Question/Opinion: Frodo's late arrival at Bilbo's house

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Question/Opinion: Frodo's late arrival at Bilbo's house

Postby ElKlotz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:26 am

Hey guys,
I've watched the LOTR trilogy a lot of times, but never had this question before. But the last time I watched TFotR I had to think about it: Why does Frodo arrive so much later at Bilbo's house after he "disappeared" at his birthday speech. I understand that it is important for the story but I find that it is not logical, while even Gandalf is there before Bilbo comes back. I hope someone can enlighten me or has the same opinion as I do. Sorry for the mistakes, I am no native speaker of the English language.
ElKlotz
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Question/Opinion: Frodo's late arrival at Bilbo's house

Postby john Vogel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:21 pm

He may not have realized that Bilbo was at bag end. Bilbo just disappeared. The first thing I would think was "where did he go? He should be right here!" And I'd look around the party.

Plus... There would be a commotion at the party at that point that would probably delay Frodo for a bit. Bilbo could have just immediately gone to Bag End. Gandalf would have suspected and would probably have left the party right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
john Vogel
Petitioner to the Council

Postby lotrjw » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:15 am

I'm of the belief Gandalf may even be able to see people who ware the ring, 2 reasons, 1st he came from the undying lands and that alone in the book meant you were in both the ring world and the normal world at the same time. 2nd he has one of the elven rings. So for Gandalf I think he could see Bilbo all the time.

As for Frodo it's as the other poster said, he looked round for Bilbo at the party didn't find him so later tried at Bag End.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby BillBo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 am

When Bilbo disappeared, Frodo would have had to assume the roll of host at the party; after all, it was his birthday party as well as Bilbo's. It would take some time for him to settle his guests and to resume "filling in the corners". It would have been very impolite to abandon everyone. Hobbits, particularly rich, respectable hobbits, had a very strict code of behaviour.

BillBo
Rider of the Mark

Postby lotrjw » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:11 am

BillBo wrote:When Bilbo disappeared, Frodo would have had to assume the roll of host at the party; after all, it was his birthday party as well as Bilbo's. It would take some time for him to settle his guests and to resume "filling in the corners". It would have been very impolite to abandon everyone. Hobbits, particularly rich, respectable hobbits, had a very strict code of behaviour.

You are right there!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings