M00bies - A Community to Remember

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby Teremia » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:22 pm

This is one place, however, where an exception to that rule would seem reasonable and any possible harm structurally self-contained.

(If one thinks of this as a kind of archive or historical record, which seems to be the intention.)

Thanks for adding me to the list, Texas-Hobbit!
Teremia
Rider of the Mark

Postby oldtoby » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:30 pm

(in response to InnyE)

Well to use an old Navy term...

Roger that! :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby kkc » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Name: kkc
Age when joined: 34
Overall opinion of the movies: brilliant but not without flaws
Overall opinion of the books: brilliant but not without flaws

Description: a late in life LOTR fan, sadly unimaginative (hence the username), who generally avoids confrontations (hence the low number of posts). Marvels at the depth of Tolkien knowledge and the passion with which arguments are made. Confused why those who hate the movies commit so much of their time and energy to them. Enjoys matching up the dialogue in the movie to the text of the books. Envies the vast talents of the movie makers and the experiences they had while creating Middle Earth.
kkc
Shield Bearer

Postby InnocentEvil » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:01 pm

Unfortunately, Teremia, an exception can also be called a precedent and this isn't one we want to set. A ban has little point if the member still participates in one way or another.

I'm sure you all understand. This is how it is, however sad it makes us. No exceptions.
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Postby Iavas_Saar » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Post removed - there was nothing wrong with it, but it was the only way the thread would be unlocked.
Last edited by Iavas_Saar on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Dad-human » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:10 am

Dad-human surviving member

Age first posted: 49

Title and awards: none

Favorite postings: Rhyme Time in Tom's House

Opinion of movie: It's fun, and much better than I expected it to be.

Profile: I first read Tolkien in high school and liked him a lot. I then didn't read him for many years until I read the Narnia books to my children. I decided to check out Tolkien again. When I re-read his books, and read the Silmarillion for the first time, I discovered a depth of feeling and understanding which I had mostly missed before. Especially I think I could understand Tolkien much better because of my own experiences in my religion and in my family.

At this same time I was getting onto the Internet and I found out about the movie being made. I became a regular on another fan site. Sadly I had some conflict and misunderstanding with some of the people there and decided to move on.

I discovered TORC and have been posting here for about a year and a half, trying to be a nice person.[/b]
Dad-human
Ranger of the North

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:13 am

[Appluauds Iavas] :clap: :clap:

You know, Inny, I have always backed the administration of this site up, and have the utmost respect for its founders. This is one time, however, when I feel that you really are carrying the letter of the law too far.

It's also one of the few times I've had to bite my tongue to keep from saying something TOS-unfriendly! :roll:
Last edited by Sunsilver on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavas_Saar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:15 am

Pippin4242, I've added you to the list, so go ahead and submit a profile. :)

Voronwe, I guess you're not doing a personal description? It's okay if you don't want to, I'm sure there are plenty here who will want to sing your praises for you!

Cerin, thanks for the Kel bio, and I've added those posters you've suggested to the list. Would you want to comment on them further, or shall I just use your brief descriptions?

wilko and FTW, really glad to get profiles from you! :)

Texas-hobbit, thanks for all the extra suggestions. :) I've added them all except bird, who used to be noledge and who I'd already included. If you have any more suggestions, go ahead and do a new post, as I may not realise you've edited your old post.

Old_Tom, which of the three names you've used would you like to be your main name? I'll assume "Elwe_Goldenwing" unless you say otherwise.

edit - Sunsilver, thanks! :) Also, do you want to be added to the list?
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:50 am

Hmmm...well, I've never posted much in movies, Iavas. {Thinks for a minute} Well, I guess I did, at first, until the P-R wars got to be to tiresome. I see some people posting here who have 100 posts or less, so I guess I have enough to qualify.... :)

So, yes, if you would be so kind!
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Hama » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:30 am

Hama (surviving member) (Leastways I assume my member still survives)

Age or age group when joined: Same age as Hama
Most well-known 'title': "Hama"
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Ranging from a curates egg to a work of art to something I left far to long in the fridge.

Description: (according to Hama)

I joined a very long time ago, back when the internet was a series of very large caves. We used to bang rocks on the wall, and things got complicated when everyone tried to talk at once. So we came up with a packet system. Whoever held the woolly mammoth skull was the only one who was allowed to talk. But it took so long to get the skull from one part of the cave to another, we gave up on the whole banging rocks thing and invented talking instead.

I remember the old days of TORC, when no one was allowed to have any positive opinion of the upcoming film at all, and if you did, you got yourself ripped a new one! They were cheery days, cheery, but spiteful. Newbies were roasted alive, oldbies ate each other for breakfast and no one was allowed to diss Tolkien on pain of death. If you did not know who Lalia the Great was, if you could not name the entire line of the Numenorean kings (in order, with dates, ages and spouses), if you were at all hesitant concerning the nature of elvish ears (pointed or not, leaf like or not), BOY WERE YOU IN TROUBLE!

I have had my mongolian periods, my portuegese periods, my sardine periods, and my 'THE FILMS ARE FLAWED' periods, when I howled my angst from the rooftops and beat my breast all over the forum, before I was taken away to certain secure accomodations in Lowestoft! I have, in my time, crossed swords with purists, revisionists, pragmatists, sceptics, unabashed fanboys/girls, neo-cryptic goths, dwarves (2 of them), Steven Spielberg, John Forde/Horde, anybody who thought Braveheart a fair historical account, anybody who thought Braveheart had anything to do with Scottish devolution, anybody who had a go at me after I had had a go at someone else, anybody who had had a go at anybody else having a go at anybody who had had a go at me, anybody who had joined in the fray too late and had no one else to have a go at and was thus feeling left out and disappointed (I'm generous like that), anybody studiously sitting on the sidelines and refusing to have a go at anybody else (superior gits, that's what they are), anybody who blundered in unsuspecting and making fatuous or obvious remarks ... In fact I had a go at anyone, on the hour, every hour, even if the subject was of no interest to me at all. I just liked venting my spleen.

Being Whistlers arch-nemesis has been fraught with difficulty. The only time I ever stunned him to silence was when I mangoed him on this very forum. I was then reprimanded by a passing MOD for an illegal fruiting. Life is just not fair.

I also annoyed Marty once with a complaint about a montage. I still haven't seen the darn thing!

Awards? Several silly ones!

Nominations? Several silly ones!

Anything further to add? I like fruit. I also like fish. But the most astonishing fact of all is that I now know that all humour derives from just seven basic jokes. One of those is to do with falling over, the rest all involve jelly. Alexei Sayle revealed this to me a long time ago and I have never forgotten it.

Hama.
Hama
Ranger of the North

Postby satch » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:42 am

No place on the list for me, aye?

I feel so betrayed!!1

...Too lazy to make a profile anyway...
satch
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:26 am

As far as banned members are concerned there's nothing against us coming up with a profile in our own words, is there?
If we get something wrong, the member in question could let someone they are in contact with know, and the info would then be corrected - again using the words of present members.
It's not forbidden to talk about a banned member, and that's what we'd be doing by writing a profile for them.
I like the idea of an archive, but I'd prefer the profiles to be readable to all.

As to rants and dissing other members, however - what Ber said!
(And many thanks to Squiddy for doing the necessary modding!)

In that spirit:
Profile for satch: she smells! :P :wink:
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Whistler » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:13 am

Hama is really Dick Van Dyke.

There, it's about darn time that everybody knew it.
Whistler
Ranger of the North

Postby Mighty_Squid » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:33 pm

Thread reopened.

Please remember that it is ok to talk about a banned member. However, having them give you thier bio to post would be the same as you giving them your password and letting them post here. That would be getting around the ban. We just can't allow that.

Thank you for your patience.
Mighty_Squid
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:35 pm

Thanks MS and IE. :)
lava .. great idea. 8)
I will be back when I have more time!!!
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:46 pm

Just a small favour please? Can the mods merge any profiles still in the locked threads with this one?

Most of the rest of what's there should probably stay there....
Thanks!
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Ethel » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:57 pm

Sunsilver wrote:Just a small favour please? Can the mods merge any profiles still in the locked threads with this one?

Sadly, we can't. :( The board software allows us to split threads but not to merge them. So anyone who posted a profile in one of the locked threads - please cut and paste it here.
Ethel
Mariner

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:11 pm

The limitations of the software on this board surprises me sometimes. It's very different from the one I help moderate, which uses VB software. Oh well...maybe that'll be the next upgrade?? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:21 pm

If anybody cares to look I have updated my bio with the submissions I solicited from my fellow TORers :D

Oh and I am still taking submissions, I will add as I get (If i get) more. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:29 pm

EDIT: Oops. I posted an email here. :blush:

Cool Thread Iavas. I lurked in movies a bit but I never posted much. I like this idea and will lurk to see what others write. :)
Last edited by Thewhitetree on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Well, that was a little taut reminder of how quickly things in life can change. I've been putting off writing my profile but shall not wait now one moment longer. I want to be in the Red Book too!

Jnyusa

Age at joining: ummmmm .... born after the Civil War and before the invasion of Iraq. Joined Torc in between.

Most well-known title: Jny
The name is not an acronym for Janey USA or J in New York, USA. It is a name, pronounced Jen-YOO-sa

General stance on Jackson’s LotR: meh. Liked the EE’s better than the TE’s. Liked everything better after reading the eloquent defenses of Iavas and Voronwe and Tele. Never was impressed by cgi as a category of tool available to film makers, so Jackson’s film left me rather cold.

Description: Made looooong posts about morals, the universe, and the moral universe. Occasionally served up a pint for anyone who could figure out what I was saying. Used very few smilies. Liked it (and still do) when other posters put poetry in the threads. Greatly enjoyed the PvR wars and participated with a very sharp pencil.

Awards: Often a bridesmaid but only once a bride, in the 2004 TORCies, Most Enlightening Thread: Tolkien’s Moral Universe

Threads Started: "Going to Osgiliath," "Tolkien's Moral Universe," "The Modernization of Hope: Tolkien to Jackson," ...
and ... the very first one, which doesn't bear listing.

Moots Attended: The Philamoot! (in Philadelphia)

Personal Comments: (Meanwhile I'm still here.)

The first two people I ‘met’ on TORC were Voronwe and Iavas and they will always hold a special place in my heart. But every new poster has brought some unique gift to the boards and every one is irreplaceable. Laureanna once described the M00bies Forum as “our Alliance” and that is exactly the way I feel about it. The folks who are attracted to this forum all seem to have a special something, and they all feel like family, and we have our own culture that we will defend against anyone, and we can argue without losing our love for one another, just like family. The people here have contributed as much to my spirit as any people in RL, and whatever may happen to this forum in the future I will always look back on it as one of the richest places I have lived.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby SueB » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Name: SueB (Surviving Member)

Age or age group when joined: 38
Most well-known 'title': Heck, they've all been shining... :D
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Very enjoyable, not perfect but no problems worth losing sleep over.

Description:
Came to the books through the Rankin/Bass version of 'The Hobbit', which I still love, so there! Read the trilogy in high school in the late 70s but for some reason don't remember most of it, except that I think I mostly just skipped to the Sam and Frodo parts.

Saw FotR in 2001. Too distracted by studying for graduate degree to pay much attention to it.

Saw DVD of FotR in August 2002. Had degree by then, so could relax and realize that Boromir was hot stuff. Did not know Boromir *had* a little brother.

Joined TORc and got into the fray. Found out who Faramir was. Excitement!

Posted mostly in Movies and Fandom. Have met many excellent, intelligent people here. Put pancakes on Faramir's head. What more could a fan want? :)

Awards: Took Irolas to Second Place in the 2004 Man of Middle-earth Contest. He's still at Disneyland!

Sue :)
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:33 pm

Voronwe, Might you modify the name of this thread a little, we now have two threads with nearly identical titles and I find myself being very confused and I keep clicking on the wrong thread, kinda annoying.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Faramond » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:37 pm

It happened to you again, oldtoby.

Voronwe can't edit this thread. This is Iavas's thread.

I agree, it is confusing.
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Jnyusa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:39 pm

Confusion is sooooo M00bies. You have to save the whole thread, Iavas. Years from now we can sell on Antiques Road Show. :D

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:41 pm

Age or age group when joined: 17
Most well-known title: Eve or Imi
General stance on Jackson's LOTR: Loved it!! And that's probably the biggest understatemtent of the year. :)

Description:
I read the books when I was 15 and like them a lot however I hadn't read them for a second time when I heard the films were coming out. When I heard FotR was coming out (on my 17th birthday too! :D :D ) I got super excited and read the trilogy again between the first and second movies. I also joined TORC and Ringbearer a few months after. Ah yes, the rest is history. I'm now an official and maybe even licensed huggler and proud momma at the Emporium. :)

Awards:
-Best Cross-Forum Poster (2004 TALK awards)
-Best Coven (The Emporium, 2004 TALK awards)

Nominations:
-Most Likely to Post From Work (2004 TALK awards)
-Better Than Life (The Emporium, 2004 TALK awards)
-Mae Govannen (2004 WCA)

Threads Started:
-er...a lot in Talk, most known for the Emporium though
-I once started a thread or two in m00bies but they are long forgotten and at least one locked for redundancy. :P

Moots:
-no official moots, but 3 or 4 Michigan mini-moots. :D

Evenstar_of_Imladris

P.S. I can't believe I was already on the list...wow. :shock: :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:43 pm

Faramond wrote:It happened to you again, oldtoby.

<sigh> I need a vacation.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Cerin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:56 pm

Hama is Cary Grant!
Cerin
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:59 pm

Must be why he smells so bad. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Iavas_Saar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:01 pm

Thanks everyone for putting a big smile on my face to see this thread carrying on. :)

:grouphug:
Iavas_Saar
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien