Peter Jackson's Balrog wings

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Peter Jackson's Balrog wings

Postby raf_c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:39 pm

For some reason I've always had the impression that PJ's Balrog had proper bat wings, but while rewatching LOTR 2 a few days ago, I noticed that the Balrog didn't actually have any membrane/skin on those wings which means they were actually useless for flight (though whether it could fly is a separate discussion altogether).

For example, here he is falling down after being shanked by Gandalf:

Now the question is, did it have the same kind of wings in LOTR 1? I tried watching the Balrog segments there, but I couldn't determine whether or not its wings had membrane because it was too dark. I'm basically trying to figure out whether PJ's digital people made a mistake and forgot to add the membrane in LOTR 2.
raf_c
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Peter Jackson's Balrog wings

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:18 pm

I would say no the Balrog in Fellowship doesn't have membranes on it's wings either .

http://youtu.be/ywZ5uo_3Y_A

It seems to have sort of shadowy air in the wings which is actually pretty much what Tolkien describes .
Shadowman82
Citizen of Imladris

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:39 am

Shadowman82 wrote:I would say no the Balrog in Fellowship doesn't have membranes on it's wings either .

http://youtu.be/ywZ5uo_3Y_A

It seems to have sort of shadowy air in the wings which is actually pretty much what Tolkien describes .

Perhaps they got busted off when they hit that rock precipice during the long fall, which would be PJ's explanation why it couldn't fly away.
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby Shadowman82 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Well if a Balrog could fly then it doesn't seem to be doing so in the novel either . It only ever flies in the Bakshi film , and even there only for a short while , it can't even fly over Gandalf there . We do seem to get a suggestion that they can in fact travel really quickly somehow . How else would they have come to Morgoth's aid so quickly against Ungoliant .
Shadowman82
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Adaminth The Grey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Whether Balrogs have wings or not seems to remain an open question... Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balrog
Adaminth The Grey
Shield Bearer

Postby raf_c » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Adaminth The Grey wrote:Whether Balrogs have wings or not seems to remain an open question... Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balrog

I know, I was talking specifically about Peter Jackson's version of the Balrog, not the one in the book.

I rewatched LOTR 1 Balrog sequence and although the wings are obscured by shadow and flame, I can say with some certainty that it never had any membranes on those wings to begin with. It's only in LOTR 2 that this becomes obvious and clearer to see. With that said, I guess Peter Jackson's Balrog has literal wings with shadow instead of membrane, and is probably incapable of flight.
raf_c
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Yes I don't think the PJ Balrog could fly either . Only the Bakshi one could , but I suspect even that one was too heavy to fly any great distances or keep itself from falling down when Gandalf smashed the bridge .

Still if a Balrog could only walk it is a mystery how they could come to Morgoth's aid so quickly .
Shadowman82
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:35 am

Disappointed after reading that thread title.
I pictured a flying PJ! =:)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings