environmentalism + LOTR

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

environmentalism + LOTR

Postby ctk » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:26 pm

So I realize I'm new to these forums, but I've spent a lot of time researching and analyzing the role of nature in the LOTR films. I made a vid here https://youtu.be/f5Wc6jfVDpQ looking at how the films use natural imagery to establish the narrative binary between good and evil throughout the trilogy. I was wondering what you all think. Maybe environmentalism is too strong of a word, but I think that the implementation of nature throughout the movie plays a crucial role in emphasizing the virtue of good and evil. Thoughts? (also if this comes across as self-promotion I'm sorry, it's not meant to be, I just feel like it's good to get some solid feedback about my ideas from some LOTR fans).
ctk
Petitioner to the Council

Re: environmentalism + LOTR

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi ctk! Welcome!

Professor Tolkien's views of 'progress', i.e., industrialization, v. nature is a theme that's well developed over in Books. There is a search feature on TORC, but I'm not sure exactly what your best query might be.

As for Jackson's use of New Zealand's spectacular geography to reflect the juxtaposition of good and evil, could you be more specific? Which scene(s) struck you most particularly?
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Old_Begonia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:13 pm

ACTUALLY...

I just notice a thread I had forgotten about. It's on the front page of this forum as I type. It's called "META M00bie Forum 3.0(updated November 24th, 2006)".

Search through the threads listed there. It's a long list because it's a very detailed index of significant discussions that took place over several years. There is a TON of information and ideas there.

And once a gain, welcome!
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby solicitr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:10 am

I think the strong message of the books is severely undercut by Jackson's leaving out the Scouring of the Shire. Moreover, although Isengard is shown with massive smithies and attendant burning of wood, there are no "wheels and cogs," no machines suitable for Blake's dark Satanic mills depicted; it's all medieval iron-beatin' on a large scale.

(BTW, why does Hollywood seem to think that swords are cast in molds? :x )
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings