M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby ateelah » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:33 pm

It's been months since I last visited TORC, possibly as long as a year. I remember during MOME-2004 I ended up losing track of Harry before the end of the competition. I hardly ever get online anymore but I popped on today and felt humbled to be included in the list of names in Iavas' first post. I scrolled through, recognizing the names of many partners in crime - Alys, Mammo, Tooks, & duffster to name a few. I will have to think about what I want to say in my own profile but it's lovely to see old friends again!
ateelah
Ranger of the North

Postby Ciaran_Gabriel » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:26 pm

Aw, that's nice to see that someone remembered me. ^_^ I sort of dropped out of internet Tolkien fandom after the last DVD came out. But I will never lose interest in Tolkien an LOTR. I just had to move on to something else to speculate about and pick apart. :wink: . I mean, I spent all those years leading up to the release of the first film, and all the years while they were being released talking about ALL KINDS of stuff relating to Tolkien. I'll probably have a revival of fandom again someday.
Ciaran_Gabriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Valdagor » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:55 am

I'm honored to have been included in the list. I haven't been back here for well over a year. Thanks.
Valdagor
Ranger of the North

Postby Valdagor » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:18 pm

Valdagor

Sex: Yes, please.
Joined: April 2002, at least that's what it says over to the left there.
Age or age group when joined: a/s/ l? You don't need to know this.
Most well-known 'title': No idea.
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: I thought the films were excellent in spite of, not because of, Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens.

Description: Antagonistic.
Valdagor
Ranger of the North

Postby Mighty_Squid » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm in a mood today . . ..
Mighty_Squid
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:24 pm

Might I suggest finding theeric and getting a big hug. :)
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby kevincmurphy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Wow. I've been away -- and put this off -- for far too long. Thanks, someone out there, for remembering me. :)

kevincmurphy

Age or age group when joined: 29
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Loved it. Sure, there are key moments I'd like to see added ("Come back, to Mordor we will take you," "It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger"), others I would have removed (most notably the Denethor-smack)...but overall, I feel it was so much better than I ever expected. I've loved the trilogy since I was a kid, and I feel the movies -- particularly Fellowship -- made that child in me smile, as no other film has in decades. I will go there, and back again.

Description: I arrived late to the scene here, and generally kept quiet, but was consistently impressed by the depth, passion, profundity, and civility of the m00bie threads. When the RotK:EE came out, I managed to procure an early copy, play Marty for a few days, and offer up the news good (VoS) and bad (MoS). :) I now live over at Ghost in the Machine and welcome visitors, and particularly Tolkienites, to my hearth and home anytime. ;)
kevincmurphy
Shield Bearer

Postby Kingasaurus » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:03 am

Name: Kingasaurus

Age when joined: Over 21

Stance on PJ’s LOTR: Very positive with minor complaints. Definitely in the "best we could have hoped for" and "could have been much worse in the hands of another" camps.

Description: Joined after stumbling here. Lurked and participated in many excellent discussions, for which I am eternally grateful to many of you. I have been almost entirely absent from this site since the release of the ROTK:EE, but I have great memories.

I'm a man of few words unless the mood strikes me, but I do have one last comment on the films. The fact that Grima stabbing Saruman was his actual cause of death made the inclusion of the RSWD somewhat bearable. Especially considering I was one of the loudest people screaming "hoax!" for the longest time. Those were the days.

Be well. I'll be checking in occasionally.
Kingasaurus
Rider of the Mark

Postby ateelah » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Name: ateelah (semi-retired)
Age when joined: Old enough

Stance on PJ’s LOTR: I’m an unabashed pragmatist. I would have liked to have seen the book filmed the way I had envisioned it but I still enjoyed the films immensely. As a librarian, I also appreciate the renewed interest in Tolkien’s works generated by the films. I can now mention “Lord of the Rings” and not be met with blank, uncomprehending stares.

Description: I was actually posting on another MB when I found out about the PJ’s LOTR. One of the frequent posters there was an extra in the film. It was with great excitement, and some trepidation, that I started to follow the news about FOTR. TORC was mentioned by some posters on the other board so I checked it out. I registered to receive the online newsletter over a year before I finally registered to use the MB. It was Ancalagon the Black's Complete List of Film Changes that finally inspired me to participate.

Over the years I’ve participated in many m00bie discussions, sponsored Harry Goatleaf in several MOME contests and even participated in several famous, and infamous, swooning threads. I was a cheerleader in the first ever Moderator Death Match and even fostered a few n00bies along the way. I may not participate as often as I used to but I will always appreciate being able to share my thoughts and feelings with others who actually understood what I was talking about.

Nowadays, I spend a lot of time taking pictures when I'm not working in the library. If you get a chance, check out my photostream, wanderingnome, on Flickr.
ateelah
Ranger of the North

Postby Ciaran_Gabriel » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:46 pm

Since I'm visiting again after a long time, and I might end up disappearing again, I'll put something down here.

Name: Ciaran_Gabriel
Age when joined: 23

Stance on PJ's LOTR:
I always said I was a "pragmatist". I had, and still do have, some issues with various interpretations, edits, cuts, and additions, but overall, I loved the movies, particularly FOTR, and I consider them to be a great artistic and cinematic achievement. They're far from perfect, but damn good.

Description:

I started gravitating to this forum after always hearing about how "TORC" was this evil place where people griped about everything. XD Turns out, it was one of the most fun, intelligent, and creative communities for Tolkien out there. I was never one of the really well-known people here (at least I don't think), but I'll never forget some of the lively discussions and personalities here. I must admit I contributed tirelessly to the "Lord of the Pants" threads. ;) It was also fun meeting some people from the Californian guild at a TTT SE meeting, although I'll never forget the horror of trying to drive to Ramona in the dark and barely making it.
I still have my "TolkienOnline" T-shirt which now means nothing. XD
Ciaran_Gabriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi; I used to be Amphiaraus without the Bis. I tried to post a self-profile here yesterday and got a message saying I'd used a forbidden word, but was completely unable to figure out what the word was. At any rate, the message said that the reply had been sent to the Mods, and I'm hoping it still exists and might be posted here some time soon.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back, even without my old post count! Hello to anyone who knew me once.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Me, Myself and I

Postby falton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 am

[Excellent movie by the way, I love Jim Carey]

Hi Iavaas, how you doin'?

You say you want my profile, but you don't say which one, left or right? My left is so much more mysterious than my right, that's the one I'll give ;)

Join Date: April 2001 even though I lurked a few months before.
Year of Birth: 1978
Generali Stance on the movies: happy with in the end (who woulda thought hey?)

I used to make long purist argumented posts about how every disgression we knew was going to make it in the movies, and tried to show how Arwen at the Fords, or Hatched Orcs were not in character with Tolkien's novel.

I used to debate with hard-core Revisionists (you, Leonides) and pragmatists, even had an argument with Kelannar once. I also used to joke a lot, I loved Hama, Whistler, GM's, Mister Bunny (who's french just like me) because they were generally very funny. I was in cyber-love (if such a thing exists) with NiennaSorrowing (I'm still her Knight btw). TVNachos ;) was also one of my favourites as was WildWood_The_Chocolate_Goddess.

I was in New Jersey in 2001, far from home, I'm now back in Paris, almost wedded and about to have a baby girl.

To Cerin: Thank you for remembering me!
falton
Rider of the Mark

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:19 pm

Amphiaraus Bis wrote:Hi; I used to be Amphiaraus without the Bis. I tried to post a self-profile here yesterday and got a message saying I'd used a forbidden word, but was completely unable to figure out what the word was. At any rate, the message said that the reply had been sent to the Mods, and I'm hoping it still exists and might be posted here some time soon.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back, even without my old post count! Hello to anyone who knew me once.

Hello, Amphiaraus! I have myself just started posting some at TORC again after a long absence (I can mostly be found at http://www.thehalloffire.net) but I definitely remember you well. I enjoyed your posts very much, and hope to have more interaction with you!
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Name: Amphiaraus (now Bis)
Age when joined: 35

Stance on PJ's LOTR:

Rabid revisionist, mainly due to a strong belief in the importance of acknowledging the enormous inherent differences between the media of prose myth and film. Above all, a vehement supporter of the PJ/FW/PB Arwen.

Description:

Came over from TORN at the end of the second age, and was instantly captivated. Drifted away just before Ragnarok on Movies, but remember Simon Cowell very, very fondly. Voronwe was my favorite poster, and I was honored beyond measure to have been nominated by him as best noob. Remained quirky, posted in Manwe about early Christianity, and then went into the sunset.

Returned, hopefully permanently, 3/2007, with the imminent arrival of LOTRO.

Hi, everybody I used to know!
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Arvegil » Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 am

I was kind of hoping that the release of "Children of Hurin" would jumpstart the interest more than it has. Oh, well...

Just peeking in now, really. Always mucked over at VTSG and "books." Still interesting to see the well done preservation of the board at its peak.

We all so need a "Hobbit" movie... :)
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

THE DWARF!

Postby The_Dwarf » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:31 am

Hello, here are the profile of THE DWARF!

Is logging on as writings on Nightrunner forums as before antedating TORCs for explains as where is wrong of thinkings of brian of manys and others as to makings of movies Tolkien or otherwises. Whens is finishings of that forums is then finds ways to TORC where is quicks of showing as alls as is to see that THE DWARF is...
    1. Knows alls about Movies
    2. Knows alls about Tolkien
    3. Is quicks as becomes sex symbols for all ladies (plus some man and goats) on forum.
Is THE DWARF receives manys of offers of marriage and the other from forumers but is turning down as is waiting for Widdlecob. Is now seeing as is FOOL as THE DWARF as Widdlecob is not of the interest and is dieing hair yellow! If the continues of interests of ladies of THE DWARF is avails and is owns of bicycle with own pump and knows end of Harry Potts and Deadly Hollow so is to emailings!

Is the respect of alls on forums as is always settle of any arguments as to makings of movies or texts of Tolkien - even when rippings off of Sturlusson dwarf namings and characterstic for which is makings international petition of one million for stops of Tolkien.

THE DWARF is makes stop of posts on forum as is make outlaw of Internet in Kyrgyzstan as is encourages on-line goat-swappings. Is writings now as hides in underground cyber-cafe in Bishkek.

For the readings of the life and others of THE DWARF - make eyes at http://www.iamthedwarf.supanet.com/bio.htm

Is the TORC awards of THE DWARF!
    2000 - Best Newcomings
    2001 - Tolkien Expert of year
    2002 - Sexiest Kyrgyzstani
    2003 - Hairiest Goat
The_Dwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby Mighty_Squid » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Wow. I haven't been here in a long time.

Really I'm just posting this to find out how long,
Mighty_Squid
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:01 pm

SQWEEEEEEEE.....Squiddy. You left while I was on leave of absence and when I saw you posting, I was over the top. I hope you remember me. I sure remember YOU.

So many people are returning and though you say you are NOT...it has been way too long and I know you would be welcomed so warmly, I KNOW this.

Please reconsider Squiddy. I, of course, will understand, but, hey you can't blame a gal for tryin'. I miss you. I have asked for you.

I hope you will stick one slimy leg back into TORC waters.

:yippie:

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Mighty_Squid » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm freaky busy lately but I poke back every 6 months or so.

Still waiting on the Hobbit movie .......
Mighty_Squid
Ranger of the North

Postby Telemachos » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:39 am

Is this the place where all us old fogies -- staggering, zombie-like -- come to say hi?
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:50 am

Telemachos wrote:Is this the place where all us old fogies -- staggering, zombie-like -- come to say hi?

Yep.

:D

July is PAR-TAY month!!! We celebrate the return of TORC!!!!111

:D

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Angbasdil » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 am

***staggers in***

braaaaains...

uh... I mean... Hi! Image
Angbasdil
Ranger of the North

Postby andurilwest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 am

"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." -- Char Aznable
Last edited by andurilwest on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Aerin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:35 pm

The last four times that I popped in this thread, how the heck did I miss my name on the first page?? Oh well...

Username: Aerin
Age when joined: Sixteen
Stance: Heh... ultrapurist at first... see below.

Description:
I was a huge purist before FOTR came out - one of the old threads featured a quiz or something that determined where you fell on the purist/revisionist scale. I think I was in the top five for purists. :D

After FOTR came out I think I slid just a little towards the revisionist side - I could see, for instance, why PJ did AATF, mainly because introducing Glorfindel for five minutes would've been confusing. (To Tolkien-n00bs, of course, not to us!) TTT, however, knocked me right back into the purist camp, mainly because of Osgiliating Faramir.

ROTK... I don't know. Some of the changes were very good, some were okay, and I hated some (like Frodo sending Sam away on the Stairs). Now? I consider myself a purist with revisionist tendencies for certain parts. :D

I consider my crowning "moment" and my favorite thread in M00bies to be Blonde Elves, because it really highlights how geeky TORCers could get. What started as a short paragraph's rant by yours truly on the primary hair color of the Elves in a TV feature turned into a 7-page discussion of Elven genetics.
Aerin
Mariner

Postby summoned » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 am

Apparently the news that PJ will be involved in not one, but two Hobbit movies is making me feel sentimental, so I might as well indulge myself here.

Username summoned
Gender Male
Joined September 2000
Age when joined Somewhere around 30
Stance A lot more interested in a good movie than seeing a literal adaptation of a book I like immensely

Description My participation in these forums has obviously been sporadic at best, with Movies being probably about the third or fourth place I look. That being said, I read a lot of what is on here at some point, but rarely feel that anyone needs to hear what I think. For better or worse, TORC is the first forum I ever came across, and what I saw in the beginning, as I was lurking by March of 2000, is still the standard against which I measure pure entertainment on the interwebs. Which I recognize is largely a function of it coming first, but the inventiveness of Adam Weishaupt, Tharkun, Nienna, Master Samwise, Moonbiter, The Grey Pilgrim, and too many others who have escaped my memory at this time was what made me stick around in the beginning. And then there was Project W.I.N.K.L.E., which kept me coming back for quite a while. And then I got more interested in the discussions that dominated Philosophy, which was probably where I was most active on these forums. Somehow I have never left.
summoned
Rider of the Mark

Postby eborr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:27 pm

just re-read this thread

to quote "what was once is now lost"

a bit sad but we move on, have been fortunate enough to have met many of the posters - top people,,still waiting the Hobbit and with it hope that a spark will re-kindle the old flames.
eborr
Ranger of the North

Postby pavel ben pavelnash » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:37 am

Username: pavel ben pavelnash (formerly pavelnash)

Age when joined: 34

Stance: moderate revisionist, generally satisfied with the results but with a few real gripes. TTT gives me the most trouble, but there are some bits of RoTK that smell a bit too. And what the &*@!!?&? was all that shield- surfing, Mumak scaling @&*!**%? all about?

I lurked for quite a while before joining in and when I did I restricted my posts almost exclusively to Movies.
I had lots of fun with Hama, a couple of slap-downs from Kel, lots of warm fuzziness and encouragement from Diamond and Elmtree and inspiration from Whistler. I shared a love of chocolate with Wildwood.

I liked to play agent provocateur, often hiding my own position to get a rise out of one camp or the other. Oh! and I liked to write poems.
Then I left. My life took some strange turns and I lost interest in most things. Yes, even Tolkien!
But I'm back now and hope to stick around for a while.

I have no awards or nicknames (that I'm aware of)
pavel ben pavelnash
Shield Bearer

Postby SamwiseCat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Ahh the memories... I have not visited here in many years.

I forgot when I first came here, sometime before the first movie though.
SamwiseCat
Shield Bearer

Postby Mighty_Squid » Fri May 01, 2009 12:48 pm

It's been a few years and for some reason I still have Mod Powers but TORC was my first home and I remember quite fondly.

Still feels cuddly in here.
Mighty_Squid
Ranger of the North

Postby nazgurl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 am

I appears I was not memorable enough to have been listed on page 1. :rofl:

But that's okay! I'm back anyway after lo these many years away! Time to get on with discussions of The Hobbit.
nazgurl
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings