since Gollum's first appearance in TTT and is perhaps the best dragon to hit the big screen. Frankly, I think with the level of praise it is getting. If Gravity had not been released this year, DOS would have been a sure winner for the visual effects Oscar.

I had a very different image of Smaug, but I am definite I will love this too!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby BagginsGirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't mean to sound naive about what's going in with Smaug, but other then the plane and the brief glimpse of him in the trailer has anyone seen a full picture of him? Cause he looks awesome from the little I've seen, just amazing:) But I'd love, just love, to see a full body picture of Smaug!! I was super excited to see him on the plane though! He looks so cool:) I was really impressed with that :)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 am

I had in mind front legs bigger than a T-rex's but smaller than the hind legs, naturally. Useful for grabbing, piling up gold, etc. BIG, of course and more of an "animal" than many Dragon images. Some current Dragons look like one's next door neighbor with a hangover. That would not be good. The picture on the airplane looks good, as far as it shows.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby solicitr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Of all the infidelities to get upset over, this one seems pretty de minimis-- . I think a solid case can be made that Tolkien intended Smaug to have four legs (especially since he drew him that way, and Bard hit him "where the foreleg was flung wide"), but seriously!
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Remind me again, do balrogs have wings? :) :) :)
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 am

Queen_Beruthiel wrote:Remind me again, do balrogs have wings? :) :) :)

No, they do not. =:)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby BagginsGirl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 pm

siddharth wrote:
Queen_Beruthiel wrote:Remind me again, do balrogs have wings? :) :) :)

No, they do not. =:)

I was fairly certain they do. :lol:

Joke!!!! :) I just had to.....
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby siddharth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:10 am

Having finally seen him, just an absolute WOW. What a brilliant design. And he looks far more 'sinewy' than what I'd ever hoped.

And that Smaug all covered in liquid gold was perhaps the best visual in the whole film.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Smaug213 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:19 am

Yes, Smaug is a wyvern. This can clearly be seen in The Hobbit: AUJ Extended Edition. However I still have high hopes and from what I have heard he is the highlight of the film. I'm going to see this today and I have a feeling I am going to love this scene :wink: .
Smaug213
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Smaug213 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:05 pm

It was awesome! Smaug looks even cooler than he did in the trailers :D ! Just the sight of Smaug rampaging through Erebor beats every other movie based on Tolkien that Peter Jackson has ever made :D ! Here is a picture of the new design of Smaug :) :
Smaug213
Petitioner to the Council

Postby siddharth » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 am

I think this belongs here:

Smaug: Making-of Featurette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvr7DSEHcic

Pretty interesting!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien