Topher Grace Re-Cut The Hobbit Trilogy Into a Two-Hour Movie

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Topher Grace Re-Cut The Hobbit Trilogy Into a Two-Hour Movie

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:48 pm

CBR.com's Sam Stone reports:
Everyone has their own hobbies and, for former That 70s Show star Topher Grace, it’s re-editing major Hollywood films.

After appearing as real-life Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke in Spike Lee’s upcoming film BlacKkKlansman, Grace recovered from the experience by creating a fan edit of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit trilogy, compressing the entire seven-hour saga into a single two-hour film.

The rest of the story is at CBR.com.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: Topher Grace Re-Cut The Hobbit Trilogy Into a Two-Hour M

Postby Krypton_Son » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 am

That's actually really cool. I wonder if he'll put it out there for people to see.
Krypton_Son
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am

Krypton_Son wrote:That's actually really cool. I wonder if he'll put it out there for people to see.

No, he cannot legally do that. Sorry.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Krypton_Son » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Krypton_Son wrote:That's actually really cool. I wonder if he'll put it out there for people to see.

No, he cannot legally do that. Sorry.

That's true, but there are a lot of fan edits of movies that make their way to the might internet. He may not be able to do it legally, but that doesn't mean that he won't do it.
Krypton_Son
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Nerdanel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:32 pm

I just came to revisit this forum after a long time to say that I had just seen a (different) two-hour fanedit of The Hobbit, and it's amazing just how much it's better than the original trilogy. Peter Jackson had produced a masterpiece along with seven hours of horrible suffocating bloat and Hollywood filler sequences. There is an art movie buried under it all. I had no idea. I had seen the extent of the necessary cuts, but not how much everything would have been transformed for the better.
Nerdanel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:55 am

I'd love to see this. My daughter watches the DVDs and skips at least a couple of hours in the set of three. She says the movie is much better that way. My sister used to watch bits of the movie on DVD waiting for chemo. She loved it. But she also just skipped some of the excessive battle scenes. Her version was also a lot shorter. The thing is, would Hollywood have approved of a movie that was more character focused and two hours, or would the character bits have been the stuff that was cut?

I'd love to see a PJ cut with more focus on some of the character moments he shot (like Bilbo at the market). To me the thread that should hold the film together is the story of Bilbo and how he grew, as well as Thorin and how he descended. We had a bit of that, but it got lost in the clutter.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby ihadababyitsaboy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 pm

This would be interesting to see - I always thought that The Hobbit would have been best served as, at most, a two-parter, with three movies being at least 2.5 hours too long.
ihadababyitsaboy
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien