Repeat-Viewings anyone?

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: Repeat-Viewings anyone?

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am

To return to the topic ... :wink:

I've now seen DoS three times.

I will likely not see it again in the cinema ... but you never know. :)

I really like it. :) There are also lots of things in it I could very well do without. :lol: Far too much padding of the story. Far too many damn Orcs. Far too many silly, physics-defying battles with Orcs, fight sequences I've seen over and over and over again in any recent blockbuster film you care to name ... it gets boring.

Too little Bilbo! :angry:

There are pluses, though, including the sheer beauty of the film, the excellence of the CGI and the overall immersiveness of the experience.

The Hobbit films are NOT the emotional experience that the LotR films were for me. I saw each one about 10 times at the cinema!

There are also things in the LotR films that annoy me more (I suspect because I have more emotional investment in LotR). Which is why the PJ-isms in DoS really don't bother me that much.

Spoiler policy: I read pretty much every spoiler for the LotR films and am not sorry I did. 8) I had to know what PJ would do to my favourite book. :P And, with THAT cast, I would have gone to see his LotR no matter what. :)
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien