names

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

names

Postby redrobot » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:58 pm

i take it there's a list somewhere of all the names in LOTR and the possible etymolygies? eg. mordor = murder / morir = mourir Fr. to die / etc etc many similarities with JK rowling in this respect.
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Re: names

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:07 am

The etymologies are from Tolkien's own mind. He thought up his own languages, and most, if not all, of the similarities to any modern language are merely coincidence. He did draw inspiration from Old Norse, Icelandic, and Old English, but everything is his own. So no, nothing like JK Rowling. Tolkien was a linguist and in fact the stories he wrote were to create a world for the language he created. Entire books have been written about Tolkien's languages. The series, History of Middle-earth goes through the creation of the stories and includes notes on the word creation that Tolkien did.
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby redrobot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:30 am

the malayan emergency (a small far east war in which britain fought communists) took place 1950-60 and a part of the territory is called legoland (yes). is this where T got the name legolas? a tribute to the british soldiers? i still believe that mordor is supposed to suggest murder and that moria, the dwarfish massacre site, is suspiciously close to mourir (to die).

it's difficult to deny T's strident rejection of rabbit influence except to say that authors are not always the best judges of their work. so hobbits still = half rabbits / half country folk for me.

strange to read T describing hobbits as bourgeois. imagined the old prof as being less politically savvy. not sure how you can have bourgeois people pulling pigs thro the street on the end of a piece of rope or dancing drunk on tables but there you go.
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:14 am

Well, you can believe that the origins of the words, but it won't be right. As I said, Tolkien made up his entire language. It is what he did for fun. And if you're just going to dismiss everything that Tolkien himself said about the origins of things that he wrote, then go for it. But you're not going to convince everyone else. We actually believe that he knew what he was doing and saying.

I suggest if you are actually interested in the origin of the words and names in Tolkien's books, then check out those books that I mentioned. The truth is much more interesting than what you propose.

For instance, the name "Legolas" was thought up long before the war you speak of (which by the way, wasn't just British forces, but forces also from the Commonwealth, fighting).
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Anriel Mendereth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 am

I think somewhere online there is a document entitled "Elements of Quenya and Sindarin names" that might help you. I downloaded it years ago to help me make up names for my own fantasy scribblings, so I'm not sure where you would find it now, but it breaks the elements of the names down and gives those meanings. :)
Anriel Mendereth
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings