LOTR 15 Years Later

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

LOTR 15 Years Later

Postby Lysandros » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:01 am

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/23/1405 ... nniversary

We've had a lot of time to ruminate on the films and can't say I agree with the author that these "were great films." But certainly he is correct that they broke a lot of ground and cast a long shadow over subsequent fantasy and even historical movies and tv. It's interesting to see how firmly entrenched they are in the media landscape. Given the meteoric success of the Marvel Film Universe and now the Star Wars 2.0 franchise, I continue to wonder how long it will be before we start getting similar JRRT-themed ventures. (I suspect it will be after Christopher passes since he is so cranky about the movies). If they can keep Jackson Inc. away from them, I'd be pretty excited to see what a good writing team could do.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Re: LOTR 15 Years Later

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 pm

Personally, I cannot separate the experience of the movies from the experience of TORC. They are all tied up together in my mind. TORC was a bit of a refuge, allowing me to come into a community at a time when I was pretty much flapping in the breeze, though still a wife, mother of 5, and employee. I was singularly alone. Then came TORC, then came the movies.

Yet, I see the point of this article. Would anyone have taken on Harry Potter if New Line hadn't had such tremendous success with LOTR?
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Denethor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:22 am

I watched the three of them over the Christmas period - my first such re-watch for about seven years. My impression is that apart from some glaring faults like Denethor, they are fundamentally good films. Even ROTK, which I hated when it first came out, holds up well - Fellowship is the best, of course, and the mis-steps multiply as the trilogy goes on, but it never hits trainwreck.

I think the biggest contribution the Jackson films made is that along with Harry Potter, they made fantasy mainstream. Without the LOTR films, there would be no Game of Thrones.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 am

Would anyone have taken on Harry Potter if New Line hadn't had such tremendous success with LOTR?

Harry Potter I was released at the same time as FR and the production green-light obviously was made long before LR had its boffo boxoffice. The series was the most successful series of books (juvenile or adult) in history when not adjusted for inflation, and therefore the hottest literary property in existence when Warner bought the rights; Steven Spielberg commented in 1999 that "It's like shooting ducks in a barrel. It's just a slam dunk. It's just like withdrawing a billion dollars and putting it into your personal bank accounts."
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby andurilwest » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Well I haven't watched them in a long time. Skipped the Hobbit ones too. I don't really think about them anymore.

Besides, the new extremely disappointing Star Wars sequel put Jackson and company's jolly changes in perspective. Make Denethor a crazy comet, puff up the Hobbit, I don't care anymore. Star Wars has it worse. There's always something worse. Everyone lapped it up like they did for PJ's LOTR and Hobbit, but that is the way of the world.

andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 am

We still watch them regularly, work our way through the extended versions maybe once or twice a year. And I have no compunction in saying that they are great films. Unlike the dismal Hobbit films which manage to be in equal parts dull and overblown
Gungnir
Mariner

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings