Viewing order guidance for a deeper understanding

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Viewing order guidance for a deeper understanding

Postby Stonemanhouse1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Greetings!

Today I am seeking advice, perspective or direction..

My partner & I recently attended a renaissance festival - which was steeped in fantasy akin to Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit - we had an excellent time.

Someone asked me if I was purposefully embodying the spirit of Tom Bombadil.. & that my partner looked like Goldberry. I embarrassingly said I didn’t know who they were - they told me to look it up later. So I did.. I was also told that they are not featured in the movies, but are made reference to.

I have not read the books, I did see some of the movies when they came out in theaters.

I’ve researched what the best order is in which to watch them.. I’m now interested in watching them chronologically.

I watched the first of the Hobbit trilogy last evening..

However! My interest is in knowing, without reading the books, if there is more that can be experienced chronologically outside of the Peter Jackson films that perhaps covers things more accurately as the book would progress ..

For example:
First: The Hobbit: an unexpected journey
Second: 1977 the hobbit
Third: YouTube video by fan explaining XYZ

ETC...

I’m open to all thoughts, suggestions & ideas :)

If this has already been covered somewhere else please just link me

Thank you very much in advance!
Stonemanhouse1
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Viewing order guidance for a deeper understanding

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 am

There are various books about the making of Peter Jackson's Middle-earth films. Jude Fisher's Visual Guides to the Hobbit movies do include bits of trivia gathered from Tolkien's legendarium (such as a sidebar about the 'Blue Wizards' who journeyed into the East of Middle-earth and left no record of either their accomplishments or their failures).

The 1977 animated television special of The Hobbit is more faithful to the book, but its limited running time (90 minutes including ads) means that it has to take many shortcuts, including leaving Beorn and the subplot featuring the Arkenstone out altogether. Ralph Bakshi's animated film of The Lord of the Rings only adapts about the first half of that story, and includes some rather eccentric casting choices in character design, voice casting and voice direction. The animated special adapting The Return of the King is an odd duck that recycles a number of designs from the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and leaves out much from the book.

There are audio dramas adapting both The Hobbit and The Lord of the RIngs. Many fans of the books prefer the BBC versions, but the Mind's Eye adaptations that premiered on NPR have value as well (for one thing, Tom Bombadil was not excluded from the MInd's Eye version of LotR).
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Gadget2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:08 am

I would also recommend to BBC audio drama of The Lord of the Rings, if you do not wish to read the books. It is by far the best adaptation I've come across, though I have not heard the Mind's Eye version. I would be especially wary of the movies and random people on youtube. From what I've seen, most of the youtube people seem to have watched the films a few times and are now 'experts.'
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 pm

The 1970's versions of the Hobbit and LotR should, in my opinion, be avoided if at all possible, but the BBC adaptation is very good
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Postby Stonemanhouse1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks for the replies Otaku-sempai, Gadget 2, Thor ‘ n’ Oakenshield - will take all of this into account as I move forward! :)
Stonemanhouse1
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien