AD&D Second Edition

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

AD&D Second Edition

Postby Drailon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm still oldschool when it comes to D&D. I've written worlds only pretaining to the 2nd edition. Is anyone else a fan of these old rules? Or do you prefer the 4th edition World of Warcraft rules that Wizards came out with :P
Drailon
Petitioner to the Council

Postby krawler » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:39 am

I've played about two or so years of 3.5 with a group in college, but only had my first session of 4th earlier this month. I've not been entirely won over by the new system yet, but I'm willing to give it more time. I can't say, though, that I understand why they would make such drastic changes to the game. Seems a bit too video game-ish to me, and one of the reasons I got into D&D in the first place because it was an alternative to video games (which I still enjoy, but need a break from every now and again, you know?).
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Drailon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:06 am

I agree. I think there is more imagination and creativity using the old game styles, thats why Gary Gygax's game of old still intrigues me. I'm also better off buying 2nd or 3rd edition books from used book stores rather than shell out $50 for each new book in the 4th edition.
Drailon

Postby krawler » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Agreed. It really cheesed me off when I noticed that the primary Player's Handbook has so few races and classes, and that one would have to shell out another $40 for the PHB2 just to get the other half of the basic starting races and classes. That's just bad form on the part of the makers.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Drailon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:03 pm

I know it's frustrating.
I remember the first module I ever bought, Dragonlance's Dragons of Despair. It was a good read. Then I bought The Lost City (which was where I should have started learning how to play). I still have my old dice from the 80's. That's how old I am. :P
Drailon

Postby Calma » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:58 pm

First Edition all the way...

I've looked at Second Edition and while it wasn't that much different than the version I learned to play the game with, I just preferred to stay with the one I learned to dance with. Besides, I already had all the books.

I have a few modules but I mainly use them as idea makers then go on with my own scenarios. I make a basic outline of what I want and where the players will be going, but the rest usually comes off my head. I learned a long time ago that no matter how long or hard you design, the players will find a way that you never saw coming and you'll have to go by the seat of your pants...

I have my dice from the '80's as well and I was in my 30's when I started, so now you know how old I am... :wink:

Gads, I love this game.
Image My Very First LOL

Funny Animal Month in the TVM!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 pm

I've never tried third edition, or even fourth editon if there was such a thing, I guess. THough I do own s 3rd edtion playiers manuel.
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby Parmamaite » Mon May 31, 2010 2:04 am

I used to play the 2nd edition. But when I started playing with my nephews a few years back, they more or less insisted that we should go by the 3.5 rules.

I like the new rules alright. In some points they're better than the old ones, and in others they're worse. The overall feel is more "video-gamish" as Krawler said. But there's also way more possibilities to 'tone' your character, and we enjoy that.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)