new scripts

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

new scripts

Postby redrobot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:24 am

instead of hand wringing about the lack of new tolkien material why havent new scripts been commissioned? what happens to frodo and bilbo after setting sail? what about gimley? there are a 101 possibilities. has the tolkien estate put a block on it or is hollywood just being slow?
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Re: new scripts

Postby heliona » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:28 am

Yes, they would infringe on copyright (being fanfiction - I'm not sure how Peter Jackson and company got away with inventing Tauriel, to be honest), and the Tolkien Estate would come down on them like a tonne of bricks. Also, we know what happened to Gimli just after the main story finished, and we can surmise what happened to Bilbo and Frodo after they left Middle-earth (if you've read The Silmarillion which tells you about Valinor). There are bits and pieces in the appendices of the book Lord of the Rings.

If anyone wants more Middle-earth, then there is a vast amount of published material to read.
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby redrobot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:58 am

you seem fairly sure of how the estate wd react. if a script was written, shown to jackson who liked it enough to say 'i want to make another blockbuster film out of this' wd the estate say no to all that cash? difficult to believe. if i cd concentrate enough to pen more than a forum post i'd write it myself.
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I am absolutely sure because the Tolkien Estate has already shown to sue anyone who looks like they might infringe on their copyright. The Tolkien Estate is there to protect the copyright, not to make money. Christopher Tolkien is in charge of it and won't sell any more rights. The only reason the films got made is because Tolkien himself sold the film rights before he died.
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby redrobot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 am

The Tolkien Estate is there to protect the copyright, not to make money

are you sure about that? sounds very unlikely.
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:30 am

Let's put it this way.
If the Estate had no issues with more films and everything was green-lit, the next middle-earth movies would already be in production phase at the very least.

And here's a quote from Christopher Tolkien, the current Estate head:

"They gutted the book, making an action movie for 15-25 year olds. And it seems that The Hobbit will be of the same ilk. Tolkien became...devoured by his popularity and absorbed by the absurdity of the time. The gap widened between the beauty, the seriousness of the work, and what it has become is beyond me. This level of marketing reduces to nothing the aesthetic and philosophical significance of this work."
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby redrobot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:26 am

christopher tolkiens reasoning is completely different from the reason given above which was 'to protect copyright'. if he was approached by someone who wd do justice to JRRT he retains the option to say yes and cash in.
redrobot
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings