Amazon & Warner Bros. in talks for a TV adaptation of LOTR

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Re: Amazon & Warner Bros. in talks for a TV adaptation of LO

Postby Aravar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 pm

There really has to be a serious breakdown in relations between beneficiaries and trustees such that the administration of the trust is impeded before a trustee can be removed.

Old age is a more likely reason.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Ian McKellen wants to play Gandalf again on TV:

https://www.thewrap.com/ian-mckellen-wa ... tv-series/
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Telemachos wrote:Well hi everyone! It's been quite a long time. Seems like there are still a few familiar faces here.

A bit of unexpected and potentially fascinating news -- the thread title says it all.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of ... 202606519/

hello, Tele! (and other familiar faces)

Now on to catch up with the thread....

So this kinda sounds like that 'bridge' movie idea that PJ was talking about at one point, using material from the appendices to fill in the time between the end of the Hobbit and the start of LotR. I actually think this is a better idea than a straight adaptation, which would inevitably have suffered from constant comparison to the movies,

I dunno... I am not heartened by the news so far. A new adaption of LOTR for the small screen would be a very different creature than a movie adaption. We spoke about what that would be like years ago on this forum-- back during the purist and revisionist wars. The revisionists argued a movie could not be as faithful as a serialized TV show, which could put in things like Tom Bombadil and the barrow downs.

I have trouble believing stuff made up from bits Tolkien left will have the White Orc effect. Will they be able to be true to the spirit of LOTR? Or are they just trying to force a GoT style success? :-/ I hope it works but I'm doubtful. Tolkien was from an age and had a viewpoint that is very very rare in the world, and I think unless someone really tries to 'get' his heart, then what made LOTR so special will not come across in the series. Jackson did not share many of Tolkien's views, but he did try to make something that would honor those views in LOTR (not sure what the heck happened with The Hobbit).

According to TORN, CT just resigned from the Tolkien Estate:
Holy Cow! I'm still catching up on posts here... this IS news. And not necessarily good news for the stories. I figured CT would have an ability to reign in the worst excesses, but now my confidence is less than it was a few minutes ago. The man is ancient, and certainly deserves a nice retirement in his last few years.

Does anyone have the latest news? My understanding is it will be made up stuff 'based on' some Tolkien written bits of events between the Hobbit and LOTR. I'm curious to see a serialized LOTR (or Hobbit thru LOTR) story, but if they want Game of Thrones Epic, they need to do Silm/Numenor.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Denethor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Elmtree wrote:Does anyone have the latest news? My understanding is it will be made up stuff 'based on' some Tolkien written bits of events between the Hobbit and LOTR. I'm curious to see a serialized LOTR (or Hobbit thru LOTR) story, but if they want Game of Thrones Epic, they need to do Silm/Numenor.

It's not a serialised LOTR, but rather what seems to be prequel fanfiction.

In any case, it might revive TORC. :)
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:54 pm

That's what I understood, Denethor. Sorry to hear what I heard was correct. Prequel fanfic sounds awful-- mind you, I like a good fanfic. But it's because I expect something different with fanfic than with something professional. What is Amazon thinking? Probably of money-- but this is, I think, a bad move. I thought christopher tolkien had been a little too strict in the past... now I wish he was still vetoing stuff!
Elmtree

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 am

Hi. My best guess is that this series will be based (at least loosely) on material from the LotR Appendices and will most likely be set between the Battle of the Five Armies and the War of the Ring. However, the Appendices also covers much of the Second Age and the Kingdoms of the Dúnedain in the Third Age. I actually expect a series about the journeys and errantries of Aragorn as a young Ranger. Perhaps the most intriguing possibility is for an anthology series in which each season might tell a self-contained story.

Thoughts?
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Gadget2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:Hi. My best guess is that this series will be based (at least loosely) on material from the LotR Appendices and will most likely be set between the Battle of the Five Armies and the War of the Ring. However, the Appendices also covers much of the Second Age and the Kingdoms of the Dúnedain in the Third Age. I actually expect a series about the journeys and errantries of Aragorn as a young Ranger. Perhaps the most intriguing possibility is for an anthology series in which each season might tell a self-contained story.

Thoughts?

I think this is probably the most likely case. Aragorn's younger days of errantry provide the obvious glue that holds the framework of such a story together. One could tell about the worsening conditions all over middle-earth through the guise of Aragorn's wanderings and adventures. Mind you, I'm not saying it will be good, but this seems the most probable axis of story telling to me.
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

Gadget2 wrote:I think this is probably the most likely case. Aragorn's younger days of errantry provide the obvious glue that holds the framework of such a story together. One could tell about the worsening conditions all over middle-earth through the guise of Aragorn's wanderings and adventures. Mind you, I'm not saying it will be good, but this seems the most probable axis of story telling to me.

Aragorn does provide the potential viewership with a familiar character being presented in a new manner. And he is a character who could support an entire series. On the other hand, an anthology series can present a new story every season, or even use smaller arcs to provide several separate stories per season. Some of those tales could easily draw from "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen". I could see Amazon use either approach.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

Gadget2 wrote:I think this is probably the most likely case. Aragorn's younger days of errantry provide the obvious glue that holds the framework of such a story together. One could tell about the worsening conditions all over middle-earth through the guise of Aragorn's wanderings and adventures. Mind you, I'm not saying it will be good, but this seems the most probable axis of story telling to me.

Aragorn does provide the potential viewership with a familiar character being presented in a new manner. And he is a character who could support an entire series. On the other hand, an anthology series can present a new story every season, or even use smaller arcs to provide several separate stories per season. Some of those tales could easily draw from "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen". I could see Amazon use either approach.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 am

This makes the most sense. But will it be True to Tolkien's Aragorn? Will it be true to Tolkien, period? I have serious doubt about it, as I suspect cash rather than craft is behind this.

Well, if I can just take a deep breath and view it as fanfic, I should be okay.

While I don't agree with every move PJ made in his LOTR movies, he did, for the most part, keep the *heart* of Tolkien, and in a way I'm not sure other directors would have.
Elmtree

Postby Gadget2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am

This makes the most sense. But will it be True to Tolkien's Aragorn? Will it be true to Tolkien, period? I have serious doubt about it, as I suspect cash rather than craft is behind this.

People have been saying such since long before I joined these boards, before PJ's movies came out. I share your suspicions but have learned over the years to just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Well, if I can just take a deep breath and view it as fanfic, I should be okay.

While I don't agree with every move PJ made in his LOTR movies, he did, for the most part, keep the *heart* of Tolkien, and in a way I'm not sure other directors would have.

While we could (and have) debate about his tLotR adaptation, I'm not sure I really follow you with regard to The Hobbit films. Not sure they could do worse, and if they do, it might be easier to stomach as it would likely be so far off base as to be some new fantasy that is only loosely based on tLotR.
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am

Two Seasons of Amazon's Lord of the Rings Show Could Cost $500 Million

CBR.com reports on an internal study by Reuters:

...the Lord of the Rings TV series could end up costing the electronic commerce behemoth in the neighborhood of $500 million -- or more -- for the first two seasons alone. While the projection appears to be quite staggering, half of the total, $250 million, was spent on acquiring the rights to make the series in the first place, with the remainder of the projection being attributed to marketing and production costs.

The end of the article notes that there is still not much known about the series:

The prequel series remains in the very early stages of its development with no casting information or production details known, though there is reportedly potential for spinoff shows. Additional details will be released as the series enters production.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf Greyhame » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 am

The familiar outline of conical hatted one is seen suddenly in the cavern knocking every Goblin nearest to him flying with concussive force and light....

Thewhitetree wrote:Iiiiiiinteresting... I guess the real question here is yet again: Tom Bombadil or NO Tom Bombadil?

Yes, I want him in......this time. No matter how much light he brings to a supposedly grim story.

BTW, my reason for coming back to forum was to bring this very news that Amazon is doing a multiseasonal series about the other works of Tolkien that didn't make it into the Lord of the Rings & Hobbit films. As great as they were, I always lamented the omission of the one without a father & in green or yellow boots.

Hoping for the Silmarillion if not the Lost Tales, but who are Amazon to be making film's? I like order stuff through their website and still do. I guess they're merely being rich & would like to brance out into this new area.

Now fully identified as Gandalf after briefly slaughting more and more Goblins in his close vicinity. Awakening the dwarves from their half slumber he leads the way to freedom....
Gandalf Greyhame
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Elmtree » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Gadget2 wrote:While we could (and have) debate about his tLotR adaptation, I'm not sure I really follow you with regard to The Hobbit films. Not sure they could do worse, and if they do, it might be easier to stomach as it would likely be so far off base as to be some new fantasy that is only loosely based on tLotR.

There's a reason I specified "LOTR films" in my earlier quote :D Although somewhere in the mess that is the Hobbit, there is a good movie. Or at least not as bad a movie. The cast was excellent. And even all the overdone stuff and poor choices, there were a few good choices and touching scenes. Bilbo and Thorin and the acorn felt so correct, even if pouring gold on Smaug and a CGI white orc did not. And I don't even want to go near Tauriel, Legolas, and Kili. :roll:

I have trouble believing we're going to have any of those Tolkien moments in the Amazon version. I expect a Game of Thrones rip off. Maybe with someone named Aragorn. Maybe even with some pyro in Gondor who will grow up to be Steward. Maybe with people who really like to ride horses and kill orcs. But the 'feel' of Tolkien that came through even in moments in the Hobbit (and more than moments in LOTR)-- I don't expect that at all. Sadly.

I hope to be proved wrong.
Elmtree

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Elmtree wrote:There's a reason I specified "LOTR films" in my earlier quote :D Although somewhere in the mess that is the Hobbit, there is a good movie. Or at least not as bad a movie. The cast was excellent. And even all the overdone stuff and poor choices, there were a few good choices and touching scenes. Bilbo and Thorin and the acorn felt so correct, even if pouring gold on Smaug and a CGI white orc did not. And I don't even want to go near Tauriel, Legolas, and Kili. :roll:

I have trouble believing we're going to have any of those Tolkien moments in the Amazon version. I expect a Game of Thrones rip off. Maybe with someone named Aragorn. Maybe even with some pyro in Gondor who will grow up to be Steward. Maybe with people who really like to ride horses and kill orcs. But the 'feel' of Tolkien that came through even in moments in the Hobbit (and more than moments in LOTR)-- I don't expect that at all. Sadly.

I hope to be proved wrong.

I'm a bit more optimistic, though I'm still taking a wait-and-see attitude. We still don't know much about the format of the show or exactly what period(s) it will cover.

I wouldn't worry too much about Denethor being introduced as a child; he had already entered his forty-sixth year when Aragorn (as Thorongil) left the service of the steward Ecthelion. Théoden of Rohan was younger than Denethor, but even he was at about thirty-two years old when he became king in 2981.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am

The April 4 issue of The Hollywood Reporter has a new article that goes into some detail about Amazon's $250 million Lord of the Rings deal. The online version of the story was posted today: Inside Amazon's $250M 'Lord of the Rings' Deal: "It's Very Much a Creature of the Times". It confirms Amazon's five-season commitment and identifies the participants involved in the deal.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

The artwork for that article is excellent. :D

The "very much a creature of the times" line freaked me out until I read the article.
Elmtree

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Elmtree wrote:The artwork for that article is excellent. :D

=:)

Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby notlistening » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Am I wrong to wish that in some way Netflix was the maker of whatever they do with the rights? As pointed out earlier, Amazon are more sellers than makers, and while I don't watch a lot of Netflix, they are getting good at making shows that people want to watch.

I don't really want them to "GOT" anything LOTR. It was never written in that extreme OOT style of violence, sex and language. Okay, maybe some of the violence, but Tolkien's language or lack of it appeals to me in a day and age where everyone curses very second word. So not necessary, imho. But the studios will do what they want if it will earn them a buck.

off soap box now. Next?

Fluffy guarding the TVM.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 am

notlistening wrote:Am I wrong to wish that in some way Netflix was the maker of whatever they do with the rights? As pointed out earlier, Amazon are more sellers than makers, and while I don't watch a lot of Netflix, they are getting good at making shows that people want to watch.

I don't really want them to "GOT" anything LOTR. It was never written in that extreme OOT style of violence, sex and language. Okay, maybe some of the violence, but Tolkien's language or lack of it appeals to me in a day and age where everyone curses very second word. So not necessary, imho. But the studios will do what they want if it will earn them a buck.

off soap box now. Next?

Amazon's Jeff Bezos seems to be a big fan of heroic fantasy in general, so when he compares The Lord of the Rings to HBO's Game of Thrones I suspect (and hope!) that he it thinking in terms of size and scope, not tone. For now, we need to wait to see who is announced as showrunner and what the plans are for the series and cast. Right now we know to little to make any snap judgements.

Forbes came out with their own article that follows up on the one from THR: Amazon's Potentially Billion Dollar 'Lord of the Rings' Show Sounds Absolutely Insane.

New Zealand's stuff reports: Sir Peter Jackson could be joining Amazon's billion-dollar Lord of the Rings TV series.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 pm

notlistening wrote:I don't really want them to "GOT" anything LOTR. It was never written in that extreme OOT style of violence, sex and language. Okay, maybe some of the violence, but Tolkien's language or lack of it appeals to me in a day and age where everyone curses very second word. So not necessary, imho. But the studios will do what they want if it will earn them a buck.

off soap box now. Next?

I'll stand with you on that soapbox!
Elmtree

Postby Gadget2 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:00 pm

The Forbes article linked above has some fascinating quotes:

While I understand Amazon’s desire to find their own Game of Thrones type hit, paying this much for the rights to Lord of the Rings and developing a massive show in that world does not seem like the right way to go about this, particularly at that eye-popping price. Granted, if anyone can afford it, it’s Amazon, but this seems like they’re assuming they can just spend their way to a high quality program, and I’m not sure that’s the case.

I think many of us here had similar thoughts as soon as they heard about this new arrangement. After praising the original tLotR trilogy, the article goes on to say:

The other problem? Peter Jackson’s follow-up trilogy is pretty bad. This demonstrates what happens when you run out of source material and have to stretch what little you have to work with into something larger than it should be. The Hobbit trilogy pales in comparison to the original LOTR trilogy, and if Peter Jackson himself couldn’t make the concept work, I’m wondering what chance Amazon has without him, and almost no source material to work with at all, given that everything else has already been adapted to death. They can have a world with Hobbits and Elves and Orcs and power rings, but they have no roadmap, they’ll have to make it all up unless they re-adapt the original books, which seems like an even worse idea. Even Game of Thrones had George RR Martin’s books to follow, and Amazon seems like it’s on its own arduous path to Mordor, with peril lurking around every turn.

I don't know if I could have put it any better. On a positive note, it is perhaps better to go into this with low expectations as a viewer, that way you can only be (pleasantly) surprised. The article rightly points out that Amazon could have paid a lesser (presumably much lesser) price to adapt another well-liked fantasy franchise as a Game of Thrones successor, and finishes with:

Lord of the Rings feels like a well that ran dry about twenty minutes into the second Hobbit movie, and I’m not sure what more Amazon can extract from it at this point.

Ouch!
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Breaking news from TORN's Twitter feed:
[BREAKING] We have confirmed from multiple sources that @AmazonStudios new billion-dollar #LOTR series will open its first season centered on a young Aragorn.

Presumably an official announcement will be forthcoming soon and with more details.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Denethor » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm

If they want to emulate GOT here, they're going to run into serious problems - the scope just isn't there. I mean, they can milk a season out of Aragorn's backstory, but it's going to be low-stakes, with no-one of significance dying, and no opportunity for GOT-style sexual content (seriously, if they wanted that, they'd have been better off doing a decadent interpretation of Numenor. Or better yet, a non-Tolkien series).

My own curiosity is how they treat Denethor:

https://phuulishfellow.wordpress.com/2018/05/17/so-it-is-young-aragorn/
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I suspect that Bezos does not want to emulate Game of Thrones as literally as many people believe. At the same time, the story of Aragorn's early years encompasses several decades and ranges across all of Middle-earth (or throughout Eriador, Rhovanion, Rohan and Gondor if the show does not aim to explore Aragorn's journeys to the distant East and far South). The challenge for the showrunner(s) is to introduce new characters in which the viewers can invest their feelings so that their potential deaths will resonate with the audience. Aragorn would have encountered many people from all parts of Middle-earth who Tolkien never mentioned by name or even described. Between the movies and the books, there are already a number of characters that will be familiar to fans of Tolkien's Middle-earth, though such persons as King Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor do not perish while in the company of Aragorn (at least within Tolkien's legendarium).

My guess is that the first season will cover a period before Aragorn serves under Ecthelion II in Gondor, maybe going back to the start of his friendship with Gandalf the Grey. A second season could be set in Rhovanion and involve the Elves of Mirkwood, Woodmen and Beornings and visits to the new Lake-town, Dale and Erebor. The next season could cover Aragorn's time in Rohan. Then the setting could move to Minas Tirith and the rest of Gondor. At some point after Aragorn and Arwen plight their troth he journeys to distant lands in the East and South.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Thu May 17, 2018 9:22 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:Breaking news from TORN's Twitter feed:
[BREAKING] We have confirmed from multiple sources that @AmazonStudios new billion-dollar #LOTR series will open its first season centered on a young Aragorn.

Presumably an official announcement will be forthcoming soon and with more details.

Or maybe not. ;)
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
Otaku-sempai wrote:[url=https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/996822027343310848]Presumably an official announcement will be forthcoming soon and with more details.

Or maybe not. ;)

Give it a few days. 8)

There's also still a chance that each season might have a different focus. The first season is alleged to be about the early days of Aragorn. However, subsequent seasons might concentrate on other characters and settings such as: Balin's attempt to retake Moria; the last days of King Arvedui; the fall of Angmar; etc.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Thu May 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
There's also still a chance that each season might have a different focus. The first season is alleged to be about the early days of Aragorn. However, subsequent seasons might concentrate on other characters and settings such as: Balin's attempt to retake Moria; the last days of King Arvedui; the fall of Angmar; etc.

Any news? The list you give is a good one... I could see these things being done well. I'm not sure they will be... I have such little faith in this. But the list you put out shows me there are more story possibilities than I thought. Will it feel like Tolkien, though? Or at least will it be a good story with good characters even if it doesn't feel like Tolkien?
Elmtree

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Elmtree wrote:Any news? The list you give is a good one... I could see these things being done well. I'm not sure they will be... I have such little faith in this. But the list you put out shows me there are more story possibilities than I thought. Will it feel like Tolkien, though? Or at least will it be a good story with good characters even if it doesn't feel like Tolkien?

Nothing official yet. I suspect that the current plan is to stay with Aragorn past Season 1, but to be able to switch gears if viewers don't respond to that approach.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 am

I suspect that Amazon is now scouring fan sites looking for ideas. ;) If they go to tumblr, we are doomed.

Personally, I'd love to see the decadent Numenor that Denethor mentioned above.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien