Tauriel & Kili

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Tauriel & Kili

Postby LonelyMtTrush » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:25 am

Although the story between Kili and Tauriel in the movie was adorable; did it bother anyone that they created her out of no where? They made Legolas fall in love with her in the movie, which doesn't go along with The Lord Of The Rings books. He is suppose to fall inlove with the sea. Not her. And eleves can only love once? Is there something I am missing? I love the story tho!
LonelyMtTrush
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Tauriel & Kili

Postby Gandalf Greyhame » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Not to change the subject completely, but I think they are both half breeds as well. I think they're heritage overlaps. Hence the unknown basis for they're mutual attraction.
Gandalf Greyhame

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 am

Gandalf Greyhame wrote:Not to change the subject completely, but I think they are both half breeds as well. I think they're heritage overlaps. Hence the unknown basis for they're mutual attraction.

You are making some big assumptions here. We know that the mother of Fili and Kili is Dís, the younger sister of Thorin Oakenshield, but Tolkien never reveals the identity of their father. He might have been a Dwarf of the Blue Mountains, descended from either the Broadbeams or Firebeards (as Tolkien named them), though it seems more likely that Dís wed one of the followers of her father King Thráin. It is true that they would have been born and raised in the halls ruled by Thorin.

It is just as difficult to call Tauriel a half-breed except perhaps in a metaphorical sense. As a character newly-created for the films, she was originally called Itaril and her casting call gave up her background:

[ITARIL] FEMALE, A WOODLAND ELF, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King’s Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P.

Some of the details changed as the films were developed, but to the best of my knowledge her Silvan (Wood-elf) parentage remained the same. We are told in Jude Fisher's The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Visual Companion that Tauriel is a little over 600 years old and she was fostered in Thranduil's court after her parents were slain by Orcs. So she is a Silvan Elf raised among the Sinda nobility of the Woodland Realm. LotR Appendix F "The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age" informs us that the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood and Lothlórien were East-elves, the Avari who never took part in the Great Journey, though they might have been mixed with Nandor Elves who never passed west of the Misty Mountains.

What Kili and Tauriel have in common is their relative youth and their lack of the preconceptions of their elders.

To address the OP: I do like Tauriel as a character, but to my mind she would have worked better without being burdened with the awkward 'love story' with Kili.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf Greyhame » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm not going to argue against hose facts. I was just guessing, but had made that assumption about Kili for less dwarvish looks minus the beard.
Gandalf Greyhame

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:55 pm

Gandalf Greyhame wrote:I'm not going to argue against hose facts. I was just guessing, but had made that assumption about Kili for less dwarvish looks minus the beard.

Man/Dwarf half-breeds? Lord, don't even go there! It was bad enough when 1980s game designers came up with the Umli for Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP). Plus, there is absolutely no reason to think that Tauriel could have been a Half-elf.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:41 pm

I loathed the Tauriel/Kili/Legolas triangle. Blech. I didn't mind Tauriel, but I'd have preferred her as simply a lesser character, a guard who went to battle. Maybe one who was sympathetic to the Dwarves. But I didn't find the story adorable at all. :P
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Krypton_Son » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:36 am

It didn't really do anything for me. Besides I wasn't a huge fan of them creating her for the movie, or putting Legolas in there in the first place. I don't think it's a bad thing, I could take it or leave it.
Krypton_Son

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 pm

I didn't mind Tauriel as a character (though I am biased in that I love Evangeline Lilly's acting). I HATED the end of her "romantic" storyline with Kili, and felt that their storyline should have ended with something a little more emotionally dramatic than her weeping over his dead body. Maybe if she had died? My other problem with her was her strange similarity to Arwen in the healing scene at Lake-town – Tauriel is not Arwen, and as a simple Silvan Elf I don't think she should have been glowing like that. Wood Elves are less high and majestic than the Eldar. Also, why was her storyline not properly ended? It kind of seemed that she just disappeared after Kili died, which felt a little bit demeaning. I agree with a sentiment expressed previously on the boards that she was probably one of the guards killed by Orcs while watching over Gollum.
Also, I thought having Legolas in the movies made total sense, even though he got very annoying, very fast. I really would have liked to have seen him as the guard who got drunk in the cellars :lol: his whole fight against Bolg was unnecessary, in my opinion.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Just rewatched DoS this evening, and I still really like Tauriel, but I don't like Kili very much…their relationship felt forced, as if their characters were being pushed together by the scriptwriters while wanting to move in opposite directions, and Tauriel felt a little too…not haughty, that's the wrong word, but she seemed almost as if she treated Kili more as a friend than in a romantic way (I really like the way she draws back when Kili suggests his talisman is cursed; like she's a much higher creature, afraid of being dirtied by this lowly Dwarf – I would have much rather seen her reject Kili's unwanted advances). She had a stronger relationship with Legolas, I thought. Her story arc was tampered with by having Kili; I don't like him.
More importantly, does anyone else find it really annoying that when Legolas studies Orcrist, he says it was forged by his kin? It's false, as far as I know, and the rest of the movie I was thinking in the back of my head; "like, why did Legolas lie about that?" and then I realised it was just there to…make his stealing the sword seem justified? make him seem more high and noble? it did neither, for me
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien