Battle of the Hornburg

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Battle of the Hornburg

Postby Meres » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:15 pm

When Théoden and Aragorn led a vicious cavalry charge out of the keep, there were only few soldiers. Did most of them die before retreating into the keep? Just before retreat into the keep there were soldiers everywhere but suddenly only few.
Meres
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Battle of the Hornburg

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:34 pm

To be honest, I'd have to have another look at the film. I've seen it many times, but not recently. As I recall, the rampart down which Theoden, Aragorn, & company ride is not very wide. A war horse, fully accoutered and mounted by an equally fully armored rider, takes up a bit of space, so I'm not sure how many more soldiers could reasonably have followed at once.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Re: Battle of the Hornburg

Postby Denethor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:35 am

This is the point at which Théoden has his "it's over" moment - the implication being that very few remain. The subsequent charge is indeed down a very narrow rampart.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings