Ori-Fili-Kili

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Ori-Fili-Kili

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 am

I'm not really a purist, as such, but some things do rankle.

Why, in the movie, is Ori the youngest dwarf, as I'm virtually certain that he isn't in the book (which I'm currently re-reading, and so far no mention of Ori being the youngest). I know he's the younger than Dori and Nori, but is there any point to this change from canon?

And I know I'm nit-picking, but it seems a senseless deviation to me - unless I've got it wrong?
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Re: Ori-Fili-Kili

Postby ngaur » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 pm

When is he stated to be this in the movie?
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby jotnar » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:07 pm

When the Goblin King is threatening torture to the dwarves and says, "Start with the youngest", the camera focuses on Ori's reaction, thus by implication, Ori is the youngest.

He certainly looks it in this picture :P Image
jotnar
Shield Bearer

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:32 pm

jotnar wrote:When the Goblin King is threatening torture to the dwarves and says, "Start with the youngest", the camera focuses on Ori's reaction, thus by implication, Ori is the youngest.

He certainly looks it in this picture :P Image

It was also in Empire's Hobbit special, last year.

It just seems so pointless...change for something constructive is one thing, but this just seems ridiculous.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby ngaur » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

When the Goblin King is threatening torture to the dwarves and says, "Start with the youngest", the camera focuses on Ori's reaction, thus by implication, Ori is the youngest.

Why is that the implication, and not that Ori is shocked on behalf of the younger ones?

Maybe there something in the reaction'? I don't remember the scene.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Sador_Labadal » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Sador_Labadal
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 pm

ngaur wrote:
jotnar wrote:When the Goblin King is threatening torture to the dwarves and says, "Start with the youngest", the camera focuses on Ori's reaction, thus by implication, Ori is the youngest.

Why is that the implication, and not that Ori is shocked on behalf of the younger ones?

Maybe there something in the reaction'? I don't remember the scene.

From what I can recall (I saw the film again last week) is that Ori does look rather dismayed, and I took it to mean that he thought the Goblin King meant him. That's usually how camera cuts work, isn't it?
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Denethor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:39 pm

The book itself is contradictory on this point. Fili is described as the youngest of the company (by Thorin himself, IIRC), whereas in the LOTR appendices, Kili is younger.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:48 am

In Empire, Adam Brown describes Ori as being the equivalent of seventeen years old. (Should have gone to Specsavers). Whilst Fili and Kili are twenty-five. (Both of them?)
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:17 am

My guess is that they chose the actors, then designed the wigs and when the two were combined they found Adam Brown's Ori looks much more younger (and cuter according to some) than either Fili or Kili. So they went with that.
Beorn's appearance - now that is a change made for the sake if changes.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien