Amazon & Warner Bros. in talks for a TV adaptation of LOTR

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: Amazon & Warner Bros. in talks for a TV adaptation of LO

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:20 am

Tolkien was undecided as to the fates of the pair of 'Blue Wizards' Alatar and Pallando (or, if you prefer, Morinehtar and Rómestámo). Falling into evil and corruption was one possibility. They might also have at least partially succeeded in their missions and the forces of Sauron might have been even stronger without their involvement. Their separate fates as individuals might have even been very different. But it would be problematic to explicitly include either of the Ithryn Luin as there is said to be no record of what became of them.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am

Still, any storyline in the far east or south of Middle-earth would be invented, so it would make more sense (to me) if they at least based it off of something Tolkien actually wrote about – then again, Aragorn might not be the main character, so this is just conjecture anyway! :)
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Some might be interested to know that there is a member of TheOneRing.net who (with his brother) was involved in a pitch to Amazon for the M-e series. What he reported was that the show can apparently only use The Lord of the Rings and its appendices as a source. They could not reference material that was exclusive to other works such as The SIlmarillion or even The Hobbit. However, neither could they directly contradict those other works. This creates quite a challenge for the writers and showrunner(s).
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:What he reported was that the show can apparently only use The Lord of the Rings and its appendices as a source. They could not reference material that was exclusive to other works such as The SIlmarillion or even The Hobbit. However, neither could they directly contradict those other works. This creates quite a challenge for the writers and showrunner(s).

Certainly does. I don't know how that's gonna work out…it'll be interesting to see the extent to which they will have to manipulate the stuff in the appendices to get it to fill four seasons.
(btw, I wrote before that it was in HoME that the Blue Wizards were mentioned: I meant to write Unfinished Tales, I think) :oops:
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:46 pm

I think it's been confirmed already that the story will take place in between Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, but if they're going solely by LotR & Appendices, I do hope they find some way to give the whole history of Arnor (with the Snowmen of Lossoth, Tyrn Gorthad, Amon Sul and whatnot) as flashbacks or something; I think the Wars of Arnor would make a better storyline for a GoT style show personally, if that's the route Bezos wants to go with this (and he might not, I admit), but I think it could be nice as flashbacks, with the history of the Dunedain following, leading up to Aragorn, if he is the hero. Also, that would be the nicest way (I think) of introducing Tom Bombadil, as the mysterious spirit who may or may not have aided the Men of Arnor in those wars, when it is said that the last of the faithful in Cardolan took refuge on the Barrow-Downs or in the Forest behind. I personally would like that (and, as someone who may have helped Aragorn's ancestors – well, okay, the men of Cardolan weren't as much his ancestors as men from Arthedain, but whatever – I could envision Aragorn going to find him, perhaps with Gandalf's help……okay, that idea is not really making sense as I write it, but it could be interesting if done in a slightly better way than what I just outlined.)
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Actually, much of the histories of Arnor and Gondor are in the appendices, especially Appendix A and Appendix B. The story of King Arvedui and his death in Forochel is there. That was one of the tales that inspired me to start my "TOR Guide" series of home-brewed supplements for The One Ring Roleplaying Game.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:14 pm

That stuff would be COOL in a TV show, wouldn't it be?
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 am

The tricky part would be bringing it all together into a cohesive whole.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am

I'm thinking of ways it could be done…I think it could only work if the whole show was centered on Aragorn, but as I assume that's where they're going with this, I hope they reach the same conclusion that the Wars of Arnor would be visually awesome. Also, Glorfindel is part of that, and who doesn't want to finally see him on screen?? Plus, it says that Rivendell was besieged during that time. Tolkien wrote that in times of crisis, Elven women would fight alongside men, none the lesser in strength or speed – Arwen warrior princess, anyone? Elrond brought Elves of Lorien over the Mountains to help in the fight; I don't know if Galadriel was with them, but she could have been. The greatest navy ever assembled since Ar-Pharazon sailed from Gondor to aid their northern brothers. The Barrow-Wights arose in Tyrn Gorthad. You might even have those infamous hobbit archers!
Thinking about it, the Wars of Arnor might be even more interesting than the journeys of Aragorn…
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:48 am

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:Thinking about it, the Wars of Arnor might be even more interesting than the journeys of Aragorn…

Quite possibly, though they also take place over a much longer span of time. There could be some time-compression, but I wouldn't want to see the staff get too carried away with that. It might be enough to just concentrate on the events of the twentieth century of the Third Age leading to the fall of both Arthedain and Angmar.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:Thinking about it, the Wars of Arnor might be even more interesting than the journeys of Aragorn…

Quite possibly, though they also take place over a much longer span of time. There could be some time-compression, but I wouldn't want to see the staff get too carried away with that. It might be enough to just concentrate on the events of the twentieth century of the Third Age leading to the fall of both Arthedain and Angmar.

True - also, I'm not sure if the Wars of Arnor would feature enough familiar characters to ring a bell with audiences; no Gandalf, as far as I know (though frankly I don't think his whereabouts through most of the Third Age are known), and - well, no, they would find some way to throw Legolas in, whether this story is set during the War of the Ring or the Darkening of Valinor. :roll: )
Though it would make a good series of flashbacks
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien