Did anyone else dislike Aragorn flirting with Eowyn in ..

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Postby fbc » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:37 am

I think the pendant represents her love for Aragorn AND the immortality that she's ready to give up for him. I think the meaning of the Elfstone and of the pendant given to Frodo in the book were combined. People would be confused if they still made 2 separate jewels. :)
fbc
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IamMoose » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:19 am

Yeah I thought of the pendant that Arwen gave Frodo too. It does seem to have some sort of physical significance rather than just metaphorical but I don't know how it works.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Ingold » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:06 am

I was not happy with Peter Jackson's treatment of this relationship

In the end they should have been together
Ingold
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:16 am

Well that would have made Arwen's character rather extraneous, don't you think? :lol:
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby AtinielofGondor » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am

Elmtree wrote:I guess that's why his portrayal in the film bugged me so much! I felt all the Faramiry qualities were given to Aragorn. Maybe that was for the best, since by the end of the book I wanted to smack Aragorn upside the head and crown Faramir king.:)

Yes, this is a big fault of the books: Faramir should be King at the end and not Aragorn! The readers fall in love with the young, handsome, noble Faramir and then comes the ole ranger of the North and pushes away Faramir.

So, the changes of Faramir in the movies are understandable. Furthermore, we have a young, handsome Aragorn in the movies. So, we can understand, that Éowyn falls in love with him. I have never understood in the books, why Éowyn falls in love with this ole, ugly ranger. If I were Book!Éowyn, I would fall in love with Faramir on the first sight in the houses of healing.
Though in the movies, it is understandable, that she is consolating with another young, handsome man - Movie!Faramir.
AtinielofGondor
Shield Bearer

Postby enya2503 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 pm

i disliked it and it seems that many did so too...
enya2503
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Silmarien119 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 am

Um, since when is offering comfort (dream scene, with Eowyn visibly upset) and laughing/joking with someone "flirting"???? I'm honestly puzzled by this assertion. Should Aragorn have ignored Eowyn, or told her to shut up with her dang nightmares and go the hell back to sleep? I just don't see anything that movie Aragorn did as "flirting" in the least, and he certainly wasn't encouraging or leading her on.

In the movie it's quite clear that Aragorn respects and cares for Eowyn as a person (but not on a romantic level). That's how I saw it, anyway.
Silmarien119
Rider of the Mark

Aragorn in a love triangle.

Postby JorgePappy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 am

First of I do not think that Aragorn considers Eowyn as consort. He is just confused. If you look at the story of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendix you hear Elrond say “years of hardship await you”. It is clear that Aragorn feels troubled. What Jackson does in the movie he portrays that which is in a way “untold by Tolkien”. He shows how Aragorn is noble, and cares for everyone. He admires that a woman has such a strong heart to defend her people; much like Aragorn himself.

Just to show a love triangle in a real life. I am a boy and I meet a girl from the Middle East in college. In a short while we became close friends and due to culture, religion and various differences I told her about my feelings. We talked but regardless of the truth we left things in stand by. The semester ended and summer came and we took all our feelings with us. The following semester I very politely asked her about the situation. If we could be friends and allow a fraction of feelings to be shown or just pretend nothing was there. She drew a big line between the friendship we establish and being we became more than friends things where just not the same, and she told me to leave and not be in her life. Sooner I meet someone else and felt how things could be better. A part of me wanted to reach for truly my first love, but merely to restore what we originally had before any feelings where there. When she told me to leave her I told her “the friend you met, is and always will wait for you when things change”. So I know from experience where Aragorn comes from trying to be with a person above him in status and staying true to his heart, yet that noble side where I understood the situation and told her upfront, and the Eowyn that is turned down. So in a crazy real life story an Eowyn did got turned down.
JorgePappy
Petitioner to the Council

Postby portia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:31 pm

I did not feel that Aragorn was "flirting" with Eowyn. He was just being courteous and caring and treats her with respect, even concerning her sword handling. It was all on Eowyn's part. She has some hero-worship, and he is a person of whom she has probably heard legends, and he is nice looking to boot. A young girl in her position is very likely to develop a crush and imagine the man feels the same.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: Did anyone else dislike Aragorn flirting with Eowyn in .

Postby frodolives668 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 am

I thought Eowyn was going after him actually. Aragorn was just being charming because...well, he's Viggo Mortinson. What I mean is that if she was a middle aged, bald, and horribly ugly, he'd act the same way. I always saw him as one of those people who just admires all women regardless of their race, age, place in society... He's not a cheat; he's like that with everybody. I think she mistook that for physical attraction and tried to go with that. He never really wanted that to happen, he doesn't want to hurt her.

He's just an overall nice guy.
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien