Love the LOTR movies, but not the books. Am I still a fan?

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Love the LOTR movies, but not the books. Am I still a fan?

Postby iwishiwereanelf » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:46 pm

I consider myself a big fan of LOTR. I've seen the movies (extended editions) about 20 times and love talking to others about the themes, character arcs, and metaphors of LOTR. The thing is, I haven't been able to get through the books - I only read a third of the Fellowship and stopped because I just couldn't into it. I got into an argument the other day with someone who told me I couldn't consider myself a fan without having read the books. What are people's thoughts on this?
iwishiwereanelf
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Love the LOTR movies, but not the books. Am I still a fa

Postby Captain Boromir » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:22 am

I believe you can be. I don't see how anyone can say you are not a fan because of that so I don't see a problem. I discovered Lord Of The Rings because of the movies so.
Captain Boromir
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arassuil » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 pm

You're not a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's tale 'Lord of the Rings, just a fan of P.J.'s' interpretation of J.R.R. Tolkien's tale 'Lord of the Rings.
I't like being a fan of a fan-fic but not a fan of the original story. :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby solicitr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:49 pm

The problem is, it's awfully hard to "talk to others about the themes, character arcs, and metaphors of LOTR" when you haven't read them, at least not in the far deeper renderings JRRT was able to give them in prose-- not to mention being misled by some of PJ's wholesale and usually unperceptive changes to matters of significance.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings