Star Wars The old Republic MMO

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

Star Wars The old Republic MMO

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Anyone playing this? My son got it for Xmas- what do you think of it?

I've been playing a little but I'm new to MMO (just got my butt kicked trying to play a group mission, - very embarrassing) Lots of the basics I'm not familiar with, the chat abbreviation for one thing - and the controls in combat though similar to the last online game I played (SW Battlefront II) feel totally different. It's difficult to keep my character looking in the right direction for one thing and that's frustrating.

Anyway, Opinions on this game or general advice for a newb would be appreciated.

Thx.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Calma » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 am

Hi, Glass House. :hihi:

I personally, don't play online games, but my bff does.
So I put your question to her via email.
She used to post here as SimplySable
Below is her reply.
Hope it helps.

I have the same problem with the controls...does he use the right and left mouse together to move? The problem I have is mostly in buildings and it was suggested that it might be my graphics card but not sure yet. My friend had me set my graphics to performance so the graphics arent as good ... still good but not as good...but it does let me move around somewhat better. All graphics are set to low and some of the ones are turned down or off.
I have found that if you target the mob and begin to hit they will sometimes face what you are attacking. Group missions are just that .. to be done with other players so that might be your problem unless you were with a group.
I'm one of those who dont like to group with strangers cause I do embarass myself at times too...*giggles* tho if you dont have ingame friends that would be a bit difficult. Personnally I have been having a great time with the game but then again I have family and friends to play with so that does make a difference.
Take it slow and steady and just have fun with the story lines and such. It does get frustrating when you cant move around very well...I also use a combo of the mouse buttons and arrow keys and wasd too...all my years doing World of Warcraft taught me about that...*smiles*. Most people in general chat are pretty helpful when you have a question especially at this beginning stage of the game so dont be afraid to ask questions.

Hope this helps a little.
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 am

Hi Calma! Thanks for the reply. I've turned the video settings down but don't notice that much of a difference. There isn't any noticeable lag but there wasn't before either.
I think it's just the type of game it is and the engine it's on which is completely different to the games I'm used to. It's awkward for me but the game itself is interesting enough to keep me going for a while yet.

I'll try to get my son to write his review of the game here for a more informed opinion.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)