Éowyn: Otto or Doody?

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Heir_of_Elendil » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:31 am

Give me Otto over Doody, the former has a certain sweetness that will make me feel for her when she confronts the WitchKing.
Heir_of_Elendil
Shield Bearer

Postby TheLidlessEyes » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:03 am

<i>Give me Otto over Doody</i><BR><BR>Now there's an image...<BR><BR>Yep. Still in the back row.
TheLidlessEyes
Mariner

Re: Éowyn: Otto or Doody?

Postby Guest333 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Miranda Otto is ugly.
Guest333
Petitioner to the Council

Postby VardaElantari II » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Guest, I've only seen Otto in the two LOTR movies. She has a fresh, natural look. I've tried to picture other actresses in the role of Eowyn, but they all fall short of Otto. She had the look of the person that I envisioned when I read the books as a youngster years ago. Just MHO, though! :)
VardaElantari II

Postby Himrandir » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:35 pm

The actor they chose was good for Eowyn. Doody, however, would have miserably failed at it. The greatest aspect of Eowyn, her fair skin, would have not been achieved. The point is not to have the best-looking actress, but the one that fits the role.
Himrandir

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 am

Eowyn was not famed for her beauty but for her coldness and bravery. So how the actress looks has next to no value of it (almost!).

Otto's performance was one of the best in the movies and she touched Eowyn's coldness as perfectly as it can be done. And yes, she's in the top 10 best actors/actresses of the trilogy in my list! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gadget2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am

Eowyn was famed for both! I liked Miranda Okay, as Eowyn, but I don't think the movies came close to capturing her stern coldness & despair, It just was not something they choose to concentrate on. How much of this was Miranda & how much was the script/direction can be debated, but I lean more towards the latter.
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien