M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:52 am

Oh, and Magpie, Teremia's thread will be returning to the hobbits before long. You will be needed urgently then.

Just sayin'.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:17 am

Nár wrote:My dear friend Lembas, you knew I was going to come back, at least to poke fun at you when SW: Episode III will come out :D
Ha! :D *Gjzzzzzsh* Ready when you are!
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby tolkienpurist » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:18 am

Frelga wrote:TP! Ain't it grand to see you! :) And where's your evil twin, JacksonPurist? :twisted: And yes, I realise you don't remember me. No matter, I remember you.

Hey Frelga! Of course I remember you :D JacksonPurist? Quite an annoying one, that. I actually got her committed to a state mental institution, straitjacketed. She was one of those insane types who couldn't stop talking about how wonderful Peter Jackson is, and actually LIKED THE MOVIES. I couldn't stand for that sort of nonsense to be typed into my computer. :x :x :x

- TP
tolkienpurist
Rider of the Mark

Postby jacksonpurist » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:46 am

tolkienpurist wrote:
Frelga wrote:TP! Ain't it grand to see you! :) And where's your evil twin, JacksonPurist? :twisted: And yes, I realise you don't remember me. No matter, I remember you.

Hey Frelga! Of course I remember you :D JacksonPurist? Quite an annoying one, that. I actually got her committed to a state mental institution, straitjacketed. She was one of those insane types who couldn't stop talking about how wonderful Peter Jackson is, and actually LIKED THE MOVIES. I couldn't stand for that sort of nonsense to be typed into my computer. :x :x :x

- TP

:eye:

*maniacal laugh*

mwaahaahahahahahahaaaaaaa
jacksonpurist
Petitioner to the Council

Postby tolkienpurist » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:43 am

jacksonpurist wrote::eye:

*maniacal laugh*

mwaahaahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Er. Apparently I, uh, need to have words with the mental institution about releasing their wards prematurely. This one continues to be quite insane.

(and for the record, I have no idea who this JP is (seriously), but I'll have him/her know that I do NOT tolerate this nonsensical Jackson purism on my computer screen :X:X:X:X)

- TOLKIENpurist
tolkienpurist
Rider of the Mark

Postby Oldbie_v2.0 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:48 pm

Dear Powers That Be,

Is it possible that this thread be stickied at the top of this forum, please?

Just as there is the Meta Movies 3.0 sticky - an anthology for the threads, there should be a similar one for the posters too.
Oldbie_v2.0
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Dunthule » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:13 pm

I like the idea. :)
It'll be too bad that many posters miss this thread.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby dawnnamira » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:43 pm

I know that I probably wasn't considered a m00b by most. But I considered myself a m00b, and I think I'll always carry that with a slight, insignificant hint of pride.

I first joined TORC as samwise_gamgee_is_rad. Not because I was a fan girl, (I hadn't seen the movies when I first joined) but because he was my favorite character in the book, my 'anti-hero' of sorts.

But, anyways...if anyone wants to 'chronicle' my activites here (Tookster, or *E* or Mummpizz or anyone really) than they're welcome to.

This is kind of my farewell post. My PM runs out tomorrow and I don't really want to renew it, considering that since I 'lost' my computer in December I haven't even really thought of TORC.

I still pop in every once in a while...probably in October, just to see if MOME goes into its 4th (?) year.

Farewell! :cry2: :| Kind of I suppose.
dawnnamira
Ranger of the North

Postby JewelSong » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:35 pm

BUMP!

:D

With everything going on, I don't want this very valuable thread to get lost in the shuffle!
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:13 pm

dawn!!! :D

I'll work on a profile for you. If you really want me to tell all...... ;)

Make sure you stop back!

:)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:16 am

As per dawn's request... :D

-------------------------------

Name: dawnamira, semi-surviving member except she is currently computer-less

Age when joined: young whippersnapper

Names known by: dawn

Stance on PJ’s LOTR: Must have liked it well enough to hang out around the likes of this place.

Description: First joined TORC as samwisegamgee_is_rad. This was too long of a name for the rest of us to remember, let alone type out. While vacationing on the magical island of Minardilia, SamGamgeeWise_is_Bad was renamed dawnamira by our benevolent ruler and big cheese. This was easily shortened to dawn and finally we all knew who she was.
dawn was a regular m00bie lurker sometimes poster, whose favorite past time was participating in the MOME pageants. Although she thinks samwisegamgee_is_rad, she always sponsored Saruman in the pageant. Go figure.
Added: dawn likes wearing black leather.
Added: dawn also has a thing for Theodred.

Nominations and Awards: MOME 2003 Best Blogger Award; MOME 2004 Coffee Achiever Award.
Last edited by Tookish_Traveler on Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:40 am

The thread's been made a sticky! :D Yay! (Thank you!)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby kams » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:48 am

dawn was a regular m00bie lurker sometimes poster, whose favorite past time was participating in the MOME pageants. Although she thinks samwisegamgee_is_rad, she always sponsored Saruman in the pageant. Go figure.

Thanks Tooks! Nice of you to post a profile for dawn.

*sigh* I thought MOME was great. Hope she gets a 'puter before October 05 "MOME IV" I vote for a fireworks competition and poetry contest. Sauron would fare well in both these events!
kams
Rider of the Mark

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:26 am

kams wrote:*sigh* I thought MOME was great. Hope she gets a 'puter before October 05 "MOME IV" I vote for a fireworks competition and poetry contest. Sauron would fare well in both these events!

Aye, he would. And if they were to have a long fingernail contest Saruman would win hands down! :lol:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby sh_wulff » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:53 am

Aye, he would. And if they were to have a long fingernail contest Saruman would win hands down!

that would be a HANDY award to have

*snerk*
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:45 am

Dawn .. I hope you come back at times! :D
You're a lot of fun.! 8)
If not, I'm sure I'll see you at WOTR. :wink:

Thanks Tookish_Traveler for writing her profile. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby maerantha » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:47 pm

Maerantha (surviving member):

Age or age group when joined: 34

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Very positive with some objections

How I came to be a poster on TORC
I am an episodic poster who tends to pop up after theatrical and DVD releases. I signed up after the theatrical release of TTT and the EE DVD release of FOTR, because I wanted to discuss them. At that time, I had intense discussions about the film and the book with some friends, and wanted to keep pursuing these discussions with like minded people online.

I read the trilogy for the first time at about age 11, or around 1979. I read it many times for the next few years and then put it down, a fond memory, but one that was fading into the background as my reading tastes moved on. Fast forward 18-19 years to 2000, when I heard the films were being released, I reread the novel, then again before the release of TTT and again before ROTK. I am now starting my fourth adult reread (with the Sil, then Hobbit then LOTR).

I have the whole EE DVD and am going through one last marathon of digesting and savoring the whole thing as a unified work, so I am now around more often.

I post about various things in books and movies as my interests take me. I have minored in the origins of orcs at times, and my notes are there on a lot of threads about this, and I also like the military analysis of the battles, and cultural analysis of the various peoples. The success of the adaptation is always an interesting read, but I tend to lurk rather than post.

My view of the films as films and in relation to the book

Overall the film trilogy is an amazing work of art, brilliant in its conception from script to casting/acting, design, language training, visual effects, to the incorporation of an incredible score. The entire filmmaking process was imbued with a devotion to the text that probably no adaptation has ever enjoyed (most don't anyway). Aragorn sings in unsubtitled Quenya at his coronation. etc., on and on. They truly cared about getting it right, and it could have been so, so much worse. Aruman anyone? I am very satisfied, and I must say that without PJ's adaptation, it is dicey I would have given the book a test drive as an adult reader. To my delight, it reads very well to my adult sensibility, and is not adolescent fantasy fare at all, (though it is the origin of nearly all modern fantasy, it itself is something much deeper).

I am not a purist; many changes have benefited the film as a film. For example I do not mind the substitution of Arwen for Glorfindel. It gives us something to care about for the later payoff of Arwen and Aragorn, and it prevents us from having to meet a minor character, in terms of plot, if not stature (great elf-lord), who never reappears; we book fans forget how many names the book virgins must keep straight. I know from watching FOTR with my wife. Another good change was Frodo's scene with Aragorn at Amon Hen. Since these two characters support the two main branches of bifurcated plot of the remainder of the book/film, this last moment in the film between the two actually tightens the plot and highlights the themes. Aragorn does say the line about following Frodo into the fires of Mordor in the book, he just doesn't say it to him. Many such changes were neutral or at least not too jarring.

However, when the book deviates in other respects I did get uncomfortable and it is hard to draw that line. I have some objections to the film, that I at long last have not been able to reconcile fully. But I have accepted them as part of the whole end product. The most serious objections I had were issues of character and plot. Faramir deciding to take the ring to Denethor and detouring to Osgiliath for the first time took me out of a general trust that I was watching the same story I knew and loved-- until then the deck chairs may have been rearranged, but the journey was the same. After that, I literally was in suspense with the virgins, because I didn't know what was going to happen anymore. Frodo sending Sam home in ROTK was another example of this. Some were issues of aesthetics: I think the POTD sequence for example, suffered, rather than benefitted, from being expanded in the EE: the skulls and Gimli blowing the ghostly mist away didn't add anything to a weak sequence and the added corsair scene only deflates and renders repetitious the arrival of the fleet at Pellenor. I have read the defenses of these things, but I finally cut to the quick by asking this: if these ideas had been abandoned like Arwen at HD and Aragorn battling Sauron (both excellent cuts) I would have been happy, and not arguing for their inclusion. I don't want them in the film.

[Aside: thank goodness nobody has had to "apologize" in thread after thread for the "need created by film narrative demands" to have Aragorn battle Sauron. I assume most of us are all just glad it didn't happen].

These things are a matter of taste. Elves at Helm's deep didn't bother me. The Saruman death scene either. Even the warg attack. Faramir did. What jolts a book fan out of that ineffable "true" experience will vary from person to person. Most of us I think, without lining up into the polarized camps that internet message boards are so prone to create (by rewarding extremism), take the changes as a whole, liking some, not minding others, disliking but tolerating some, or just downright hating some. The final analysis has to include an evaluation of the whole, putting everything in perspective, in my opinion.

But no human endeavor is perfect and the good so far outweighs the bad, that I can live with what I consider parts where the new storyteller "got the story wrong" particularly since we have not lost the original.

I am not a huggie, netspeakie type poster. But I appreciate the community here and the highest quality of the discussion.

In real life, I am a lawyer who specializes in international litigation, I live in Miami, FL with my wife and my eight week old son and a Yorkie. When not on a Tolkien bender, I enjoy history, particularly military history, politics, literature, weightlifting, and getting out on the water or the enjoying the beach.

Trivia: My name is my attempt to translate my mother's maiden name Caldwell from the Quenya.
maerantha
Shield Bearer

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:54 am

Bandobras Took (Surviving Member)

Age or age group when joined: 30

General stance on Jackson's LOTR: My original stance was one of a "wait and see" attitude. I knew nothing of Peter Jackson and Co. and after viewing his early movies (The Frighteners, Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles... )I was a bit skeptical of this little-known director from New Zealand.

After seeing all of his LotR movies countless times, especially the Extended Editions, I have become an unabashed fan of Peter Jackson and his cohorts( I am pretty excited about King Kong, aren't you?). I believe they have achieved greatness in their endeavor to bring JRR Tolkien's LotR to the silver screen. There are shortcomings to be sure, but I have a healthy respect and admiration for these amazing people who put so much time and effort into three movies.

How I came to Be a Poster on Torc
Five years ago, after veiwing Heavenly Creatures I admit my curiousity was picqued. A great movie, with excellent visuals featuring an amazing debut by Kate Winslet. But this was during my initiation to message boards, and more importantly, my introduction to freaqboy.

I first met freaqboy at the Force of Hobbit website at E!Online.

And what a meeting we had.

He is the first person I ever met online that could convey anger so well, when he was pissed, you knew it, because he meant for you to know it.

I was one of many LotR fans at the FoH messageboards, who were distraught at the rumors of Arwen wielding a sword at Helm's Deep ( of which we know was part of PJ's original plan but was later scrapped when the uproar of fans around the world became known, coupled with the fact Liv Tyler could not wield a sword and face the orcs racing towards her). freaqboy was the first revisionist I ever met. Heck, he was a revisionist before the title ever was conceived. We argued (unmoderated I might add) till we were blue in the face about the merits of XenArwen at Helm's Deep and XenArwen at the Fords... while all of this was going on we monitored what was going on at other sites, one of these was www.theonering.net and another was www.theonering.com. I joined both websites, but more importantly, I joined Torc within a day or two of freaqboy, mostly because I wanted to be the balancing voice from his clear ringing revisionist one.

Within days of joining Torc, freaqboy and I were arguing about the feasibility of orcs wearing plate metal armor in Middle Earth, and I got the courage up to write my first farcical post mocking PJ from an orcs point of view having to slog it from the Falls of Rauros to the fields of Rohan in plate armor. I was even noticed by none other than the great Whistler!
After my 1000 post congratulatory thread started by TLE (in which Whistler, Hama and Telemachos participated), and then when I went to the Hollywood Torcmoot in 2004, being noticed by Whistler in those early days was perhaps my brightest day on Torc. He had after all, just posted THE FILMARILLION: Regarding the Making Of the Megabucks which upon reading I instantly knew I was in the presence of genius.

Well, freaqboy, being the talented bundle he is went on and started a little thread known as Project W.I.N.K.L.E , which esconced him forever into the legend of Torcdom.

Me?

I slogged through an undergraduate degree program in which I am finally graduating from this year.

Pre-med if you must know.

Anyways, I have maintained a love/hate relationship with Torc, meaning at times I have loved this place and have been hated by some, and at other times... vice versa. Still, this site holds a very special place in my heart... and it always will.

I was there, I witnessed magic when freaqboy started his famous (or is it infamous?) parody of Peter Jackson's take on LotR. I witnessed some amazing threads started by Whistler and Hama as well.

Yet, school and my family always seemed to call me away from Torc, and then there was that awful time period when Whistler was attacked for his views on Christianity and Tolkien. Look it up if you don't remember it, but it was an ugly time at Torc. I left Whistler and Torc high and dry then, mostly because I didn't know how to defend him. Luckily, he did, and many others came to his side in due time. I was absent from Torc for several months, waiting, impatiently for anything other than a Force of Hobbit monthly update from E!Online about the comings and goings at Peter Jackson's various shooting sites in New Zealand. The only thing worse was reading the rantings and ravings over at Torn from Tehanu about what she had possibly seen from afar with her binoculars in the freezing rain.

The one thing I did know was that something was going on, you could feel it in all of the websites, you could feel in all the postings at the various MBs.

Every once in a while I would lurk at Torc, just to see what was going on with that zany thread freaqboy had started. I would wish to contribute and I would marvel at the ingenuity and humor that had been created by all the wonderful posters at Torc. And I would laugh long and hard with the hilarity Whistler created, but school continued to tug at me, as did real life.

And so I was lost to Torc for a time.

Finally, December 19th, 2001 arrived and Peter Jackson unveiled his interpretation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring. I had heard that there would be midnight viewings of this film, and granted after reading Moriarty's stunning, breathtaking review of roughly 30 minutes of film he was allowed to see, my curiousity was definitely picqued... but midnight viewings??? COME ON! What movie could possibly warrant such hysteria????

I still managed to get to the first matinee viewing of FotR with my wife on December 19th. It was at 12:50PM in the only theatres Napa, California offer.

I remember my wife crying at the end... and though I was crying myself, I had to ask why she was ( I knew why I was, I was sad for Frodo and Sam in their upcoming endeavors to get through the Marshes, as well as Merry and Pippen's in Rohan). She told me that she felt bad for the Hobbits, for what they had gone through, and she knew it was only going to get worse. I had after all, read her the Trilogy during her pregnancy with my first son in 1997, so she knew the story. That was when I started to realize that PJ had really nailed some of the emotional aspects of LotR so well.

That was the first of four viewings of FotR for me. This coming from a man who had seen less than a handful of movies a couple of times in the theatre.

The fourth time I went I took my Dad, who declared afterwards,

"That was maybe the best movie I've ever seen."

I didn't know until that point, if it was my own Tolkien views crowding in or not, if these were good movies or not. Seriously, I wanted to be sure.

I had been trying for nearly twenty years to get my Dad to read Tolkien's LotR, to no avail. He had his preconceived notions about LotR, and this was a man who had turned me onto Herbert's Dune series, Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, not mention Roman mythology as a young boy as well as Dumas' The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.

For some reason, my father had the notion that Gandalf and Hobbits were cheesy.

Go figure.

After viewing PJ's version of FotR, my father became an instant fan of Tolkien and Hobbits and Gandalf. He has since read LotR, and loves it.

I fell in love with many aspects of PJ's LotR, but to be honest, I absolutely despised some others.

Don't get me started on Flaming Nazgul at Weathertop. The five Nazgul bested by a Man???? What was PJ thinking?

Or the fact that because of the Force of Hobbit updates, I knew that The Giftgiving had been filmed, but was not included in the theatrical version of FotR???? What insanity was this???

How about Strider letting the Ringbearer go, unaided into Emyn Muil and BEYOND???? What would the Professor have thought???

So began my second career at Torc. I arose from my lurking phase and I came out of the woodworks of Torc.

Where was freaqboy?

No where to be seen. Gone it seemed, in the wake of the banning of Kelannar. What has happened to either poster since that time period I often wonder.

But in freaqboy's place, like the head of the hydra which was cut, was a new brethren, led by none other than the King of the Revisionists, Iavas_Saar, and anchored by Arpharazon along with such greats as Democritus, Xhen, Magpie, Gungnir and roaccarcson among many other notables.

I jumped into the fray, having crafted my skill at Torc-fu from long days of lurking and proceeded to Torc off many revisionists. To put it nicely, Iavas and I did not get along for quite a tumultuous time, we were like oil and water. I could not understand how someone could look at PJ's movies through those ruby red lenses all the time, and we argued long and hard enough to make some of my early arguments with freaqboy pale in comparison. In the process, I met and became friends with such amazing posters as Hama, Mithfanion, Beleg, Tuor, Saranthir, and Razorback to name just a few notables from that side of the fence.

I especially remember when the great theLidlessEyes tried to moderate between Iavas and myself, trying get me to note Ten Things I Loved about TTT and Iavas to post Ten Things He thought weren't good about TTT or some such, in a noble effort to get us to meet on common ground.

Thanks for that effort TLE, it was not all in vain.

I used to think that I was abhorred by the majority of the community here at Torc, and I know I certainly did my share to Torc off many of them. I must also add that since those early days when it was purist vs revisionist across the boards, I have since become friends with many revisionists (and pragmatists as well). Democritus, Voronwe, Telemachos, finarfin, Bernd and thedaimonlucifer spring to my mind directly. I must say that it warms my heart greatly to have been invited by the heralded Iavas_Saar to post in this thread. Indeed, it is an honor to be listed with such luminaries as Iavas, freaqboy, Hama, Whistler, Telemachos, Bernd, Democritus, NiennaSorrowing along with too many others to name, a multitude of wonderful posters who have contributed to this amazing website.

I am saddened to see the lessening of this website this past couple of months, so many posters will be sorely missed.

It is strange to know that Iavas or TLE among many others will not be roaming these vaunted halls of Torc, filling it with their cheer and their many well thought out posts. It makes me feel a bit like Frodo, at the end of Peter Jackson's RotK, as he wanders the halls of Bag End and ruminates about how to go on with life.

Indeed it makes me feel quite sad.

Yet maybe, Torc will be here, slogging on, hopefully until we rouse ourselves for the making of PJ and Co's The Hobbit, which as dudalb is always quick to tell you, " Won't be for a very long time!"

Cheers to all of you Torcers, those who are here now and those who can only lurk, whether because of some self imposed limits or because you have been banned and can no longer join in.

You have all influenced me in so many positive ways, indeed you have all broadened my horizons.

Thanks for the memories and the great times here at Torc.

You are all a part of me.
Last edited by Bandobras Took on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bandobras Took
Ranger of the North

Postby Whistler » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:28 pm

Your check is in the mail, Bandobras.
Whistler
Ranger of the North

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:20 am

:D

Lovely post, Bandobras. :)

I love this thread. :)
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Bandobras Took » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:21 am

8)
Bandobras Took
Ranger of the North

Postby Mammo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:44 pm

Well I guess I had better have a shot at this.. I see Vynaca has beaten me to it..which is usually the case!

I have loved Tolkien since my teens and read the trilogy without fail once a year, never growing tired of it. When Vynaca was growing up I read her The Hobbit and was thrilled to see her take up LOTR without me pushing her ( well not too much! )

It was in fact, Vynaca, who stumbled upon TORC quite by accident just before the first movie came out. She nagged me until I started to lurk and once lurking, I became hooked. This was the time of the flame wars where Kelannar took on all comers until his ban... and instead of a blissful calm descending over mOObs, the orlylovers hit. My first impression of Movies was a kind of scary place even without Kel, where Bernd and Leo took no prisoners when some unlucky teen declared " i luv elijah adn i wnat 2 hav his babees ".

Who would think that Leo would be the first torcer I met in real life and Bernd would become my son in law?

Apart from such frivolous commentary, what amazed me about movies was the quality of the discussion. The knowledge, the passion, the clarity and of course the humor. I am still in awe of Whistler, Hama, Akallabeth, Telemachos and so many others. There was a time when I had a copy of LOTR at work and a copy at home so I could check myself before I posted.. it would be required!

For my part, I was thrilled to be part of Movies for a couple of years. I have met many of the posters I admired so much around the country and in the UK and have found friends and family among them. I met Torcers in Philadelphia, Boston, New York, London and Los Angeles. Each time was special but I think one of the high spots was a trip to LA to celebrate Vynaca and Bernd's engagement - when Jsavfusco met Billy Boyd and Elijah Woods at LAX baggage claim, where I finally met Ateelah, one of my first friends on TORC, where SonofDrogo missed the start of the movie and text messaged us from an adjacent theater and where the bad kids of Movies, Vynaca and Bernd met up with the "Light Lords of TOrc ", Jon, Ted and DavidM. A memorable occasion.

It was bittersweet to see the last of the movies released and know there was no more anticipation, no more speculation and discussion but like the saying goes, I am not going to mourn because it's over but rejoice because I was there!

Thanks Jon and Ted... for so much :)

Mammo
Female
Age... no way am I sharing that and don't even think about weight :evil:
Like Finarfin, a pragmatist all the way
Brought into the fold by Vynaca of Mirkwood
Nominations and Awards? yup.. more of one than the other :)
Mammo
Ranger of the North

Postby aninkling » Thu May 05, 2005 7:38 am

I visited last night to see what people had to say about the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film, checked in here for old times' sake and was surprised to see my name on Iavas' list - and pleased to see some familiar people have stopped by to add their bio (Hi jeanelf and Mammo!) So here goes...

aninkling (mostly - but not completely - dead)

Age when joined: mid-30s
Most well-known 'title': None
Alter ego: Farmer_Maggot
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Love the visuals, music and some of the acting/characters ( particularly Gandalf in the first two films and Bilbo) but otherwise the adaptation falls short of my hopes. I would have preferred a more subtle, less "over the top" interpretation.

Description: I read the books when I was about 12 and have loved them ever since. Was thoroughly embarrassed later - while I was still young enough to be easily embarrassed - when I saw the Rankin-Bass "Return of the King" on television and realized (1) *that* was what people would think I liked and (2) I was never going to get the song "Frodo of the Nine Fingers...and the Ring of DOOOOM" out of my head. (I was right about point #2, though I was wrong about #1, thanks to PJ). I promptly decided never to admit to anyone that LotR was one of my favorite books. But in 2001 I heard a rumor that LotR was going to be made into a faithful non-cartoon adaptation. I haunted the front page of TORC and dragged my husband to the opening night of FotR. He, a Tolkien newbie, couldn't really understand why his normally sane wife was foaming slightly at the mouth after that first viewing. (I've mellowed some since!) So I found my way to the TORC messageboard the next day, wondering if anyone else shared my acute disappointment. My first look at the forum answered THAT question... shall we just say "purist/revisionist wars"? I lurked for a bit then decided to put in my 2 cents worth. I tried to register at least 10 times with carefully-thought-out names but the system was being flooded with new requests and it kept telling me my choice was already taken. In my frustration, I started to try random words in elvish - so I'm probably lucky I didn't accidentally end up with something like "tree sloth." Finally succeeded with "an Inkling", since I do a lot of professional writing (alas, science, not novels). Unfortunately, I was too stupid to realize I could use spaces or capitals in the name so it's possible some people still think I *did* just type in a bunch of random letters. My first post was in one of those incredibly long threads where I said nothing even slightly profound and was rightfully ignored by most of the participants. I didn't realize what a blessing that was until much later, when Iavas and I got into an argument, what seemed like dozens of his supporters leaped in to support him, and I wondered what I'd gotten myself into! Mostly, I remember that first thread because Telemachos was welcoming and kind to me.

I've been here off and on over the years, when I had time. Once in a while, I had something to say. Mostly I've lurked and enjoyed the discussions and debates. Though I've had a few moments of frustration (AKA "snarling"), mostly it was refreshing to find such a group of articulate, clever, funny people with a passion for Tolkien and a talent for debate. You've certainly kept me on my toes and made me think. At the same time, I was thrilled to meet people who understood what "42" meant and why it's important to know the velocity of an unladen swallow. I enjoyed the silliness of the first MOME and, since no one had sponsored poor Farmer Maggot, the good farmer talked me into letting him come along, enjoy the party and, hopefully, mystify a few people as to his real identity.

I'm not going to single anyone out, because if we've talked you probably know who you are and I don't want to leave any of you out - besides, I've had so little to say that I probably 'know' many of you better than you know me - but I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed the insights, good laughs and the occasional chats about tea, music and various other things. Good luck to you all and maybe we'll meet again.
aninkling
Rider of the Mark

Postby TheWagner » Sun May 29, 2005 4:58 pm

I have not looked at movies in nearly 17 months, but given that I used to contribute there and to books, I thought that I’d belatedly toss in my 2 cents.

theWagner
Gender (actually, it's sex): Male
Age when joined: 36
Most well-known 'title': I was called “arrogant academic” by long-since banned ignoramus of ill-repute because I do not accept that some people’s ignorance is just as good as my knowledge! For the most part, people called me Wagner…..
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Ideal adaptations, in that they focused on the story (i.e., the larger meaning of the whole tale) and strove to correct the obvious flaws (e.g., extraneous narrative, a couple of glaring idiot plots, and Tolkien’s utterly unreal iconization that he used in place of real characters). For the most part, I thought that the movies improved, although I did think that RotK was burdened a bit by adhering too much to the book’s narrative. Still, the movies were like the books in that the parts done right were so enjoyable that any misgivings I had about other scenes/chapters fell by the wayside.

History:

I stumbled onto this site looking for info about the movies. I occasionally posted in books and movies, increasingly so after the movies came out. I had a blast with the box office threads – being an applied statistician, it opened up an world of data and patterns to analyze. I argued a bit with purists and irritated a few people by stressing that Tolkien’s books are considered to be literary equivalents of Britney Spears in most erudite circles.

The only place I post anymore is on the Harry Potter threads. Indeed, those remind me of the great fun we had speculating on what would be in the Silmarillion many, many ages ago, shortly after I first discovered Tolkien. (The big difference being, of course, that we have anything resembling clues when it comes to upcoming Rowling books!)

TORC was fun, for the most part, although as an academic, I found the brazen ignorance and disrespect for knowledge expressed by some to be rankling. Still, I found the insights and thoughtfulness of the majority of the people to be intellectually stimulating, and I did take pleasure in getting to know a few people here. I particularly enjoyed discussions with Arphy, Rads, jsav, Iavas, Lord M, Magpie, Nienna, etc. I also learned a lot about movies from Marty. (Also, it gave me something to do while running analyses on the background of my computer!)

Alas, unless The Hobbit is filmed soon, I do not expect that I shall again post in movies....
TheWagner
Ranger of the North

Postby TreeMos » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:06 am

TreeMos

Age or age group when joined: Late 20's
Most well-known 'title': Ummmm... Tree?
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Many moments of sheer brilliance surrounded by a few moments of awkwardness and inappropriateness. With increasing quality from FOTR to ROTK. Overall a terrific effort, despite a few flaws.

History:
I was a refugee from the mess that was the TORN msg boards. After about a year of lurking I entered the fray, sporatically at first. But with more enthusiasm by the arrival of TTT in movie form. Shortly there after I started work on my Geekdom Tour-de-force: A complete analysis and discertation on what the ROTK movie would contain or leave on the cutting room floor. Probably about 20000 words and several pages long complete with dozens of links to every screenshot and bit of article evidence available. Ofcourse in the end I was about 80% wrong :P but it was an awful lot of fun to work on and keep myself distracted from the awful wait for ROTK to arrive.

I also got caught up in many of the first few Theme Months, with the exception of the MOME months, which were just a little too wierd for me :roll: My favorite, and the one I thought up the idea for and started the thread for was Mass Marketing and Merchandizing Month. So many of the sig pics were just tremendously clever and funny. They are mostly gone from the original thread but thankfully you can see almost all of them in this wonderful archive created by Myst_28 at this site.

When ROTK finally came out I saw it for the first time with some of my fellow Philly-area TORCers. Jsavfusco is the one I remember but there were atleast 4 or 5 others. A month or 2 later was the first and highly memorable Philadelphia TorcMoot. We watched the movie again and then decended on the local Dave & Busters restaurant with cameras a-flashing :) Much fun was had by all. Sadly I had to leave earlier then most. But not before I was charmed by the lovely Arwen-like eLwEnaReDhEl. We never met again but did engage in many wonderful IM chats filled with laughter, general naughtiness, and Monty Python quoting :wink:

She also encouraged me to visit Manwe for the philosophical and polititcal debates going on there. I was easily sucked in and the void that was created with the completion of the last film was nicely filled again. Moobies threads started to go neglected as I mostly lurked but sometimes leapt into the political fray. Particularly a thread on gun control where Mighty_Squid and I held off the formidable Cenedril_Gildinaur as best we could. And ofcourse any thead for complaining about W and his administration was a favorite destination (excuse the accidental mini-poem). But after the thoroughly dissapointing elections of November 2004, I was too depressed to deal with the triumphant right-wingers and dropped out of TORC for the most part.

I still come back every now and then for the non-tolkien book and movie threads. Especially the GRR Martin book thread since he's my #2 favorite author. This is my first post in Movies for atleast half a year if not more. I just don't have the enthusiam for it I used to. Although this thread is pretty terrific I must admit.

But if a Hobbit movie is ever confirmed in development... I'll be back in a big way :)
Last edited by TreeMos on Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TreeMos
Rider of the Mark

Postby eLwEnaReDhEl » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:01 am

Wow...what a coincidence I just decided to come see what was going on in this forum today.

And look who posted before me? I was wondering if anybody had remebered me :P

...because I don't remember many people on the list you made Iavas :P.

I never really posted in this forum, so I'll leave it up to Iavas whether you add me onto the list. But since you added a few other spammers, recognition for my spammyness for my first few weeks would be nice. Bernil actually came out to talk to me back then. It wuz sweEt!!1

EDIT: TREEMOS!!!!1111
eLwEnaReDhEl
Mariner

Postby Dunthule » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Nice to see some friends from the past. :)

Where's Iavas???? :?:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:46 am

I think there is a thread about that somewhere. Suffice it to say he is not here anymore.
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby TreeMos » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:09 am

eLwEnaReDhEl wrote:EDIT: TREEMOS!!!!1111

Who... me? Nice to see you too Elwen :) I also was rather surprised Iavas left you off the list. I thought you were a legend around here. Well, imfamous atleast. Its been ages - give me a write or IM sometime.
TreeMos
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tinsel_the_Elf » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:48 pm

It's been many, many months since I've checked out TORC, and I don't anticipate becoming a regular again anytime soon, but I did want to leave my small mark on M00bies history. :)

Tinsel_the_Elf (Mostly Past Member)

Age or age group when joined: 26
Most well-known 'title': "Tinsel" (*sparkling*, *clinquant*, *n00bile*)
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I view the movies as a cinematic interpretation of the books and, overall, I love them both as adaptations and for themselves. They're terrific films!

Description: (in her own words)

I lurked on TORC briefly before the Fellowship of the Ring even came out, and used it to hunt for spoilers before the release of The Two Towers. But it wasn't until August 2003 when I was left howling by the Mass Marketing Month signatures that I registered and bought myself a PM in order to flex my Photoshop skills in September's Movies Crossover month. Like any good n00bie of the time I was fresh meat for Bernd in my very first thread, though I accidentally killed him in the process (he got better.). I won some dubious notoriety for sponsoring an un-neutered bar cat (from PJ's scene in the Prancing Pony!) as a contestant in the MOME II pageant and walked away with an award for Best Shakespearean Performance. Many of my best sig pics are from these times and can be found here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/manonlechat/album?.dir=9b23&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos.

I was lucky enough to meet Mighty_Squid in person at an Andy Serkis signing in New York City, and again with several other TORCers the following January. I had strongly disliked Liv Tyler and her performance as Arwen in the films until a couple of these nice people suggested that I bore a very slight resemblance to her, afterwhich I took a more enlightened view toward Liv's radiant beauty and screen presence. :D

A difficult personal crisis severely curtailed my presence at TORC during much of 2004 and even after its resolution I realized that, like all good elves, as M00bies entered its post-RotK/Fourth Age I had already diminished and drifted West.

I loved these boards, had fun times with many posters and was impressed by the depth of thought, feeling, humour and humanity that so many people brought to these Tolkien-generated discussions. The wide range of ages, beliefs, nationalities, and backgrounds enriched this community. Several discussions and threads I have bookmarked and kept, and I treasure them.

Special affection goes out to thedaimonlucifer, sylthian, Squiddy, Voronowe and Texas_Hobbit for the role they had in forming my fond TORC memories. I still sw00n for Whistler!

Awards:
* Best Shakespeare (MOME 2003)

Nominations:
* Best N00bie (TORCies 2004)

My email is NerdanelWise@aol.com should anyone wish to say hello.

Love you all. Tinsel out. :)
Tinsel_the_Elf
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings